PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: tiempo on November 01, 2018, 11:07:26 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 10:48:12 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 01, 2018, 10:40:49 AM
Miller would have earned around £7m after tax in his career, there's far more deserving cases of the money.

Would he? He was on a kids contract at Celtic, 2 years at Man U, 2 years at Sunderland,  then contracts at clubs like Hibs, Cork City and mid level Aussie places. 7m seems high to me.

But does it matter? Who are you to decide this is not deserving?

An Irish citizen who sees this as an unnecessary cash award to the individual family of a sporting celebrity when basic hospital provision across the country is on its knees.
Healthcare related charities are well up on this event.  So do a fundraiser for hospitals then. There will always be other worthy causes. Doesnt mean soccer are wrong to look after their own.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 11:17:56 AM
Miller would have earned around £7m after tax in his career, there's far more deserving cases of the money.

Would he? He was on a kids contract at Celtic, 2 years at Man U, 2 years at Sunderland,  then contracts at clubs like Hibs, Cork City and mid level Aussie places. 7m seems high to me.

An Irish citizen who sees this as an unnecessary cash award to the individual family of a sporting celebrity when basic hospital provision across the country is on its knees.
Healthcare related charities are well up on this event.  So do a fundraiser for hospitals then. There will always be other worthy causes. Doesnt mean soccer are wrong to look after their own.

No Soccer are not wrong to look after their own. However to launch a sustained attack on the GAA, using amongst other Damien Duff and Journalists sympathetic to Soccer, while all the time marketing this as a fundraiser for charities, when in fact the lion share of the money was going to a millionaires family, in my eyes is grossly offensive.
That's been the crux of my issue all along.
I have no issue with raising money for his family, where I do have a problem is the blacking of the GAA's good name in the process of doing so.

Baile Brigín 2

That infers the GAA are blameless. They knew from day 1 they had to open puc. They called it wrong, stunningly missed the public mood and got calledout from all quarthers, including from within the GAA.

Its groupthink. How dare soccer have the high moral ground.

five points

The GAA should have stuck by its guns. One of its core principles is never to permit the use of its facilities to enrich individuals. This was thrown out the window here, with great force.

tiempo

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 11:17:56 AM

The family got x4 times the amount of the biggest charity donation.
Who are you to say soccer are looking after their own, reeks of a shakedown and PR exercise for the great and good.

Baile Brigín 2

LOTS of assumptions about the families circumstances here chaps. And all cynical.

Rossfan

Did "soccer look after its own" though.
Money was provided by the people who bought tickets to the "event", facilities provided free by the GAA after the usual campaign of blackmail by soccer spongers and their cheerleaders in the media.
The 30 odd ex players who appeared that day could each have thrown their loose change c€25k each into the pot but much easier to bleed everyone else.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Bleed? Jesus wept. Imagune a journalist reading this bile

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2018, 12:28:18 PM
Did "soccer look after its own" though.
Money was provided by the people who bought tickets to the "event", facilities provided free by the GAA after the usual campaign of blackmail by soccer spongers and their cheerleaders in the media.
The 30 odd ex players who appeared that day could each have thrown their loose change c€25k each into the pot but much easier to bleed everyone else.

This is fantasy garbage but I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

A young man died of cancer and this is the angle you take.

mup

Quote from: five points on November 01, 2018, 11:40:12 AM
The GAA should have stuck by its guns. One of its core principles is never to permit the use of its facilities to enrich individuals. This was thrown out the window here, with great force.

Say what? What are you on about here?

five points

Quote from: mup on November 01, 2018, 01:04:09 PM

Speaks for itself, I would have thought?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: five points on November 01, 2018, 01:05:55 PM
Quote from: mup on November 01, 2018, 01:04:09 PM

Speaks for itself, I would have thought?

Is that principle documented anywhere or just wheeled out because the GAA agreed to share here?

five points

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 01:07:16 PM
Is that principle documented anywhere or just wheeled out because the GAA agreed to share here?

1.10 Amateur Status
The Association is an Amateur Association. A player, team,
official or member shall not accept payment in cash or
in kind in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic Games.
A player, team, official or member shall not contract
himself/itself to any agent other than those officially
approved by Central Council. Expenses paid to all officials,
players, and members shall not exceed the standard
rates laid down by the Central Council. Members of the
Association may not participate in full-time training. This
Rule shall not prohibit the payment of salaries or wages to
employees of the Association.
Penalty: Twenty four weeks Suspension or Expulsion

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: five points on November 01, 2018, 01:29:39 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 01:07:16 PM

1.10 Amateur Status
The Association is an Amateur Association. A player, team,
official or member shall not accept payment in cash or
in kind in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic Games.
A player, team, official or member shall not contract
himself/itself to any agent other than those officially
approved by Central Council. Expenses paid to all officials,
players, and members shall not exceed the standard
rates laid down by the Central Council. Members of the
Association may not participate in full-time training. This
Rule shall not prohibit the payment of salaries or wages to
employees of the Association.
Penalty: Twenty four weeks Suspension or Expulsion

Thats not what you said though. Explain paid administrators and managers?

Hound

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 01, 2018, 10:07:43 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 01, 2018, 09:13:06 AM
If the money was going to be used to pay his medical bills why is being held in a trust?

Usually to ensure the money goes where it should.

Eight other charity, fundraising and community initiatives will share another half a million euro, with the Marymount Hospice receiving €250,000, Mr O'Flynn confirmed.

A special fund set up for Cork youngster Jack O'Driscoll, who sustained life-changing injuries as a result of a freak accident during Storm Emma earlier this year, will benefit to the tune of €100,000. Jack played hurling and football with Mayfield and soccer with St. Mary's.

Other recipients from the Miller fund are the Mercy University Hospital (€35,000), the Oesophageal Cancer Fund (€35,000), with €20,000 each awarded to Enable Ireland, Cork Simon Community, Cork Penny Dinners and Down Syndrome Cork.
That's great to see. Each of those very deserving.
I am surprised a lot more wasn't handed out to other deserving charities and that so much went to the family, but not my concern as I didn't contribute.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention at the time, but I presume the promos for the event were clear the family were going to be the primary beneficiaries and therefore everyone who gave money did so with their eyes open.

The GAA didn't generate the revenues (nor lose any money) so I don't think we're into amateur status issues.