Photography

Started by Pangurban, April 28, 2007, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Any board members with an interest in Photography

Brick Tamlin

just got meself a Canon eos 400d i think it is...looking to give the sports photography gig a go and look into a bit of amateur or free lance photgraphy, this camera will do me for entry level photgraphy for the time being

his holiness nb

i just bought a canon 350d with the winnings of a 11 game nfl accumulator!

Just finding my way around the camera now, anyone know any good night courses in the east meath area?
Ask me holy bollix

Pangurban

God Lads we have the makings of a board Camera club.  Canon 350D And 400D both excellent Cameras, but to get full use you will need to be fully conversant with their wide ranging capabilities.  Mid -Louth i recall you talking about buying a Camera in America, would be interested to hear how you got on, did you eventually purchase there. Re classes in East Meath, i know Drogheda has an excellent camera club, best place to learn

AZOffaly

I have the Canon EOS 350D as well. I'm starting to experiment with Scenery shots, but I think I need a 300m lens as well.

We should post up our better photos :)

Aerlik

I've been doing a bit of photography now for about 15 years and have only recently bought my first digital camera, a wee Canon Sureshot 430, stick in your pocket thingy so that I can take pictures of the wee lad and email them to the family at home.  I have two Canon SLRs from the early '90s and all Canon lenses.  It has been a labour of love but I can take a decent auld snap now, mainly because I read books about it.  The "probleim" with digital SLRs is that the actual skill of taking photos for the most part is lost what with Photoshop etc.  So, my advice is get an ordinary SLR, get some good books, actually Photography for Dummies is good as it explains F-stops, AE, Tv, P, etc in layman's terms and get advice on film.  I only use Fuji  Velvia, Sensia  and Provia.  Then when you have nailed the techniques, progress on to a digital SLR.  I'm considering the Canon EOS 3 but still a case of want as opposed to need.  Maybe next Christmas.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

scalder

I have a Canon EOS 400D – class piece of kit – I've 2 lenses the one that came with it and a 300mm lens which gives great distance but shake is a problem –looked at a stabilised lens but they are seriously pricy!

I'd like to get an intermediate lens that would allow for wide angle shots –ie groups and also head shots, any suggestions lads? Something that would work for a wedding say when you don't want to be carrying more than one lens.

I must get a monopod and try some sports photography.

The Claw

Quote from: Aerlik on May 01, 2007, 05:58:25 AM
I've been doing a bit of photography now for about 15 years and have only recently bought my first digital camera, a wee Canon Sureshot 430, stick in your pocket thingy so that I can take pictures of the wee lad and email them to the family at home.  I have two Canon SLRs from the early '90s and all Canon lenses.  It has been a labour of love but I can take a decent auld snap now, mainly because I read books about it.  The "probleim" with digital SLRs is that the actual skill of taking photos for the most part is lost what with Photoshop etc.  So, my advice is get an ordinary SLR, get some good books, actually Photography for Dummies is good as it explains F-stops, AE, Tv, P, etc in layman's terms and get advice on film.  I only use Fuji  Velvia, Sensia  and Provia.  Then when you have nailed the techniques, progress on to a digital SLR.  I'm considering the Canon EOS 3 but still a case of want as opposed to need.  Maybe next Christmas.
I picked up a Canon Rebel 2000 SLR for $150 dollars plus a lens in New York. They said the price was $300 but they cant wait to get rid of them. Hope to progress onto a ditigal at some stage but would like to develop the original skills first.

Pangurban

Mid-Louth Not able to access your Photos from link provided, just getting an ad. with sample photo of Penguin. Heres a link to my Web-Site  www.aislingimages.co.uk.  Understand the problem with stabilisation on Canon Lenses. Canon build anti-shake technology into the lens instead of the Camera, rendering the lenses very expensive. Claw your best option would be a 55--200 Zoom lens which would cover all your options

Pangurban

Mid-Louth, i tried again, receiving notice...No thumbnails or permissions, access denied

Pangurban

Difficult site to navigate. The shots of Dog are top class images. Liked the river and beach shots though think they are a touch under-exposed. Good Lens sharpness and D.O.F, looks like you got an excellent buy. Thanks for the link, im always interested in seeing other peoples photographs. Keep snapping, the next shot is always the best

his holiness nb

cheers lad, this thread finally got me to get off my arse and upload my pics to a web based gallery!
Most of these are shot on a kodak 6490, I just got the canon 350D recently.
You will see the kodak wasnt great for the floodlit or indoor (wrestling) pics.
I'm still finding my way around it to be honest as you can see with the experimental water shots at the end of the landscape gallery.
Heres the link .....
http://neilsgallery.mysnaps.org.uk/
password : govinda

Some very crappy pics there I know and I do need to get my arse to a course, but I think theres one or two decent ones there too.
Ask me holy bollix

Pangurban

Hairyhog i have the Panasonic FZ7, nd am happy to recommend it, Zoom is excellent,though a little difficult to control precisely, image quality is excellent. However you may be better looking at the Fz50 which has 10 megapixels with the same anti-shake zoom lens, and not a great difference in price if you shop around

Kerry Mike

Lads anyone know the best photo hosting site. Something free, quick to load and can handle large files sizes.

I use an Olympus C-3020 Zoom that I bought in NY in 1998, was the bees knees at the time and cost about 250 bucks, they were about 500 quid here at the time, it an ancient dinosaur of a digital camera by modern standards, only 3.2 mega pixels and kills me on batteries but it still takes a great photo. I have been threatening to upgrade for the last few years to possibly a Nikon D40 of similar but will hold tough until I'm in the states again.

Pixmania.com is a fairly cheap site for loads of photographiuc equiment.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

his holiness nb

Mike fotopic.net is a goodie, I just started there yesterday.
Takes big files, some of my pics are 8.1 mp.

Ask me holy bollix