The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

In nearly every position the Dublin player was way bigger than his Laois counterpart.

finbar o tool

Quote from: burdizzo on May 26, 2018, 07:16:01 PM
In nearly every position the Dublin player was way bigger than his Laois counterpart.

Ive said it before, we are 10 years behind some other counties. every "top" county have a winter physical development programme for all their underage teams from u13 up. We started this with our u13 group last October/November but at a very basic level I believe. Supposed to be setting up the same for the other teams this coming winter, but loads of other teams have been doing this for years!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Tobias

Quote from: finbar o tool on May 27, 2018, 10:36:13 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on May 26, 2018, 07:16:01 PM

Ive said it before, we are 10 years behind some other counties. every “top” county have a winter physical development programme for all their underage teams from u13 up. We started this with our u13 group last October/November but at a very basic level I believe. Supposed to be setting up the same for the other teams this coming winter, but loads of other teams have been doing this for years!
Quote from: Tobias on October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM
Interesting to hear the news of Donal Og Cusacks imminent arrival to Clare. It's a very shrewd move by Davy Fitz following a bit of a turbulent season west of the Shannon. Things were going stale down there but the arrival of Cusack as coach will really give the players renewed optimism and they will be excited by the new approach that he will bring.
I think a similar appointment in Laois would be very welcome, in the same role as a coach to work under cheddar. I think laois were a little short on ideas this year and the likes of galway found out how to play against us. I think Ger Cunningham has been good but I think a change is needed and a bit of a shake up to keep the interest of the players. I know it might be difficult to get a high profile coach, the likes of Cusack would have been ideal for us. There are people out there but I know Laois might not be the most attractive proposition.

The decision of Pat Crichley to return back to the underage structures is absolutely vital for the future of the game in our County. I think the minor set-up also needs a new approach and a new impetus. The Management appointment is a huge one as this minor team has got real potential, it hasn't happened over the past couple of years for our minors as they have had good teams but hopefully our fortunes will change next year.

In my opinion our current county team is not good enough to succeed at the highest level, our minors and under 21s have failed over the past few years with what we considered to be reasonably good sides. Our development squads 14,15,16 this year were not at the races which is a real shame and a concern, hence my reasoning for starting this thread.
I think Pat Critchley is the man to head up a complete overhaul  of our outdated underage structures and I feel it's a root and branch plan needs to be drawn up that will ultimately produce better players to play for our County at development squad and County minor level. People have a perception in laois and indeed outside of laois that we have underage structures that puts other counties to shame, that's not the case. Compared with some counties we are well behind.

Maybe we don't have the resources for this but a 'Laois hurling school of excellence' should be set up with a number of different strands to it. I would set up a player development committee to monitor each County players progress from the age of 13 to 18. Plans would be drawn up by each respective development squad management and reviewed by members of the committee and monitored regularly from year to year. Players would be put on strength and conditioning (within reason for juveniles)programmes as well as  a hurling skills programme to work on the weaknesses. Top coaches with minimum of level one coaching coarse should be deployed to look after these teams with the help of the development commitee.
I would also regionalise the setanta programme, divide it into four hurling strongholds in Laois. The reason for this is kids wouldn't have to travel to portlaoise every weekend and it would encourage more to get involved. We would then have four strong divisions rather than one. Supervised Buses should also be provided to transport our young hurlers to 'county training'.

I am well aware the we probably don't have the funds to implement the structures we would like and to be fair Cheddar has done his fair share of campaigning to the powers that be to get us the funding we need.
Basically I think we need to go back to the drawing board and try to put something in place that would give us a some chance of success in the future. I hate being too pessimistic about our chances but I am a realist and we just can't keep doing what we are doing. Any thoughts on this?

redsetanta

It's no coincidence that both Cheddar and Zoom were involved in managing county teams during our relative success at senior and minor. At minor we beat Wexford and Offaly and ran KK close.

These men have to remain involved and given every help possible as I have no doubt they would eventually bring success
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

https://twitter.com/CLGLaois/status/1007976037945413632

Leinster Minor Hurling Q/final  (2nd half, 64min) Laois 1-14 (17) Offaly 2-19 (25)
All over hard luck lads.

WTF?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

burdizzo

Oh dear. Back to the second tier next year now, I presume?

mountrath1

Thats a big setback again. How were we led to believe that this squad was the best prepared team we have produced in a while from the rumblings here. And to go through the season as not winning a competitive game, albeit they were competing in Tier 1. How was that experience of playing in that level not utilised today to beat a Tier 2 team in Offaly. Questions need to be answered in that context i feel. On a development note, what has the county set in place for these players now with respect to improving them as players and coaching and overall athletic development. Are we continually going to run a 6 month cycle, where no development would be made outside of that 6 months. No monitoring off the field in relation to development.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

blueandwhite1

Quote from: mountrath1 on June 16, 2018, 05:15:23 PM
Thats a big setback again. How were we led to believe that this squad was the best prepared team we have produced in a while from the rumblings here. And to go through the season as not winning a competitive game, albeit they were competing in Tier 1. How was that experience of playing in that level not utilised today to beat a Tier 2 team in Offaly. Questions need to be answered in that context i feel. On a development note, what has the county set in place for these players now with respect to improving them as players and coaching and overall athletic development. Are we continually going to run a 6 month cycle, where no development would be made outside of that 6 months. No monitoring off the field in relation to development.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Who led us to believe this was a team that were expected to do well? This team was always going to struggle as they did at U14/15/16 level. There is a few decent lads on it and they did really well against Wexford. The teams coming after them did better in the various tournaments and more is expected. I agree with your general points though - not enough development work by a long shot.

SpeculativeEffort

Mountrath1 makes a very good point. These lads are 17 and the county is finished with them until u20/u21. How will this help them develop? At the very least the LCB should have scholarship for any player playing Fresher or Fitzgibbin hurling at 3rd level. These players need to be developed. They might not all make the top grade but their continued improvement would help add depth to a very shallow pool of talent at senior level.

Unlaoised

Laois GAA Executive has tonight put in place a selection committee who are tasked with recommending a new Laois Senior Hurling Manager . The committee comprises of 1. Eamon Jackman Ballinakill 2. Nial Rigney Portlaoise 3.Declan Conroy Rosenalis. We wish them the best of Luck
LAOIS ABÚ

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Unlaoised on June 18, 2018, 10:47:43 PM
Laois GAA Executive has tonight put in place a selection committee who are tasked with recommending a new Laois Senior Hurling Manager . The committee comprises of 1. Eamon Jackman Ballinakill 2. Nial Rigney Portlaoise 3.Declan Conroy Rosenalis. We wish them the best of Luck

3 good men.
BUT why is there never a rep of CLG Laois (Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer) also on the committee?
Is it an effort to distance themselves from an appointment if it goes tits up?!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Jd

I wonder if Derek McGrath would be an option for senior manager. He turned out Waterford with a very definite plan(sweeper, short passing game) seems to have developed a bit of depth in Waterford too. Might suit our lads to have a bit more structure to their game. He probably wouldn't want it but no harm in asking

merman

Quote from: Jd on June 25, 2018, 12:55:15 PM
I wonder if Derek McGrath would be an option for senior manager. He turned out Waterford with a very definite plan(sweeper, short passing game) seems to have developed a bit of depth in Waterford too. Might suit our lads to have a bit more structure to their game. He probably wouldn't want it but no harm in asking

He'd be an excellent option but it's completely unrealistic.

I'd be amazed if the next Laois manager was anyone but Arien Delaney.

Keyser Söze

McGrath is not going to happen and realistically the man appears burnt out. Hard to see him summoning the energy to do what he did in Waterford with Laois.
Also, we'd have county board meetings and online forums calling for his head for daring to use a sweeper!!

Arien Delaney would be a good option. He cares. I wouldn't see it as a done deal however, from either party!!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Jd on June 25, 2018, 12:55:15 PM
A few boys on here lost their shit when Cheddar played a sweeper. I don't theyd approve of a gent like Derek.