Welders

Started by Apparently so, June 11, 2014, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apparently so

Just a wee question for any welders on here. I have decided a career change is in order as I'm sickened with the horrible shite I'm working presently. I recently applied for a welding job and will have to undergo a weld test sometime in the next week before being considered. I have done a bit of welding in the past but its been a while and I wouldn't say I am the most skilled at it. If anyone has any experience with these weld tests, how hard are they generally? The ad for the job never specified how skilled I had to be, just said they were looking for welders who they would be willing to train up to a good standard while working. Would love to get the job but actually rather nervous about this weld test. Don't want to go into it not having a clue if its anything too difficult  ;D

Anyway, the question really is how hard are the tests usually if they were advertising for semi skilled welders basically? Would you only need to know the basics essentially?

Are there many young lads doing welding courses these days? Have heard from some other folk that there is a shortage of welders about or that most of them are a good age

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Apparently so on June 11, 2014, 07:49:06 PM
Just a wee question for any welders on here. I have decided a career change is in order as I'm sickened with the horrible shite I'm working presently. I recently applied for a welding job and will have to undergo a weld test sometime in the next week before being considered. I have done a bit of welding in the past but its been a while and I wouldn't say I am the most skilled at it. If anyone has any experience with these weld tests, how hard are they generally? The ad for the job never specified how skilled I had to be, just said they were looking for welders who they would be willing to train up to a good standard while working. Would love to get the job but actually rather nervous about this weld test. Don't want to go into it not having a clue if its anything too difficult  ;D

Anyway, the question really is how hard are the tests usually if they were advertising for semi skilled welders basically? Would you only need to know the basics essentially?

Are there many young lads doing welding courses these days? Have heard from some other folk that there is a shortage of welders about or that most of them are a good age

Time served and have been teaching it for the past 13 years.

few questions,

what type of welding did you do in the past? MIG, MMA, GAS, TIG?
Where did you work in the past (line of work)
Where is the job for?

If its a semi skilled post then it will be a basic visual test I'd imagine, at most a dye pen test. If it's for a proper welding job then you need to be coded to a certain standard (set by specifications) and the weld test can be very difficult and tested to a high standard.

PM me and I'll give you more details and might know the company as I'l have dealt with the majority of engineering firms in Belfast and beyond
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Picture of a famous welder from the 1980's relaxing at home.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Nice hamstring stretch!!! Part of that dance was done by a fella!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Apparently so

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2014, 08:17:16 PM
Quote from: Apparently so on June 11, 2014, 07:49:06 PM

Time served and have been teaching it for the past 13 years.

few questions,

what type of welding did you do in the past? MIG, MMA, GAS, TIG?
Where did you work in the past (line of work)
Where is the job for?

If its a semi skilled post then it will be a basic visual test I'd imagine, at most a dye pen test. If it's for a proper welding job then you need to be coded to a certain standard (set by specifications) and the weld test can be very difficult and tested to a high standard.

PM me and I'll give you more details and might know the company as I'l have dealt with the majority of engineering firms in Belfast and beyond

Cheers Milltown. It has been a couple of years since I done any welding at all. I had a period before that where I was working for a relative and was doing some welding for him. Welding gates and stuff like that or just anything he needed done. Nothing too difficult tbh. Mostly MIG but there was some work that had to be done with MMA as well so would know how to use both although as I have said, I wouldn't be the most skilled welder you have ever seen although can weld to a good standard once I get going. The job opening was specifically for MIG welders

The job was actually advertised through a recruitment agency so no idea who the firm is that is hiring but they are going to get me up for a weld test soon with them. They did say they would be willing to train and improve anyone that is hired so gives me hope that they could take me on although I wouldn't maybe be as qualified as other applicants

Milltown Row2

Don't panic then, you'll be grand, MIG welding is the easiest you can do. Settings and gas setting important, I'd imagine it will be either a T fillet joint or a wee open box weld which will have corner joint, flat and possibly a vertical, shouldn't be longer than 150mm for each joint. Plate thickness 4/5mm. If it's a solid core wire the push the torch along, if it's a flux core wire the pull it along the joint. Again befriend someone at the company and ask them usually they'll help you.

Yeah engineering is thriving at the minute, any amount of jobs available

Apparently so

Thats brilliant Milltown, cheers. Has kind of put my mind at ease just having an idea of what I will be going into. Hopefully all goes well

GJL

Sorry to hijack the thread here. Milltown Row do you know much about alloy welding? I have a basic 180amp MIG welder that we use for usual car stuff. Exhausts etc. I see you can buy alloy reels for the welder. Are they any good. All I want them for is doing repairs on alloy wheels that are cracked. What you think?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on June 11, 2014, 11:52:33 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread here. Milltown Row do you know much about alloy welding? I have a basic 180amp MIG welder that we use for usual car stuff. Exhausts etc. I see you can buy alloy reels for the welder. Are they any good. All I want them for is doing repairs on alloy wheels that are cracked. What you think?

There is a firm that does that nuluk wheels I think, we'd trainees with them a while back and that's what they did. yeah basically you'll need the correct alloy wire for welding, you might need a new liner (were the wire runs through to the torch) as it might give you some defect as it would have mild steel cuttings inside. the gas would need changing, pure Argon maybe, again depends on the alloy. I'd give it a good prep before welding and have a go on some scrap stuff you have. I'd say it's a temporary fix though in fairness I haven't seen it done to tell you otherwise