Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Turkey's really love Christmas, well English turkey's anyway.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: johnneycool on June 24, 2016, 09:18:06 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 24, 2016, 08:49:53 AM
Lads. A border? Yes or no? If so what'll it involve? Soldiers or 'officials'

I'd laugh my balls off if the UK government decided that the only practical way to maintain a border would be at Stranraer, Cairnryan, Liverpool, Holyhead and the airports, that'd please Jim Allister!

As for the NHS, with this extra £350M per day, it'll be something else altogether   :o

Farage is already distancing himself from that this morning on Breakfast with Suzanna Reid interviewing him.
It was pure propaganda those figures and amazing they were allowed to run with them
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

muppet

The little boy in me gets excited by chaos and volatility. The rest of me tries to look for order.

The rest of me can wait today.

All Empires comes to an end, but this must be the first in history to vote for its own ending!

Borders, excise duties, trade agreements, will all probably become leverage in the exit negotiations and depending on who gets power in London, those talks could be very tough. Both sides might agree a quick solution for the 6 counties, as neither side will want to pay for it. But beyond that, expect threats of massive taxes on UK food exports etc., as part of the EU strategy to set an example to 'leavers'.

I agree with those who think this might be good for Ireland in the long run. We will be a 'friend' to Britain, the nearest large economy, still remain within the EU and be the only English speaking nation based in the EU for US companies. Once it settles down of course.

But in the meantime I will let the little boy in me enjoy the chaos.

MWWSI 2017

yellowcard

Economically I think it is a bleak day in the short term for ROI but particularly the north which will become extremely marginalised with a likely right wing government.

Constitutionally I think it is a good day though as I think it brings the national unity debate closer, maybe not today but its moved closer imo. 

illdecide

I think the big thing to worry about is future jobs especially here in the North, we usually get shafted first when there are cuts. For me a vast majority of this was done for racist motives, people couldn't bare other Nationalities moving in beside them and getting jobs. As the DUP stated "This will put an end to emigration"

Might need to think of a nice we border town to move too (on the other side ;)). You want to hear the Protestants in work here this morning talking about going to Dublin to get an Irish Passport...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

imtommygunn

Sf are already talking about it.

It's a result which may possibly suit them and definitely suits the snp.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: muppet on June 24, 2016, 09:31:45 AM
The little boy in me gets excited by chaos and volatility. The rest of me tries to look for order.

The rest of me can wait today.

All Empires comes to an end, but this must be the first in history to vote for its own ending!

Borders, excise duties, trade agreements, will all probably become leverage in the exit negotiations and depending on who gets power in London, those talks could be very tough. Both sides might agree a quick solution for the 6 counties, as neither side will want to pay for it. But beyond that, expect threats of massive taxes on UK food exports etc., as part of the EU strategy to set an example to 'leavers'.

I agree with those who think this might be good for Ireland in the long run. We will be a 'friend' to Britain, the nearest large economy, still remain within the EU and be the only English speaking nation based in the EU for US companies. Once it settles down of course.

But in the meantime I will let the little boy in me enjoy the chaos.

I'll have to back you in everything you say here, it is pretty funny to see how the Little Englanders have managed to create havoc. Hopefully a lot of MNCs are now looking at the next flights to Dublin.

smort

Quote from: illdecide on June 24, 2016, 09:41:29 AM
I think the big thing to worry about is future jobs especially here in the North, we usually get shafted first when there are cuts. For me a vast majority of this was done for racist motives, people couldn't bare other Nationalities moving in beside them and getting jobs. As the DUP stated "This will put an end to emigration"

Might need to think of a nice we border town to move too (on the other side ;)). You want to hear the Protestants in work here this morning talking about going to Dublin to get an Irish Passport...lol

Colleague beside me in work says they decided not to vote as their 'leave' vote was based on immigration issues and they realised that was wrong.

A lot of Protestant colleagues have said the same about getting an Irish passport

Hound

Quote from: themac_23 on June 24, 2016, 09:16:57 AM
Quote from: doodaa on June 24, 2016, 09:12:10 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 24, 2016, 09:04:23 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 24, 2016, 08:49:53 AM
Lads. A border? Yes or no? If so what'll it involve? Soldiers or 'officials'
I think there'll be willingness on both sides to leave the border as is.
Common Travel Agreement will remain. So long as Ireland doesn't join Schengen, which we won't.

My guess is there'll be a bit more security at ferry terminals on both sides, to bring it in line with the airlines.

I wouldn't be so sure on that, a "hard" border between north and south would suit the DUP and their supporters down to the ground.

So if i was polish for example i could fly to Dublin then hop on a bus to belfast no bother or border control? would kind of defeat the purpose. i would say a border is inevidable
If you're Polish, you'll have no problem going directly to Belfast, just like a Swiss or a Norwegian or Icelander can do now. It'll just be harder to work and live in Belfast.

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2016, 09:41:44 AM
Sf are already talking about it.

It's a result which may possibly suit them and definitely suits the snp.

Is this the reason why SF were conspicuous by the absence from the campaign trail? Not to their usual level of campaigning IMO?

yellowcard

Passport Office in Dublin will be under pressure in the next few months, unionists flat out looking to take advantage of the loophole.

Dinny Breen

So the last time the UK chose a policy of splendid isolation with a conservative government in charge, remind me how that worked out again!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Applesisapples

SF can posture all they like on a border poll, and the is all it is posturing. The fact seems to be at the moment a sizeable section of the formerly nationalist community have accepted the union, the fleg and gongs from the Queen. This has been reinforced by SF rolling over at every turn to DUP demands.

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 24, 2016, 10:01:49 AM
So the last time the UK chose a policy of splendid isolation with a conservative government in charge, remind me how that worked out again!!!

;D ;D

Don't mention the.......
MWWSI 2017

NAG1

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2016, 10:06:33 AM
SF can posture all they like on a border poll, and the is all it is posturing. The fact seems to be at the moment a sizeable section of the formerly nationalist community have accepted the union, the fleg and gongs from the Queen. This has been reinforced by SF rolling over at every turn to DUP demands.

Yeah funny the most recent one seems to have gone with very little comment on it.

I suppose when he worked for Liz be bad manners to turn it down  :o