Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Its been a really enjoyable few weeks, last night was always going to be a lot more difficult against one of the more tactically astute defensive managers in the game. Defending at set pieces is still a bit of a shambles which was very evident with the goals conceded against Huddersfield & Bournemouth, we're far too slow to react to the 2nd ball. Newcastle looked dangerous on the counter attack last night, Atsu got a lot of ball when they've countered; Something that I'm sure will be worked on although Valencia looks like he's finished to me. Shaw can add more going forward too, defensively he's certainly improved but there were times last night when he looked too ponderous going forward.

Mourinho's buys don't look as bad as many have made out either, interesting to see how Sanchez does from now on.

Boycey

Obviously great to see some positivity knocking around but am I the only one feeling a little cheated? Watching Pogba sprint 80 yards last night to try get on the end of a ball, its something we saw very little of over the last 2.5 years..

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Boycey on January 03, 2019, 04:05:59 PM
Obviously great to see some positivity knocking around but am I the only one feeling a little cheated? Watching Pogba sprint 80 yards last night to try get on the end of a ball, its something we saw very little of over the last 2.5 years..
Who do you feel cheated by? Pogba himself or Mourinho where his attacking players were rarely allowed to express themselves or play off the cuff due to the slow and low risk football with side to side and backward passing over the last few years.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on January 03, 2019, 04:05:59 PM

We were all cheated by having Mourinho as the manager. Players and supporters. That's why I went on so much about it.

Boycey

There's no excuse for not trying and there's 2,3 maybe even 4 players who could do with a taking a long hard look at themselves?
Whatever the relationship between manager and player, once you cross the white line, play for yourself, your professional pride, your fans whatever. Player power is a dangerous thing..

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on January 03, 2019, 07:29:46 PM
There's no excuse for not trying and there's 2,3 maybe even 4 players who could do with a taking a long hard look at themselves?
Whatever the relationship between manager and player, once you cross the white line, play for yourself, your professional pride, your fans whatever. Player power is a dangerous thing..

Mourinho wouldn't let them play. He hasn't the first clue what to do with creative young players. If you cannot accept or realise this then I'm sorry for you. Mourinho was not capable of doing the job so he was sacked. That's it. I know you like Mourinho for some bizarre reason or maybe you're upset to be proved wrong but it's a time to move on. Mourinho gave up trying and just waited for his pay off but the players never did. Their confidence was just shattered because they were being told to do things that were counterintuitive to them and being criticised regularly in public. Now they have coaches around them who believe in them and encourage them to be the best they can be. The players were the ones who were cheated the most.

Kidder81

Absolutely Boycey, the players have got some free ride in all this. Man Utd fans paying a fortune to go and see their team for players to pick and choose when they would try. Who is to say it won't happen with Pogba for example the next time a manager questions his attitude. United won't be playing Cardiff and the like every week.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 03, 2019, 07:43:19 PM

Absolutely Boycey, the players have got some free ride in all this. Man Utd fans paying a fortune to go and see their team for players to pick and choose when they would try. Who is to say it won't happen with Pogba for example the next time a manager questions his attitude. United won't be playing Cardiff and the like every week.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Milltown Row2

Two sides to this and I'd hate to think players who are getting fecking hundreds of thousands were hiding and deliberately refusing to play for the club, what was undeniable was Jose tactical play also.. score hold on and play for a win..

Was only when Utd went behind that they actually played attack football!

For me there is blame with manager players and the owners on this shambles.. though even with a terrible team they managed to win trophies! Bizarrely
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 03, 2019, 07:42:55 PM

Mourinho wouldn't let them play. He hasn't the first clue what to do with creative young players. If you cannot accept or realise this then I'm sorry for you. Mourinho was not capable of doing the job so he was sacked. That's it. I know you like Mourinho for some bizarre reason or maybe you're upset to be proved wrong but it's a time to move on. Mourinho gave up trying and just waited for his pay off but the players never did. Their confidence was just shattered because they were being told to do things that were counterintuitive to them and being criticised regularly in public. Now they have coaches around them who believe in them and encourage them to be the best they can be. The players were the ones who were cheated the most.

Mourinhos gone Seanie I couldn't give a shiny shite about him anymore... You on the other hand still bring him up in pretty much every interaction with this thread, let it go man.

I've seen Keano, Neville, Carragher plus other former players and journos state that some of the players have gotten away with murder. I'm sure you frequent Utd forums take a look at the Pogbas and Sanchez threads in particular there's plenty who agree with me.

What was I proved wrong about?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on January 03, 2019, 09:02:29 PM

Mourinhos gone Seanie I couldn't give a shiny shite about him anymore... You on the other hand still bring him up in pretty much every interaction with this thread, let it go man.

I've seen Keano, Neville, Carragher plus other former players and journos state that some of the players have gotten away with murder. I'm sure you frequent Utd forums take a look at the Pogbas and Sanchez threads in particular there's plenty who agree with me.

You agreed with the appointment of Mourinho and were reluctant to see him sacked. I don't want to be talking about him either but it seemed to me it had to be explained to you why players were not performing. You feeling "cheated" and all.  ::) Pogba would have been eaten alive for making that run you referred to late in a game, up 2-0, by the previous manager. Do you not understand that? Direct your blame towards the appropriate quarters and get behind the shirts.

And another thing - my opinions are my own. Right or wrong I come up with them myself. If I need additional information I'll find it but I don't need to read what others say in order to make up mt mind.

trueblue1234

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 04, 2019, 09:32:44 AM

You agreed with the appointment of Mourinho and were reluctant to see him sacked. I don't want to be talking about him either but it seemed to me it had to be explained to you why players were not performing. You feeling "cheated" and all.  ::) Direct your blame towards the appropriate quarters and get behind the shirts.

To be fair MS, I think you're given some of the players a by ball here. I can completely see where Boycey is coming from. Regardless of the tactics used by the manager, you expect the players to bust themselves when they cross the white line. What happens if OGS asks Pogba to do something he doesn't want to do for the good of the team, or to play a different system to what he wants? Is it acceptable for him to drop his effort as he doesn't agree with him?
Now don't get me wrong, I think Mourinho was the biggest issue and some of these players will need the cotton wool treatment, but sometimes they also need a boot up the hole. And I think some of the United players over the past couple of months have deserved a boot up the hole.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

magpie seanie

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 04, 2019, 09:39:26 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 04, 2019, 09:32:44 AM

You agreed with the appointment of Mourinho and were reluctant to see him sacked. I don't want to be talking about him either but it seemed to me it had to be explained to you why players were not performing. You feeling "cheated" and all.  ::) Direct your blame towards the appropriate quarters and get behind the shirts.

To be fair MS, I think you're given some of the players a by ball here. I can completely see where Boycey is coming from. Regardless of the tactics used by the manager, you expect the players to bust themselves when they cross the white line. What happens if OGS asks Pogba to do something he doesn't want to do for the good of the team, or to play a different system to what he wants? Is it acceptable for him to drop his effort as he doesn't agree with him?
Now don't get me wrong, I think Mourinho was the biggest issue and some of these players will need the cotton wool treatment, but sometimes they also need a boot up the hole. And I think some of the United players over the past couple of months have deserved a boot up the hole.

Obviously there's a balance but one thing they weren't short of in recent times was boots up the hole....that was until the manager stopped doing his job of course. Getting constant kicks while not being allowed do your job properly and do yourself justice wears you down. I've been in a work situation like that before and it's not easy. Pogba's a guy who won the World Cup a few months ago (and was a key player, perfoming well) and everyone was going around saying how shit he was and a waste of money etc. He's clearly immature but bound to have some level of professional pride or he wouldn't be where he has been in the game. People in the club knew that.

Boycey

I'm only offering my opinion too Seanie, a deeply held one that I'll debate with anyone. I referenced others just to make the point that I'm not on a solo run, that a sizable group think the same. If my opinions aren't worthy of consideration put me on your ignore list...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on January 04, 2019, 12:53:51 PM
I'm only offering my opinion too Seanie, a deeply held one that I'll debate with anyone. I referenced others just to make the point that I'm not on a solo run, that a sizable group think the same. If my opinions aren't worthy of consideration put me on your ignore list...

I wouldn't bother arguing with you if I wanted to ignore you. I just find it difficult to accept that you never or rarely to my memory criticised Mourinho yet you've no problem having a pop at Pogba when he has turned things around. That's about it. Just find it funny.