Northern catholics and the South

Started by seafoid, October 01, 2016, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2016, 04:19:35 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 01, 2016, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 03:03:19 PM
The advent of RTE in the North over 30 years ago opened our eyes to life in the South...
I don't get this.

Radio Éireann has been pretty much available throughout the north since the Athlone station started in 1933. Telefís Éireann was available in parts of the North from launch night in 1961 with coverage expanded the following year. The Clermont Carn TV station in Louth opening in 1981 brought new & improved coverage to many east of the Bann, but RTÉ telly was available in many parts of the north already.

Besides, culturally and socially the Republic is quite different from back in 1981 to what it is now.
It's typical Tony bullshit to fit in with his OWC one nation theory. I are up in the '60's listening to Gaybo and Larry Gogan. In the houses that had RTE we gathered to watch the AI finals. The rise in anti northern bias in the media in the South is fuelled by the rise of SF.
It is very strong in the Indo. I always laugh at the vitriol they have for Shinners compared to the respect for FF and the people who blew up the economy in 2008. Richie Boucher gets a free pass for example.

Applesisapples

TV and Radio in the North from partition was there to reinforce the Britishness of Ulster. It has changed significantly but still has a way to go.

imtommygunn

It still surprises me that BBC NI report the results of county finals in Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal. Pleasantly surprises me but surprises me none the less as I thought the unionist brigade would be up in arms.

T Fearon

FFS,apart from Seafoid,do you think the average person in the South gives two hoots about the North? And it seems to me any who do have arguably more sympathy with unionists, ask the Sindo,or
George Hook who has called for GSTQ to be played before Rugby Internationals at the Aviva,for Ireland home games.

A northern character appeared in Glenroe (written by a Northern Protestant) as a house burglar,and in Fair City there are occasional references to "Northerners" in deragotory tones.

What is it about the British right to rule the North is now constitutionally accepted by Nationalist Ireland North and South (dissident Republicans excepted),that you don't understand? Even before this Northern affairs were lumped under the Dublin Government's Foreign Affairs Dept. I remember reading about Charlie Haughey's ruse way back in the early 80s to play the Unitec Ireland card to win votes in a Southern General election only to be told by one of his floozys that "The people don't care about that,Sweetie!"

Get real,ffs

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 01, 2016, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2016, 11:31:09 AM
I started reading In search of a state. Catholics in NI by Fionnuala O Connor. Published 1994. Loads of stuff in it about betrayal, RTE bias, being excluded. Also about NI education meaning people didn't know much about the South.

Have things changed since? There are more people from the North working in the South now for example.

Plenty southerns working in the North two, why anyone would want to work down south is beyond me

What does this mean?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2016, 04:21:57 PM
The advent of RTE in the North over 30 years ago opened our eyes to life in the South...
I don't get this.

Radio Éireann has been pretty much available throughout the north since the Athlone station started in 1933. Telefís Éireann was available in parts of the North from launch night in 1961 with coverage expanded the following year. The Clermont Carn TV station in Louth opening in 1981 brought new & improved coverage to many east of the Bann, but RTÉ telly was available in many parts of the north already.

Besides, culturally and socially the Republic is quite different from back in 1981 to what it is now.
It's typical Tony bullshit to fit in with his OWC one nation theory. I are up in the '60's listening to Gaybo and Larry Gogan. In the houses that had RTE we gathered to watch the AI finals. The rise in anti northern bias in the media in the South is fuelled by the rise of SF.

I think that's actually quite true. The 'establishment' are very nervous of Sinn Fein, and what they might bring to the table if they have a chance, so they seem to be very, very negative towards them, and by extension, northern Nationalism.

A party campaigning for a 32 county Ireland would obviously be very popular, but one that wants to tear everything up and introduce a new far-left society, is hardly going to be welcomed with open arms by any establishment unless it is already far-left.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

A survey carried out last week showed that the vast majority of citizens down South would not vote for a UI if it meant tax rises

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2016, 07:15:33 PM
I don't get this.

I think that's actually quite true. The 'establishment' are very nervous of Sinn Fein, and what they might bring to the table if they have a chance, so they seem to be very, very negative towards them, and by extension, northern Nationalism.

A party campaigning for a 32 county Ireland would obviously be very popular, but one that wants to tear everything up and introduce a new far-left society, is hardly going to be welcomed with open arms by any establishment unless it is already far-left.
Wait until Wall St blows up 2.0 muppet.
I was at a pensions conference last week. Blackrock is selling unpriceable illiquid credit yielding 4% in usd to Swiss pension funds.
Nothing could possibly go wrong

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 02, 2016, 03:07:27 PM
I was asked to provide evidence of how vibrant Catholicism is in the North as opposed to the South,which I believe I've genuinely done.

The limitations of belief, genuine or otherwise, writ large

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2016, 07:17:35 PM
A survey carried out last week showed that the vast majority of citizens down South would not vote for a UI if it meant tax rises

I didn't see the survey but surely this is not a surprise. It doesn't make them bad people

LCohen

I don't get this.

Not sure I can agree with this.

What is the obvious popularity of a AI party? Do people really want this or do they want it after the read into the detail of what would be required to make it work?
I do agree that the RoI establishment does not want the whiff of anything far left.

To go beyond your point I think it is possible for their to be a financially literate hard left alternative. SF fall down on the first bit

T Fearon

I still think it's time for a reality check.After a century of partition,the cultural gap between Nortn and South (even among "nationalists") is ever widening.So there is no cultural reason for unification.There is no economic reason for unification (bar wild assumptions and fantasies).It seems to me the height of folly to try to unify two by now essentially different peoples who don't understand each other and have less and less in common.

Similarly to assume the North is as British as Finchley is equally non sensical not to mention unworkable.

The only logical way forward is for the North to abandon outdated Irish Nationalism and Ulster Unionism and forge a new and unique Northern Irish identity.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2016, 09:20:40 PM
I still think it's time for a reality check.After a century of partition,the cultural gap between Nortn and South (even among "nationalists") is ever widening.So there is no cultural reason for unification.There is no economic reason for unification (bar wild assumptions and fantasies).It seems to me the height of folly to try to unify two by now essentially different peoples who don't understand each other and have less and less in common.

Similarly to assume the North is as British as Finchley is equally non sensical not to mention unworkable.

The only logical way forward is for the North to abandon outdated Irish Nationalism and Ulster Unionism and forge a new and unique Northern Irish identity.

Tony, time for you and a whole load more to have a reality check. If someone doesn't fine themselves as a united irelander then are they a nationalist? Is it not just lazy to call them nationalist?

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2016, 07:38:57 PM
I don't get this.

I was at a pensions conference last week. Blackrock is selling unpriceable illiquid credit yielding 4% in usd to Swiss pension funds.

The developing US pensions crisis is a massive set of dominos that will eventually fall.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-government-7-trillion-pension-shortfall-2016-4

However this doesn't justify a giant leap to the left. DB pensions for state-workers is hardly a right-wing policy, is it?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2016, 12:06:56 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2016, 07:38:57 PM
I don't get this.

The developing US pensions crisis is a massive set of dominos that will eventually fall.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-government-7-trillion-pension-shortfall-2016-4

However this doesn't justify a giant leap to the left. DB pensions for state-workers is hardly a right-wing policy, is it?
It's about credibility. If pensions were to collapse under FG I think you would see seismic political changes.