Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 06, 2019, 08:46:34 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2019, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 05, 2019, 05:11:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2019, 04:50:37 PM
Fergie got rid of McGrath and Whiteside due to the drinking, but not Robson.

McGrath proved him wrong though, going on to play fantastic stuff for the guts of a decade afterwards. Even with the dodgy knees.

Fergie was told that McGrath was on the verge of forced retirement when he took over but won league player of the year the following year. Reading McGraths book Graham Taylor saved his career, gave us the Italia 90 McGrath. His career dipped after that because Taylor took the England job. We only remember the good points at the world cups etc. Fantastic footballer, cleaning out Baggio in USA 94 is highlight for me, one of the best players Ireland have produced.

Fergie offered McGrath a lump sum to retire. McGrath wanted to play on despite his knees. He won POTY in 1993. That was long after Taylor left. He was still playing well up until he left Villa, in 1997 I think.

I honestly think Fergie didn't want McGrath to go to another club. He wanted him retired. He knew he was a fine player and it would've been a dent to Fergie's ego if he left and played really well for another club, which McGrath did. And by proving Fergie wrong (which McGrath said he wanted to do), it made Fergie's decision to let him go, a bad one.

I had it in my head he won POTY in 89 for some reason. Must read his book again. When you think about it Robbo was finished by 92 realistically and McGrath was still going well after it. I'm not saying Fergie was right btw. The same man thought he could have kept Gazza right but let McGrath go.

I've heard others say maybe Fergie could have handled Gazza, but never heard Fergie say it himself.

Robson was only a bit-part player from the start 92/93, definitely on the wane.

snoopdog

While McGrath was a great defender. The drinking culture at Utd had to stop. Robbo was never going anywhere and Whiteside had been crippled after visiting a physio in glentoran while in Belfast so he was gone. Utd faired alright without big Paul.  I was in osheas in Manchester about 10 years ago and Paul came in wasted. Some idiots tried to buy him drink. Sad reflection and it happens alot of our big sports stars. Best higgens McGrath

BennyCake

United did do alright with McGrath, and I suppose there's always the chance he wouldn't have been as big a legend at United, had he stayed, as he was at Villa.

Paul was on with Tommy Tiernan recently. He spoke about his troubles, and said he does take a drink every so often. When you hear that, there's always the fear he'll go off the rails again. I know there's always that chance even if someone is going to AA meetings, but while you're visiting pubs/off license now and again, the chances would be greater you'd imagine.

Same thing with Keith Gillespie. He said a while back he's got the gambling under control. I only put about £20 on the football at the weekend he said. Again there's always that chance it can get out of control.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: BennyCake on June 06, 2019, 11:03:21 AM

McGrath proved him wrong though, going on to play fantastic stuff for the guts of a decade afterwards. Even with the dodgy knees.

Fergie was told that McGrath was on the verge of forced retirement when he took over but won league player of the year the following year. Reading McGraths book Graham Taylor saved his career, gave us the Italia 90 McGrath. His career dipped after that because Taylor took the England job. We only remember the good points at the world cups etc. Fantastic footballer, cleaning out Baggio in USA 94 is highlight for me, one of the best players Ireland have produced.

Fergie offered McGrath a lump sum to retire. McGrath wanted to play on despite his knees. He won POTY in 1993. That was long after Taylor left. He was still playing well up until he left Villa, in 1997 I think.

I honestly think Fergie didn't want McGrath to go to another club. He wanted him retired. He knew he was a fine player and it would've been a dent to Fergie's ego if he left and played really well for another club, which McGrath did. And by proving Fergie wrong (which McGrath said he wanted to do), it made Fergie's decision to let him go, a bad one.

I had it in my head he won POTY in 89 for some reason. Must read his book again. When you think about it Robbo was finished by 92 realistically and McGrath was still going well after it. I'm not saying Fergie was right btw. The same man thought he could have kept Gazza right but let McGrath go.

I've heard others say maybe Fergie could have handled Gazza, but never heard Fergie say it himself.

It was in his first book. Not that he would have saved him, but the move to London wasn't the wisest for Gazza and in Utd they could have controlled that better. To be fair at the time of that book going out people didn't realise the extent of Gazza's problems

magpie seanie

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 06, 2019, 01:14:09 PM

It was in his first book. Not that he would have saved him, but the move to London wasn't the wisest for Gazza and in Utd they could have controlled that better. To be fair at the time of that book going out people didn't realise the extent of Gazza's problems

I think there are/were a lot of parallels with Rooney and Gazza. I think it's certainly possible that Fergie would have helped him realise his potential.

BennyCake

I have Fergie's first book here. Not read it yet.

Read Gazza's Autobiography a while back. I used to look at him as just a big child, an eejit. But the man had real problems. He had two or three mates of his die in childhood, including a lad that was run over by a car in front of his eyes. He had brought him up the street and told the lads mum he'd look after him. Can't remember the circumstances of the others, but that one stuck in my head. He obviously should have had counselling as a youngster. But sure he was working class, so what chance of that happening?

shark

Villa only survived relegation by 1 point in '89. They came 2nd in 1990, and David Platt won POTY, so maybe that's where you're mixing up. McGrath was immense in 1992-93 season, but Villa blew up in the last month.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 06, 2019, 01:27:06 PM

I think there are/were a lot of parallels with Rooney and Gazza. I think it's certainly possible that Fergie would have helped him realise his potential.

He would have been coming in as Utd were on the rise and prob wouldn't have ended up in Italy but god knows. Rooney was a natural talent from a working class background that peaked early but he hasn't the deep seeded issues Gazza has. Fergie would have tried better to control him than Spurs did. He said the deal was done and Spurs landed in and bought Gazza's ma a house to get the deal done.

Boycey

Insane Bolt

David McKeown

Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 16, 2019, 12:12:38 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48652521

Can't see any team paying 90 million for him.

If no club is willing to pay the right price which for me is well in excess of 90 million Then he should stay. Send a message out that no one is bigger than the club.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

maldini

How do you work out Pogbas value as well in excess of £90m?

Over the Bar

Quote from: maldini on June 16, 2019, 04:07:38 PM
How do you work out Pogbas value as well in excess of £90m?

On the basis Andy Carroll was worth £35M 8 years ago!  ;) ;D

BennyCake

Just spotted Eric Cantona playing in Soccer Aid. Just realised it's been 22 years since he left United. Jaysus, where has the time gone?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on June 16, 2019, 09:46:42 PM
Just spotted Eric Cantona playing in Soccer Aid. Just realised it's been 22 years since he left United. Jaysus, where has the time gone?

Set up the goal, should have had the return pass to score
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea