The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Boycey on June 23, 2016, 02:01:39 PM
You are a wild hard bunch of lads, I hope none of you ever have a difficult decision like that to make. Family first every time....

Some of the stuff written here especially about McIlroy is embarrassing.

That post is embarrassing - difficult decision = Nike telling him he cant play for financial/ contractual reasons.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 02:05:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 23, 2016, 01:59:11 PM
And of course no kids are ever born before their due date.

If he wants to cover up to a few weeks early and obviously a few weeks late then he obviously won't play for at least month. Which is almost unheard of in professional sports.

Of course it could come down to zika and apathy.

I'd say Zika and Apathy have quite a bit to do with it, maybe Zico as well :),  but also being out of the country he lives in while his wife gets ready to give birth would have to be another factor.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: NAG1 on June 23, 2016, 02:22:36 PM
You are a wild hard bunch of lads, I hope none of you ever have a difficult decision like that to make. Family first every time....

That post is embarrassing - difficult decision = Nike telling him he cant play for financial/ contractual reasons.

So by that logic - he's not going to play the Ryder Cup either??

heganboy

I'm not suggesting for a moment that the golfers are withdrawing only for sponsorship reasons, but they are definitely a factor.

For example, nike golfers can only have nike logos on their apparel and clubs and balls. Most golfers like Lowry or GMAC have many logos, hat brand, arm, collar, front of shirt etc etc. Not for the nike "brand ambassadors" Nike logos only.

The golfers playing in the olympics are constrained from this (take a look here for more details http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/article/preventing-an-ambush). In Ireland's case the brand is new balance, so all of the golfers would have to wear NB gear and no other logos. That would mean that all of the global tv and media coverage would show the golfers in NB gear. As a former sponsor of golfers, I know that I would not be happy to pay a few hundred thousand dollars and not get my brand on the olympic coverage. The sponsorships are where the golfers make their money, not really the prize money. In this case those are multiple year deals, and the upside of the olympics is significantly lower.

So look at Rory, New Balance, who have just launched their golf range and who have no commercial relationship with Rory and who own the image rights to the Irish Olympic Council pics, would then be able to post those images of Rory in NB gear globally. Conversely Nike, who have made a significant investment (apparently $20M a year for 10 years) in Rory and who do have a ongoing and very involved relationship with him would be able to do nothing about it.

What would you do?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gabriel_Hurl

Again - will Nike ask him not to play in the Ryder Cup?

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Is this a documented statement?

trueblue1234

Quote from: Puckoon on June 23, 2016, 04:43:29 PM

Is this a documented statement?

Naw looks more like a web forum post to me.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Some bitter and twisted logic being applied here.... If he agreed to go at the time surely Nike gave him the ok? no? Or has this been a recent thing that was reintroduced into his contract?

As for all the golfers not going that could go, do they get he same abuse? gold page doesn't get any real posts for a bit, then hey presto Rory's in the news and the vultures come out!!

As for GMAC, using his wife's pregnancy as an excuse is genius .... its an easy one for the numpties to accept, bit like Trump telling his followers he's a lovely guy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

I'm always happy thanks.

Just don't understand the hate for an Irishman who's one of the top 3 performers in his chosen profession.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 05:13:33 PMSome bitter and twisted logic being applied here

Rory's the wrong kind of Irish in the eyes of some people.

If he was born 50 miles south - would the same rubbish be spouted? I highly doubt it.

Kidder81

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 23, 2016, 05:17:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 05:13:33 PMSome bitter and twisted logic being applied here

If he was born 50 miles south - would the same rubbish be pouted? I highly doubt it.

He doesent see himself as Irish though

Gabriel_Hurl

And?

He was born on the island of Ireland, wasn't he?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 23, 2016, 05:17:04 PM

If he was born 50 miles south - would the same rubbish be pouted? I highly doubt it.

If he'd been born on the Falls road and supported Celtic and Liverpool, he'd be a fecking Legend .... Nope, he went to his local school has friends from a Prod background (living in Holywood that would be the case) supports the Ulster rugby team and I'd say has a mild interest with the soccer lads, as it would not have been a sport he'd have been into....

Happens to speak his mind, huffs when he has a shit game (who doesn't) and not please the ones who want to claim them as their own!! Nope get that big stick out and beat the shit out of him!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea