The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

Also, perhaps as an aside.

I queried before why cumann na mbunscol weren't brought in under the GAA umbrella and a now retired teacher told me that there is a strong belief among teachers that they are the best people to arrange, organise and promote Gaelic games within our schools. I must say, the veracity of and insistence in his argument convinced me entirely and I would still say his general point probably holds true. I'm reasonably sure, as Rory Delaney alludes to, that this is very much a rare exception.
However, we see in this instance a naievity among the general cumann na mbunscol organisation (in Laois at least) where they seemed to assume that their 'ethos' and 'values' were strong enough that something like this would not happen. It seems their rule book is too open and needs to be addressed. Things like this shouldn't happen but when you leave the door ajar, you're always running the risk of someone smashing through.

Incidentally, is the lady in question the driving force behind these new Development Panels? The Tipperary lady?
I haven't heard much about them to be honest, positive or otherwise, but I would hope they're not structured and set up to in any way promote elitism and winning over skill development and general enjoyment and engagement.

LOVEGAA

Shame on the principal and adults involved with this school team.
How low do they have to stoop to get a win?  What about the lads on the B team who were pushed aside for the quest for glory?

Laois hurling struggles at the best of time and this carry on doesnt help the cause

SpeculativeEffort

Just on a side note regarding the Cumann na mBunscoil county panels. At U10 and U12 club GAA has moved towards raising participation and away from the winning a all costs attitude. This attitude is similar to that of CnaB.

However now we have an intercounty panel for CnaB players. Surely this is a step towards making all these games hugely competitive.

Are we casting the net too narrow at a very young age? I believe only 20-25 players are involved.
Is there not the possibility that 100-150 children could avail of  this organised coaching and up the standards throughout the county?

Not saying its a bad idea but it will not solve all our problems at underage.

The Rover

This is an absolute disgrace. How can the principal of Castletown school stoop so low
bringing both the school and local club into such deceitful behavior, shame on all involved. The parents and local club should do the right thing and demand that this is rectified.  Why should the people of Castletown have their good name and reputation dragged trough the mud by the low sneaky carry on of the School principal and chairperson of CNBS.
SHAME ON ALL INVOLVED.

clonadmad

Vacancy for the chairperson of laois cnab as of today

Story now has national prominence with one of the journalists who broke the story being interviewed tomorrow evening

Dave like the tv channel

I'd agree with some players being brought up to buffer the smaller lads, but they should not have been allowed to win. The school could have conceded the game beforehand, or simply made substitutions when necessary.

It's not only in CnB that this happens though.

clonadmad

http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/06/01/laois-cumann-na-mbunscol-chief-steps-following-controversy

Hopefully now someone will have the cop on to put in a motion to close the loophole which allows A squad members to shuttle up and down the divisions the closer you get to a semifinal and a final.

The penalty should be immediate expulsion for the school from all CnaB activities for the year.

The same needs to be done at u12 level with the county board also.

steven seagal

QuoteThe penalty should be immediate expulsion for the school from all CnaB activities for the year.

So, because of a few stupid decisions by a handful of adults, we should ban an entire school and club from providing hurling to 10-12 year old children? Would you get a grip of yourself, that's a stupid thing to say.

clonadmad

Quote from: steven seagal on June 01, 2017, 10:51:00 AM
QuoteThe penalty should be immediate expulsion for the school from all CnaB activities for the year.

So, because of a few stupid decisions by a handful of adults, we should ban an entire school and club from providing hurling to 10-12 year old children? Would you get a grip of yourself, that's a stupid thing to say.

If the sanction is that severe then they won't do it in the first place.

You seem to be more in favor of the transgressors than the victims,then again that seems to be a common stance with you

What sanctions would you come up?

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2017, 10:55:06 AM
Quote from: steven seagal on June 01, 2017, 10:51:00 AM

If the sanction is that severe then they won't do it in the first place.

You seem to be more in favor of the transgressors than the victims,then again that seems to be a common stance with you

Punishing innocent children is not the answer.

Public floggings is the answer.

steven seagal

QuoteIf the sanction is that severe then they won't do it in the first place.

What on earth are you talking about, this is the first time I have commented on this? Relax yourself and cut out that bullsh*te for a start.

In no circumstance, where a child has done nothing wrong, should a child suffer on the back of the stupidity of an adult. The Chairperson is gone, and rightly so. To extend that, perhaps a moratorium on anyone from the school holding a position on the county Cumann na mBunscol committee for the next 3 to 5 years, and the school should hand over the trophy, and let Knockmay have their own presentation. I don't see what more can or should be done.

Banning Cumann na mBunscol or U-12 club teams is utterly ridiculous and only serves your own interpretation of justice. It's not justice for the children in Castletown, they still deserve to play hurling.

Laoisguy

Expel them all
Quote from: steven seagal on June 01, 2017, 11:12:59 AM

What on earth are you talking about, this is the first time I have commented on this? Relax yourself and cut out that bullsh*te for a start.

In no circumstance, where a child has done nothing wrong, should a child suffer on the back of the stupidity of an adult. The Chairperson is gone, and rightly so. To extend that, perhaps a moratorium on anyone from the school holding a position on the county Cumann na mBunscol committee for the next 3 to 5 years, and the school should hand over the trophy, and let Knockmay have their own presentation. I don't see what more can or should be done.

Banning Cumann na mBunscol or U-12 club teams is utterly ridiculous and only serves your own interpretation of justice. It's not justice for the children in Castletown, they still deserve to play hurling.

Well done Seagal,

Cant believe someone would put forward banning kids from playing

clonadmad

Quote from: steven seagal on June 01, 2017, 11:12:59 AM

yeah banning all teachers from an offending school from the CnaB committee  will wound them grievously all right and it wont stop them from doing it.

The actions of the Castletown mentors were a disgrace on so many different levels,they broke every principle of good coaching,underage Laois hurling has been dragged through the mud again barely a month after the incident with Clonaslee and we are a national laughing stock yet again.

bottom line,every other serious GAA county divides and submits its lists of players if they have more 1 team,get caught and you ll face very severe sanctions

As for your idea,that Castletown should hand over the Cup,you obviously missed the point

They haven't broken any rules because there was no rule and/or sanction with regard to this in the first place.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2017, 11:36:13 AM

They haven't broken any rules because there was no rule and/or sanction with regard to this in the first place.

They should still hand over the cup. The offered resignation of the Chairperson is evidence that they realise wrongdoing has occurred.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on June 01, 2017, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2017, 11:36:13 AM

They should still hand over the cup. The offered resignation of the Chairperson is evidence that they realise wrongdoing has occurred.

It doesnt say it anywhere in the rules, thats the reality.

So if they want to keep it for the year,they will and given the principals attitude at the EGM,id be very surprised if they take the sporting approach and hand it back

The ideal scenario would be that Knockmay and the proper Castletown B side are allowed play for the trophy again and CnaB mgmt spend a few bob and make a big deal of both sides.

Bottom line,Juvenile Hurling is not fit for purpose in Laois at the minute

1.No refs to ref u12 games,player gets injured,when insurance looks for refs report,hows that going to work out
2.A shambolic CnaB rulebook which left the competition wide open to sharp practice and which now has national prominence
3.Similar situation in the u12 competition with players being shuttled up and down the divisions and no rule in place to prevent it
4.National prominence given to bad behaviour