WELL DONE DECLAN BOGUE - SUNDAY TIMES SPORTS BOOK OF THE YEAR

Started by raisins, December 07, 2011, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisins

:) Wonderful to see an Ulster journo get recognised at this level. And a great journo too!

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

raisins

Maybe I am a nice person trying to get people to buy the book lol lol. I am not HE alas...

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

raisins

THIS IS OUR YEAR NAMED AS BOOK OF THE YEAR

Declan Bogue's book This Is Our Year was yesterday (Sunday December 4) judged by the Sunday Times to be the 2011 'Sports Book Of The Year.'
Michael Foley of the Sunday Times said: "It dominated the back pages in October, mainly as Donegal's Kevin Cassidy was expelled from the county panel due to his contribution.
"When the dust settles on that story, the book's legacy will endure.
"Viewing the 2011 Ulster championship from the perspective of 11 players and managers across the nine counties, Bogue manages to get close to the soul of a ferociously competitive championship and offer a glimpse of the life of elite GAA players.
"Well-constructed and confidently written, the insights gleaned here show the benefits of veering off the well-beaten autobiographical track."

bennydorano

I've bought this book and am more than half way through it, have to say it's a fantastic read, original and very honest from the players involved.  Paddy Cunningham comes across as a bit of a ballbag imo.  I'm sure boys like Dick clerkin were delighted with the opportunity to show they are much more than the neanderthal that alot of people view them as.  You can only have sympathy for Fermanagh as well - the boys who stick with it, Owens in particular obviously.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Minder

Quote from: bennydorano on December 07, 2011, 07:06:49 PM
I've bought this book and am more than half way through it, have to say it's a fantastic read, original and very honest from the players involved.  Paddy Cunningham comes across as a bit of a ballbag imo.  I'm sure boys like Dick clerkin were delighted with the opportunity to show they are much more than the neanderthal that alot of people view them as.  You can only have sympathy for Fermanagh as well - the boys who stick with it, Owens in particular obviously.

Will probably buy it this week, what does Cunnigham say to make you think that Benny?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

I take it this won The Sunday Times (Ireland Edition) Sports Book of the Year.

Minder, you know the drill by now when you've finished reading it. Maybe I'll get my copy of The Clib back too...

bennydorano

Quote from: Minder on December 07, 2011, 10:17:23 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 07, 2011, 07:06:49 PM

Will probably buy it this week, what does Cunnigham say to make you think that Benny?
Hard to pinpoint anything in particular, just an attitude. I'm sure plenty of others would think differently than  me. "defeatism is like a cancer in a squad" acc to Kevin Cassidy, Cunningham exudes it.

saffron sam2

A colleague in work lent me a copy of this publication. I got to about page 3 before I came across the first factual error. I got to page 77 and came across a scandalously misused apostrophe. That was enough for me. I have a fair idea what happens anyway (SPOILER ALERT - Donegal win Ulster but lose AI semi-final to Dublin), so the remainder of the book will probably hold no real surprises.

How in the name of all that is good and holy can The Sunday Times reward this book with such a prestigious title, when basic grammar competence is absent?

I have recently purchased a multi-fuel stove. Suffice to say it burns books too.

Agree with the comments re. Clerkin and Cunningham though.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2011, 11:33:38 AM
A colleague in work lent you a book and you are considering burning it?

You're dead on.

Because that's all that's wrong with the post?!!

I read breakfast on Pluto yesterday and there were about three typos in it, didn't mean I fuced it into the fire
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hashtag

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 21, 2011, 11:23:29 AM
A colleague in work lent me a copy of this publication. I got to about page 3 before I came across the first factual error. I got to page 77 and came across a scandalously misused apostrophe. That was enough for me. I have a fair idea what happens anyway (SPOILER ALERT - Donegal win Ulster but lose AI semi-final to Dublin), so the remainder of the book will probably hold no real surprises.

How in the name of all that is good and holy can The Sunday Times reward this book with such a prestigious title, when basic grammar competence is absent?

I have recently purchased a multi-fuel stove. Suffice to say it burns books too.

Agree with the comments re. Clerkin and Cunningham though.

What kind of stove did you get? I bought a Tara stove at the start of the year. Got it cheap enough too. Went for the Non-Boiler model as the layout of my house supported this. Blast out good  heat.What do you mostly use on it. I use coal, turf, and logs.

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 21, 2011, 11:23:29 AM

Are semicolons difficult to find on the word processor?

Do you mean 'needless to say' or 'suffice it to say'?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.