Wicklow v Down. Aughrim 3pm Saturday. Live on RTE

Started by Trevor Hill, July 12, 2009, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Its winnable  :)

downman

we could have got worse draws...

INDIANA

Well Wicklow have already beaten 2 Ulster teams. They are hard to beat in Aughrim. Still as big a shithole as it was in the 70's.

bcarrier

Forget your traditional county prejudice . This is a very tricky fixture for Down.  I would have Wicklow under Micko as marginal favourites.

bennydorano

Be interesting to see the betting on this one alrite.  Think I'd fancy Wicklow.

Atticus_Finch

Think that's a good draw for Down.  They surprised a few people when they beat Laois by a comfortable margin. With their confidence up again, they've got a good chance.  I'd say the bookies would have Wicklow as favourites after dispatching Fermanagh and Cavan, depending on the price i'd be tempted to have a wee flutter on Down beating them.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Pangurban

Another good draw, that we can approach with confidence, we will certainly be favourites, even in  Aughrim Wicklow should not trouble us too much

magpie seanie

A great opportunity for both counties to progress. Wicklow will be hard beaten in Aughrim with a couple of wins under their belt. They have a few good forwards and plenty of guts.

The Real Laoislad

As bad as Laois were last night,I don't think Down are much better I'd fancy Wicklow to win this
You'll Never Walk Alone.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Pangurban on July 12, 2009, 07:10:47 PM
Another good draw, that we can approach with confidence, we will certainly be favourites, even in  Aughrim Wicklow should not trouble us too much

They troubled Fermanagh though. How many points was it that Down beat Fermanagh by?  ::) ::)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Dubh driocht

TAM I know you don't have much else to do these days but that, like youse, is history. Malachy O'Rourke had 6 months to prepare for that match and we know they are a limited but well organised side.They had nothing left after that whereas we have improved.
I don't fall for this great Micko stuff-I've met him and admire his record but he's a grumpy old get who has no respect for what Down achieved in either the 60s or the 90s.Just like yourself TAM.Down to win on the road and a handy draw with a provincial finalist could see us in the quarters .Bring it on.

Trevor Hill

Isnt it great that we can still provide a bit of interest for the Armagh posters, when Down go out they`ll have nothing left to complain about  ::)
I suppose they were all cheering for Kildare today.

TacadoirArdMhacha

If youse can't see how arrogant Pangurban's post was then there's something seriously wrong.

And yes, Trevor I was hoping Kildare would win. At least that's a more positive thing to be at than hoping your own county lose.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Trevor Hill

Nothing arrogant about pangurbans post, he is just saying what he thinks. I am sure the bookies may see it differently, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of optimism.
Anyway, you go and enjoy the cricket, at least you have something to keep you occupied during the summer.

thewobbler

For the 3rd week in a row, if Down had have been able to handpick their opponents they wouldn't have done much better. Obviously we would have preferred it in Newry, but one thing I would say about Down under Ross Carr is that away trips don't seem to bother us one iota.

Having watched the way Cavan played against Antrim, well let's just say that Wicklow beating them at home is no recommendation of their ability as a football team. The Fermanagh scalp was more impressive, but again, an unsusually good shooting day might have been enough; once you hit 12-13 points against the Erne men you are more or less guaranteed victory as they don't have the forwards to keep up.

So like most Down folks I'd be openly confident on this one.