Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

I'm settled. Not sure why you're keen to paint me as agitated but I'm sure you have your reasons.

I'm just patiently awaiting trileacman retracting his wrongful accusation and apologising. Or even presenting some evidence which supports his assertion.

screenexile

6th place it is then ... great result for ABU's everywhere  ;D ;D

Carmen Stateside

If Ajax happen to win against all odds, will United have any Euro football next year?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on May 16, 2017, 10:02:34 PM
If Ajax happen to win against all odds, will United have any Euro football next year?

Carmen...Here is where it all stands, as of now:

Chelsea have won the Premier League, meaning they will be one of the top eight seeds in the group stage of next season's Champions League.

Tottenham have confirmed their place as runners-up, meaning they will also go into the Champions League group stage.

Liverpool have guaranteed European football for themselves. They will go into the Champions League group stage if they finish third, qualify for the Champions League play-off if they finish fourth or feature in the Europa League group stage if they finish fifth.

Manchester City have guaranteed European football for themselves. They will go into the Champions League group stage if they finish third, qualify for the Champions League play-off if they finish fourth or feature in the Europa League group stage if they finish fifth.

Arsenal have guaranteed European football for themselves. They will go into the Champions League group stage if they finish third, qualify for the Champions League play-off if they finish fourth or feature in the Europa League group stage if they finish fifth or sixth - regardless of their FA Cup final result.

Manchester United will also be playing in Europe next season. They can turn their current Europa League group stage berth (which is courtesy of the FA Cup prize being passed on) into a Champions League group stage spot by winning the Europa League final against Ajax.

Everton are the seventh English team to secure European football. That's thanks to the Europa League third-qualifying round spot Manchester United earned by winning the EFL Cup being passed down to them.

Milltown Row2

Southampton are a great price at home tomorrow, 17/10 against a set of fringe players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

StGallsGAA

For sure. As a committed United fan I've been betting against them for years at the right time when the bookies could be taken for a ride. 

magpie seanie

More embarrassing drivel from Mourinho in his latest press conference. I got lambasted here for saying he was out of his depth and incapable of doing the job but time is proving me right. Never should have been let near the place. I hope United win the Europa of course but this guy needs to be sacked. He has no business at United.

Carmen Stateside

Looking forward to what "liverpool fan" Stallion has to say about that Magpie!

The Stallion

I don't have much to say about it. I don't have strong feelings regarding who Utd's manager is. I wouldn't want Mourinho managing Liverpool though and I can understand why some Utd fans aren't fans of his.

snoopdog

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 17, 2017, 01:12:08 AM
More embarrassing drivel from Mourinho in his latest press conference. I got lambasted here for saying he was out of his depth and incapable of doing the job but time is proving me right. Never should have been let near the place. I hope United win the Europa of course but this guy needs to be sacked. He has no business at United.
And bring in who?  Mourinho will deliver

magpie seanie

Quote from: snoopdog on May 17, 2017, 08:39:46 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 17, 2017, 01:12:08 AM
And bring in who?  Mourinho will deliver

I don't believe he will "deliver" and certainly if he does win a premier league or even more unlikely, a champions league, it will be via negativity, ignorance and classlessness.

Who to bring in? A young, energetic manager who will install belief and confidence in the players to perform to the levels we expect of Manchester United. Let them not be afraid to miss a chance or make a mistake. Let them know the manager has their back (as opposed to wondering are you this weeks target via the media). And someone who will act with a bit of class and not embarrass themselves themselves and the club when they open their mouth. The constant moaning about fixture congestion since early January is drivel. This is Manchester United for Gods sake. Even without the Champions League they're announcing astronomical record income.

I genuinely believe Mourinho was never a fit for United but I also suspect he is a completely busted flush. His best days are definitely behind him. Ferguson was unique in that he was a motivator and eventually accepted his tactical know how was gone (and got assistance with that).

snoopdog

But you don't name anyone. Mourinho is probably the most successful manager available. He has a proven track record if we are going to do what you suggest Giggs should've been given the job.

The Stallion

He played more adventurous football but Ferguson was more petty, ignorant and downright pathetic than Mourinho.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: snoopdog on May 17, 2017, 09:50:43 AM
But you don't name anyone. Mourinho is probably the most successful manager available. He has a proven track record if we are going to do what you suggest Giggs should've been given the job.

He suggested a young, energetic manager. Giggs is neither energetic nor a manager. He managed for a wet week when Moyes was sacked.
There are a number of candidates out there that fit that bill - Thomas Tuchel from Dortmund to name one.
Giggs, wtf  ;D

Keyser soze

And bring in who to replace him?

The Utd job, along with Madrid, brings a unique level of pressure that only a handful of men on the planet, and by that I mean less than 5, are suited to handle. In fact i can't even think of 5 candidates that I would like in the post. Indubitably Mourinho is one of those 5, even though he can be a bit gubby sometimes when the pressure is cranked to it's maximum i.e. Utd lose a match or have a bad season. I think he has done a reasonable job of getting the ship back on course. it is clear that he is unhappy that some of his players do not have the warrior spirit that is required e.g. Sicknote Jones and Smalling, or have a shit attitude e.g. Shaw and that needs to change. I think Mourinho has enough credits [from past achievements rather than his Utd record]to go about doing this but it is a massive task. Utd have no god-given right to be winning every other PL title or CL, they have had long lean spells in the past, as have England's other big club Liverpool, so it  is going to take something special to turn this around.

The only other option Utd have is to go down the route Madrid took and appoint a Zidane type figure, at Utd this person was obviously Giggs but he was passed over on three occasions so i guess they do not have faith in his ability for some reason.