Antrim, the way forward

Started by Milltown Row2, October 30, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

I know this is slightly off topic but our club Roger Casements have a big fundraising drive on now to build a second pitch and upgrade existing facilities.

We have car loads of club volunteers out selling tickets for a prize draw in neighbouring parishes etc. Next Friday night will see our sixth completed week and hopes are high that by then we will have £100k of sales.

If one club can achieve this in so short a period you have to ask what the bloody hell could our county not do if it was remotely organised!!!

JimStynes

Joe Edwards as chair  ::) ::) Jesus christ

SaffronHeart

What club is Brendan Wilson associated with now McDs are gone? Surely you should have to be a member of a club to be on a county board. In my eyes he is a prime example of a person who serves his own interests rather than whats best for the county. From what I know about Terry Reilly (the supposed organiser) he is an Antrim man through and through who has Antrims best interests at heart.

brendanbelfast

I'm quite happy to explain why I'm prepared to go forward again; I think I can (i) do a good job as PRO and (ii) play a useful role as part of a wider group which has a shared vision for our county. It is also clear to me that the group seeking election are prepared to put in the effort and energy to try and change Antrim for the better.

So on the basis that we can either wait around and hope for change to come about, or try and actually change things, I'm going with the second option.

brendanbelfast

If the new group gets elected en masse then everything is changed, its a chance for the county to make a new start.

bannside

I wonder when the Saffron Vision group will start to get round the county to articulate their vision to the clubs and regional boards. This will be essential because there is a clear misunderstanding  amongst some that this group are a bunch of businessmen who have no relevant experience in the world of Gaa officialdom.

Knowing a lot of the group, nothing could be further from the truth, but the club officers who mandate their delegates at AGM would need this level of assurance too. A round of meetings should adequately clear up this misconception.

culchie11

Bannside I don't think clubs should facilitate such talks or clarification process. They issued their statement now let it run and let clubs vote. I for one wouldn't let mr Reilly come talk to anyone after a voicemail I heard he left the south Antrim chair, bully boy tactics r still alive and well in the west! If I was IT literate I would post it here for all to listen.

U should also talk to ur own club as some I spoke today at cargin game that aren't on same hymn sheet as urself in no uncertain terms!

hurlingstick

Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2015, 04:35:26 PM
I cannot agree that Joe Edwards is anywhere near capable for chair, let alone more than capable. While you praise him on fixtures, cast your mind back to what made Antrim the biggest laughing stock in the country this year, with us being ridiculed on the Sunday Game?

Better the devil you know is a cop out. The devil we know has been a total failure and if we don't try an alternative, now that the opportunity has arisen, we can only blame ourselves. There is no guarantee that the alternative will be better but if you don't try something else, you'll end up with the same result. They have denied that they are scrapping divisional boards btw.

Finally, the fact that a man who has given money to Antrim for the last number of years is unhappy with those using the money says a lot really.

Joe Edwards has done a fantastic job in the various posts he has held. Not everyone's cup of tea but puts the graft in. Fixtures run smoothly and nobody pulls the wool over his eyes. Do you know how many voluntary hours he puts in a week? Never claims expenses, exactly the type of honest workmanship needed.

Clover

Quote from: hurlingstick on November 01, 2015, 08:54:53 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2015, 04:35:26 PM
I cannot agree that Joe Edwards is anywhere near capable for chair, let alone more than capable. While you praise him on fixtures, cast your mind back to what made Antrim the biggest laughing stock in the country this year, with us being ridiculed on the Sunday Game?

Better the devil you know is a cop out. The devil we know has been a total failure and if we don't try an alternative, now that the opportunity has arisen, we can only blame ourselves. There is no guarantee that the alternative will be better but if you don't try something else, you'll end up with the same result. They have denied that they are scrapping divisional boards btw.

Finally, the fact that a man who has given money to Antrim for the last number of years is unhappy with those using the money says a lot really.

Joe Edwards has done a fantastic job in the various posts he has held. Not everyone's cup of tea but puts the graft in. Fixtures run smoothly and nobody pulls the wool over his eyes. Do you know how many voluntary hours he puts in a week? Never claims expenses, exactly the type of honest workmanship needed.

Clover

Hurling stick your right about joe well said  does a job were everyone hates him but does it fair so good luck to him

hurlingstick

Quote from: Clover on November 01, 2015, 09:18:39 PM
Hurling stick your right about joe well said  does a job were everyone hates him but does it fair so good luck to him

We can't tar everyone with the same brush. If we adopted that line of thinking every club would be w#$@ers because of a select few. Joe works his socks off. He deserves credit for his giving of time and effort. I'm not speaking in favour of the current board but I am speaking out for someone who I know first hand gives his all.

bannside

Culchie I saw you yesterday at the match and afterwards hard in discussion outside the dressing room.

It's not the oul hands you need to convince. It's the younger smarter gael who isn't prepared to take much more of the same kind of shite for much longer. Those men you talked to know no better. They have been so used to seeing our county fail for so long now that they have accepted that as our eternal fate. By the way I was talking to both of them an hour ago in the club.

In fact if you see my post this morning it is that Saffron Vision need to educate the typical clubman that they are every bit as good and dedicated and experienced a gael (and might I add with the potential to be much much better) as those who have gone through regional boards as their springboard in recent years.

bannside

Hurlingstick & Clover your sticking up for the work of Joe Edwards is admirable. I don't know the man but yes I acknowlege that he has been in the bear pit fighting fires and trying to sort out Antrims problems for the best part of ten years. Does he not need a rest at this stage? Does he not think himself that maybe things just haven't gone as well as he might have liked.....and that maybe letting a different face/voice/crowd in might be in the best interests of the county???

Just thinking like.....

bannside

Culchie another point.

What have you against letting clubs or regional boards host an information session to hear what Saffron Vision have to offer. You would be welcome to join the discussion and stand up and voice your concerns.

My feeling is that because the county is in such a mess that the emergence of a group who are presenting themselves with the sole purpose of sorting this mess out for once and for all should be welcomed. Exactly why would you not be in favour of that?

bogieman

Fair play to wee joe. He has done a sterling job so far, long may it continue.
This is not Irish dancing. -RH