Has Ross Carr resigned?

Started by swagger, July 20, 2009, 01:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swagger

ive heard a few people saying this, anyone know of any truth?
riiiiiiiiiite

Orior

Resigned to having nothing to do in August.

He should have good U21 players coming through. Might even include defenders.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

orangeman

Already planning for next year I hear.

swagger

i would give him one more shot at it, but the county board might not look at it that way
riiiiiiiiiite

Bensars

Top 16 finish is about right. He simply doesnt have the goods to work with. Its a far cry from the Down team he was part of.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: swagger on July 20, 2009, 02:48:52 PM
i would give him one more shot at it, but the county board might not look at it that way

He has had 3 shots at it. Why give him another when the majority of gaels in Down want him out. He has to go.

swagger

He has had 3 shots at it. Why give him another when the majority of gaels in Down want him out. He has to go.
[/quote]

fair enough, a lot of people in the county are calling for heads but it is hard to be successful when players who undoubtably have the talent but dont produce the goods. If Ross and DJ  were to go who would be the replacement?
riiiiiiiiiite

Zapatista

Quote from: swagger on July 20, 2009, 03:14:00 PM
it is hard to be successful when players who undoubtably have the talent but dont produce the goods.

I suppose that's down to management.

EDIT - Assuming you're right about the players.

corn02

The ability of the players is greatly exaggerated in Down, sadly Carr gets all the flak for this.

full back

The Down supporters cant get away from the glory years
Sooner or later they are going to realise the calibre of player just isnt there anymore

IMHO, Carr hasnt done too bad

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: corn02 on July 20, 2009, 03:19:40 PM
The ability of the players is greatly exaggerated in Down, sadly Carr gets all the flak for this.

easy for an outsider saying this. Try being a Down fan and you would realise Ross is not this great manager you make him out to be. If you only knew half off what went on.

corn02

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 20, 2009, 06:03:58 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 20, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

easy for an outsider saying this. Try being a Down fan and you would realise Ross is not this great manager you make him out to be. If you only knew half off what went on.

I'd be pretty confident I know as much as you about what goes on.

Anyway, I don't see where I have made him out to be great. For the stuff that went on it is fair enough to have grievances, but plenty of fans want his head because they think they should be doing better.

Truth is, over the last two years getting to the last 16 is not the worst achievement for a team of such a footballing level.

NaomhBridAbú

easy for an outsider saying this. Try being a Down fan and you would realise Ross is not this great manager you make him out to be. If you only knew half off what went on.....

So what is the other half of it then?

Down have had difficulty talking their underage players through to senior level.
No Martin Clarke
An unfit Benny Coulter for most of the season
additional injuries to key players
The same team that beat Tyrone last year...??

All Ross Carrs fault - get real. He was good enough to manage them against Tyrone and the players were poor enough to let him down many times in the Championship this year?
I would like to see him get a crack at one more year with a fit team - and whilst i am a Tyrone fan, and not a down fan i am sick of this soccer fan mentality regardng managers -
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Leo

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on July 22, 2009, 08:29:34 AM
easy for an outsider saying this. Try being a Down fan and you would realise Ross is not this great manager you make him out to be. If you only knew half off what went on.....

So what is the other half of it then?

Down have had difficulty talking their underage players through to senior level.
No Martin Clarke
An unfit Benny Coulter for most of the season
additional injuries to key players
The same team that beat Tyrone last year...??

All Ross Carrs fault - get real. He was good enough to manage them against Tyrone and the players were poor enough to let him down many times in the Championship this year?
I would like to see him get a crack at one more year with a fit team - and whilst i am a Tyrone fan, and not a down fan i am sick of this soccer fan mentality regardng managers -

Of course a Tyrone fan would want Ross & DJ to stay on with Down....

As for your silly comment about the soccer fan mentality regarding managers what does this say about the profile of one Mickey Harte in your own county?
And the way McKenna was summarily ousted to make room for him?
And who can say now that that decision  was wrong?

It is true that the likes of Tyrone have a much better pool of talent than Down at present but there is no way that Fermanagh, Wicklow or Tipperary have a better pool than Down, not by a long shot.

Let us remeber Ross & Dj for the great players they were in red and black. It hasn't transferred to management. I never expected it to as their previous management sojourns in Monagahan were not exactly earth-shattering.

They should know this themeselves but I don't expect them to resign, they will make it a painful process for a dithering county board.
Fierce tame altogether

NaomhBridAbú

As for your silly comment about the soccer fan mentality regarding managers what does this say about the profile of one Mickey Harte in your own county?
And the way McKenna was summarily ousted to make room for him?
And who can say now that that decision  was wrong?

MCKenna and Big Art - entirely different. This was a typical County Board approach to replacing a management team - similar to Armagh, big Joe and Grimley. There needs to be dignity in all of this for sure, but thast not my point.

Its as much down to the fans to manage their own expecations ( where soccer fans a la Newcastle/Spurs/ West Ham etc think they genuinely should be winning trophies every year because they WON acouple IN THE PAST)
A few games ago Down beat the All ireland champions in a thriller - what has happened this year is more down to a lack of depth than the inibility of a strong management team. Pete McGrath would not have done much better than Ross, given the injuries and lack of strength in depth.

As a Tyrone fan I want to see a strong Down - and Armagh - - love seeing Antrim on the rise - its all good for Ulster football, adn the AI Series...

I Hope he gets another crack at it

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye