Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Hound on July 12, 2010, 09:23:31 AM

Jeez Zap, did you look at it or what?

Sludden didnt give the umpire any chance, he didnt want to know. He just ordered him to award the goal. Now maybe he should have stood his ground and refused to wave the flag unless Sludden gave him a proper hearing, but that's about as likely to happen as Sheridan holding his hands up and saying it wasn't legal.

I'v looked at it over and over. There was an exchange of words between Sludden and the umpire. It was hard to see who spoke first as sludden was running away from the camera but it looked to me like the umpire did. We have no idea what was said. It took a few second and the umpire looked like his opinion was confirmed by Sludden.

Your version of events are sensationalised which does noboady any good.

lynchbhoy

was also looking at the umpires during and after the 'goal' on the replays last night.
The 'other' umpire even made a move to lift the flag after the ball was in the net, but stopped when he realised he was beside the white flag !

far from what was said on this thread earlier yesterday when it was said that sludden went in ant told the umpire to raise his flag with no consultation etc
I also agree with Zap that there was some communication between the two before the umpire raised his flag.
I suspect that sludden only had to say 'goal?' or 'was it a goal' and the umpire did seem to say something which coul dhave been 'aye' then sludden seemingly told him to put up the flag.
so whatever was said - there was some communication.
But - the umpires were fecking way wrong.
From yesterday, I am convinced we now must have TV replay capabilities incorporated into our championship mathes. Far from taking up too much time, maybe like american football and tennis - a manager can have three 'challenges' where the game will pause for a minute and the footage reviewed.
Also I hate to admit it, but we now def need fences around grounds to keep fans off.

If I were in the GAA hierarchy, I'd be asking questions about why they were paying so much money for stewards and gardai and none of them surrounded the ref after a 'controversial' game- as is normally the custom and procedure !

Sean boylan when put on the spot on the radio this morning stated that he would have to look back at the whole game and all the incidents (louth kicking the ball away and the frees the ref gave against meath or didnt give meath) before he could make a decision on whether he would offer a replay. He said the meath county board would be fair!

Jinxy

Looking at the Mark Ward pictures this morning I think we were blessed that calmer heads prevailed and a melee didn't break out involving players & fans.
That could have been truly horrific.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JMohan

Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2010, 10:16:16 AM
Looking at the Mark Ward pictures this morning I think we were blessed that calmer heads prevailed and a melee didn't break out involving players & fans.
That could have been truly horrific.
??

JMohan

One Meath man doesn't agree ... Trevor Giles calls for a replay

Jinxy

I think the county board will offer a replay.
And I think the players will have no problem whatsoever with that.

JMohan

Jinxy

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2010, 10:31:09 AM
I think the county board will offer a replay.
And I think the players will have no problem whatsoever with that.

I think they will too. There are proud men in Meath, as we've seen from the reactions here, and Colm O'Rourke last night, in all fairness to him. I think they'd sooner take their chances in a replay than hang onto a title over which there'll always be question marks. Meath mightn't go on to win the Championship but they will show they know what the game is about. Best of luck to them tonight.

magpie seanie

There should be no replay. Louth should be awarded the game by the CCCC as is provided for in the rules. Let Meath object if they see fit to.

Banna Man

I think if it goes to a replay Meath will win. If there is a replay who will do ref.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Banna Man on July 12, 2010, 10:55:40 AM
I think if it goes to a replay Meath will win. If there is a replay who will do ref.

If this happens in will be Pat McEnaney.

Banna Man

As long as they would not try to rub salt into the wound anf give it to Martin Sludden

JMohan

Well hang on a second ...

It's not up to Meath either ... the decision has to be or should be made by the GAA

The Meath CB could easily say that too and wash their hands of it.

omagh_gael

One thing is clear, Joe Sheridan is not a cheat, BUT...

he could be forgiven for claiming it as a goal at the time and maybe shortly after the game. However, after reading that interview with the Examiner he would sicken your hole. Talk about a lack of honour and decorum. He says it should have been allowed because use he was over the line before he let go of it/threw it. For fcuk sake Joe how did the ball get over the line? Whilst you were holding it! Thus an illegal goal. It doesn't matter if you were fouled (you weren't) the goal shouldn't have been given and you should have to grace to say so.