The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on August 27, 2018, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 27, 2018, 07:13:23 PM
How would you suggest addressing the athletic development issue ?
Laps

We have no structure or Co-ordinated plan,we are  a long way behind the big and even medium  guns so we need to work smart and hard to catch up

We have 16 u15 hurling teams with roughly 300 players in total

Here's my plan October to March

Friday/Saturday evening hire a sizeable sports hall or school hall in laois

Week 1
Get 2 clubs full u15 panels in both the Friday and Saturday nights with mentors,go through and show the requirements needed,these go home and do the 3 weeks program as set out by the GDA's/S&C person

Week 2 next 4 clubs,Week 3 next 4 clubs,Week 4 next 4 clubs

Week 1 clubs come back in Week 5 for an assessment of where they are and what tweaks/adjustments need to be put in place.

They then come back in Week 9/13/17

GDA's should be on hand to visit clubs when they are doing their 3 week "home" cycle if at all possible

I look forward to Ye ripping it to shreds.

merman

I have no problem with that suggestion clonadmad. Well thought-out and crucially, not hugely expensive or demanding too much of too few.

We spend a lot of time criticising the County Board and I suppose, by extension perhaps, the Laois GDAs.

What we really need is the clubs taking ownership of their player development. They should be pushing for a plan like clonadmad is suggesting. Look to adapt it across their juvenile structures.

There are definite flickers of hope that some clubs have woken up to this.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: clonadmad on August 27, 2018, 11:26:49 PM
Laps

We have no structure or Co-ordinated plan,we are  a long way behind the big and even medium  guns so we need to work smart and hard to catch up

Week 1
Get 2 clubs full u15 panels in both the Friday and Saturday nights with mentors,go through and show the requirements needed,these go home and do the 3 weeks program as set out by the GDA's/S&C person

Week 1 clubs come back in Week 5 for an assessment of where they are and what tweaks/adjustments need to be put in place.

GDA's should be on hand to visit clubs when they are doing their 3 week "home" cycle if at all possible

Not the worst idea I have ever heard but should be applied to both football and hurling

SCFC

Laps

Week 1

Excellent idea. I seriously recommend that you email that to the county board.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 28, 2018, 10:16:55 AM
Laps

Week 1

Not the worst idea I have ever heard but should be applied to both football and hurling

You'd have crossover already with a certain amount of footballers on hurling teams

But,yes it could and should be rolled out to cover all u15's

Ogie

From reading a lot about Limericks underage academy, led by Joe McKenna & Gerry McManus you can see the detail & efforts they have gone to,

Same with Kilkenny, who are excellent at upskilling coaches and giving kids & parents something to belong to & want to be part of, their s&c programme led by Sean Kelly for all of the kids from u14 upwards,

Cork also, as said earlier here their set up is miles ahead as can be seen from last weekend with their s&c coaches & hurling coaches with the u14s,
We have to have a plan!! Otherwise it's just a wish!!

at the National Coaching conference this year Brian Cuthnert have a presentation on a great plan about implementing the acadamey through secondary schools have a look below

https://youtu.be/ZLlu4F-Lhcw

Zooming around

Quote from: Ogie on August 28, 2018, 12:24:16 PM
From reading a lot about Limericks underage academy, led by Joe McKenna & Gerry McManus you can see the detail & efforts they have gone to,

Same with Kilkenny, who are excellent at upskilling coaches and giving kids & parents something to belong to & want to be part of, their s&c programme led by Sean Kelly for all of the kids from u14 upwards,

Cork also, as said earlier here their set up is miles ahead as can be seen from last weekend with their s&c coaches & hurling coaches with the u14s,

at the National Coaching conference this year Brian Cuthnert have a presentation on a great plan about implementing the acadamey through secondary schools have a look below

We have beaten Limerick in each of the last two Tony Forristals. There's obviously some good work being done.

clonadmad

Quote from: Zooming around on August 28, 2018, 01:41:47 PM
Quote from: Ogie on August 28, 2018, 12:24:16 PM

We have beaten Limerick in each of the last two Tony Forristals. There's obviously some good work being done.

I'm not for a minute being critical of the coaches there at the minute,Zoom

In fact I'm the opposite

I want to deepen the number of options the mentors can choose and improve everyone that picks up a Hurley at u15 in this county.

Ogie

Those Tipp, Limerick, Cork teams etc will reconvene in November and follow a 12-14 week s&c programme before beginning training 2-3 times a week next year, our lads won't have that continuity
It will be meet up again next spring for an hour of a Saturday.

We have no overarching plans to bring a groups through improving them all the time

Zooming around

Quote from: Ogie on August 28, 2018, 03:06:54 PM
Those Tipp, Limerick, Cork teams etc will reconvene in November and follow a 12-14 week s&c programme before beginning training 2-3 times a week next year, our lads won't have that continuity

We have no overarching plans to bring a groups through improving them all the time

Me and my three sisters are at an age where, between us, we have four teenage sons and two twelve year olds all of whom play hurling. Three of the boys are currently on development squads so basically we're on the road the whole time and I see first hand a lot of what's going on. Last year, The U14s did 8 weeks of S+C work in Heywood before Christmas and 8 after Christmas (as U15s). That's a bit more than "meeting up next spring for an hour". The current 15 year olds are an excellent group, both the players and management. Their results and progress are of the highest order. This year's 14s mentors carried 48 at any one time. Overall, between injuries, call ups etc over 50 players were involved in a county set up. They all improved dramatically and they were very competitive in their games. All players, including the very weakest, were treated very fairly and got lots of game time each day.

Our biggest problems i think are:

1. Our playing population is just too small. Contrast our numbers with Tipp, Cork and Galway.

2. Dual issue. While players are encouraged to play both the simple fact of the matter is you can't be a top level hurler if you're equally committed to anything else.

3. Our Secondary Schools are just not operating at a high enough level.

clonadmad

Quote from: Zooming around on August 28, 2018, 03:41:36 PM

Me and my three sisters are at an age where, between us, we have four teenage sons and two twelve year olds all of whom play hurling. Three of the boys are currently on development squads so basically we're on the road the whole time and I see first hand a lot of what's going on. Last year, The U14s did 8 weeks of S+C work in Heywood before Christmas and 8 after Christmas (as U15s). That's a bit more than "meeting up next spring for an hour". The current 15 year olds are an excellent group, both the players and management. Their results and progress are of the highest order. This year's 14s mentors carried 48 at any one time. Overall, between injuries, call ups etc over 50 players were involved in a county set up. They all improved dramatically and they were very competitive in their games. All players, including the very weakest, were treated very fairly and got lots of game time each day.

1. Our playing population is just too small. Contrast our numbers with Tipp, Cork and Galway.

2. Dual issue. While players are encouraged to play both the simple fact of the matter is you can't be a top level hurler if you're equally committed to anything else.

Zoom while I agree with you on the u15's in terms of players and mentors,the one issue I would have is that didn't run trials for anyone outside the group this year or last.

The 3 points that you have raised are correct,how would you overcome or try and bridge the gap?

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on August 28, 2018, 04:10:51 PM

Zoom while I agree with you on the u15's in terms of players and mentors,the one issue I would have is that didn't run trials for anyone outside the group this year or last.

The 3 points that you have raised are correct,how would you overcome or try and bridge the gap?

Nothing can be done about point one and very little can be done about point two as we are a genuine dual county. I'm not in favour of making lads choose too early. Point three is the one where we can make an impact. It will  need serious planning though as a number of our schools simply don't have enough interest in or backing for GAA

Unlaoised

Quote from: Zooming around on August 28, 2018, 05:11:35 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 28, 2018, 04:10:51 PM

Nothing can be done about point one and very little can be done about point two as we are a genuine dual county. I'm not in favour of making lads choose too early. Point three is the one where we can make an impact. It will  need serious planning though as a number of our schools simply don't have enough interest in or backing for GAA

Point 3 is nearly the most mportant because thats were lads the the real bug for the game and you play with Club rivals against other county men!
LAOIS ABÚ

South Laois man

If only we had a Jp McManus type to bankroll us. That would solve a lot of our problems. Young fellas need to be well looked after and all that costs serious money.

redsetanta

Could you have a situation where hurling coaches could go in to the secondary schools a couple of times a week? Or maybe the schols teams head up to Heywood fro a couple of evenings a week for some intensive coaching etc. I suppose the problem is that many of these kids are probably already on development squads. Are these squads training/meeting between now and January?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi