Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2016, 02:12:12 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2016, 12:06:56 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2016, 07:38:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2016, 07:15:33 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2016, 04:21:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2016, 04:19:35 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 01, 2016, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 03:03:19 PM
The advent of RTE in the North over 30 years ago opened our eyes to life in the South...
I don't get this.

Radio Éireann has been pretty much available throughout the north since the Athlone station started in 1933. Telefís Éireann was available in parts of the North from launch night in 1961 with coverage expanded the following year. The Clermont Carn TV station in Louth opening in 1981 brought new & improved coverage to many east of the Bann, but RTÉ telly was available in many parts of the north already.

Besides, culturally and socially the Republic is quite different from back in 1981 to what it is now.
It's typical Tony bullshit to fit in with his OWC one nation theory. I are up in the '60's listening to Gaybo and Larry Gogan. In the houses that had RTE we gathered to watch the AI finals. The rise in anti northern bias in the media in the South is fuelled by the rise of SF.

I think that's actually quite true. The 'establishment' are very nervous of Sinn Fein, and what they might bring to the table if they have a chance, so they seem to be very, very negative towards them, and by extension, northern Nationalism.

A party campaigning for a 32 county Ireland would obviously be very popular, but one that wants to tear everything up and introduce a new far-left society, is hardly going to be welcomed with open arms by any establishment unless it is already far-left.
Wait until Wall St blows up 2.0 muppet.
I was at a pensions conference last week. Blackrock is selling unpriceable illiquid credit yielding 4% in usd to Swiss pension funds.
Nothing could possibly go wrong

The developing US pensions crisis is a massive set of dominos that will eventually fall.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-government-7-trillion-pension-shortfall-2016-4

However this doesn't justify a giant leap to the left. DB pensions for state-workers is hardly a right-wing policy, is it?
It's about credibility. If pensions were to collapse under FG I think you would see seismic political changes.

It's about spoofing.

If you are far-left, pretend everything is the fault of the the far-right and insist that very soon everything will prove you right. If you are far-right pretend that everything is the fault of the far-left and very soon everything will prove you right.

If you are Donald Trump, blame everyone and insist that if you are elected, everything will be great.

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: LCohen on October 03, 2016, 08:36:38 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2016, 07:17:35 PM
A survey carried out last week showed that the vast majority of citizens down South would not vote for a UI if it meant tax rises

I didn't see the survey but surely this is not a surprise. It doesn't make them bad people
Surveys are easily manipulated.  An experiment in the UK asked punters 2 questions
1. Should the NHS be free at point of entry. Majority yes
2 Should junkies and criminals and othet deplorables have to pay for their treatment. Majority yes

If Irish people were asked "Would you support a UI if it was good for the economy" most would say yes.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2016, 09:20:40 PM
I still think it's time for a reality check.After a century of partition,the cultural gap between Nortn and South (even among "nationalists") is ever widening.So there is no cultural reason for unification.There is no economic reason for unification (bar wild assumptions and fantasies).It seems to me the height of folly to try to unify two by now essentially different peoples who don't understand each other and have less and less in common.

Similarly to assume the North is as British as Finchley is equally non sensical not to mention unworkable.

The only logical way forward is for the North to abandon outdated Irish Nationalism and Ulster Unionism and forge a new and unique Northern Irish identity.
It already exists in the flag waving, billy boy singing, marching Orange cultural bandwagon, that you appear to be on. If you think that Unionists are going to stand for any thing that dilutes their sense that NI is British then you are deluded. Arlene is already forging this NI OWC identity but it includes no sense of Irishness. Try selling this guff up at Tir Na Nog on the Garvaghy Road and Brendy McKenna will run you out of town.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2016, 07:12:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 01, 2016, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2016, 11:31:09 AM
I started reading In search of a state. Catholics in NI by Fionnuala O Connor. Published 1994. Loads of stuff in it about betrayal, RTE bias, being excluded. Also about NI education meaning people didn't know much about the South.

Have things changed since? There are more people from the North working in the South now for example.

Plenty southerns working in the North two, why anyone would want to work down south is beyond me

What does this mean?

Money wise, I've family that live in Cork and they are paying more tax now than they ever dd and had a freeze on their wages  for long periods and their retirement pans have been altered now and they are going to have to work a lot longer to get the pension they were promised before Ireland nearly went bankrupt .. So why would anyone want to leave the North and work in the South?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2016, 09:24:58 AM
I started reading In search of a state. Catholics in NI by Fionnuala O Connor. Published 1994. Loads of stuff in it about betrayal, RTE bias, being excluded. Also about NI education meaning people didn't know much about the South.

Have things changed since? There are more people from the North working in the South now for example.

Plenty southerns working in the North two, why anyone would want to work down south is beyond me

What does this mean?
So why would anyone want to leave the North and work in the South?
I'd say most graduates would be more than happy to; and plenty are. It's either that or be unemployed if they stay put

Applesisapples

What does this mean?

Money wise, I've family that live in Cork and they are paying more tax now than they ever dd and had a freeze on their wages  for long periods and their retirement pans have been altered now and they are going to have to work a lot longer to get the pension they were promised before Ireland nearly went bankrupt .. So why would anyone want to leave the North and work in the South?
I live in the north and it has been the same for me.

Applesisapples

Quote from: general_lee on October 04, 2016, 09:33:00 AM

exactly and salaries tend to reflect the economy, a colleague doing the exact same job as me in the ROI is earning €20k more than me so he can afford more tax.

What does this mean?
I'd say most graduates would be more than happy to; and plenty are. It's either that or be unemployed if they stay put

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on October 04, 2016, 09:33:00 AM

What does this mean?

you are talking about a particular group, like i said my realitives have said about the higher tax on everything and the pensions, you'd be a complete fool not to take a job if offered in these times but if given the opportunity to work in the South v the North then I'd say most would take the North or England for that matter, Brexit of not...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

The South has better productivity, public finances, trade situation, growth prospects and more  stable politics than the UK. Over time it should become more attractive.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2016, 10:47:09 AM
The South has better productivity, public finances, trade situation, growth prospects and more  stable politics than the UK. Over time it should become more attractive.

I can only tell you what someone from Cork told me very recently, who has worked in a public sector job for  forty years

Kidder81

Since the Tories have come into power in 2010 one of the first things they did was "reform" public service pensions. So anyone working in the public sector in the north will also be paying more into their pension & working longer for a reduced pension.

seafoid

T Fearon

No matter what the South has it still doesn't want the North.This reality must be swallowed.

N Irish identity is not in any way synonymous with a DUP or Unionist outlook.It is ironically the best way to discard these two obsolete viewpoints,which,like their obsolete Irish nationalist outlooks,survive and thrive on division.

So if you want to see a strong DUP just keep the status quo.

Rossfan

So when are you starting the " NorthernIreland National non Unionist non Nationalist neither Irish or British Party" ? ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

How would an independent Northern Ireland look Tony?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.