Northern catholics and the South

Started by seafoid, October 01, 2016, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I started reading In search of a state. Catholics in NI by Fionnuala O Connor. Published 1994. Loads of stuff in it about betrayal, RTE bias, being excluded. Also about NI education meaning people didn't know much about the South.

Have things changed since? There are more people from the North working in the South now for example.

The Subbie

The methods of hiding the bias have got better but it's still there.

seafoid

Quote from: The Subbie on October 01, 2016, 12:04:36 PM
The methods of hiding the bias have got better but it's still there.
I think so too. RTE is a key part of the status quo.
One thing that is different is that there doesn't seem to be any affable unionist on telly these days like Ken Maginnis 20 years ago.
The Indo group also ensure nobody steps out of line.

The Subbie

There is no need for an affable unionist to step up to the plate on rte & reassure everyone that it's all themmuns, there is an entire cohort of Demi unionists falling over each other to do it for rte, most of them seem to hang round the canteen in donnybrook hoping for the tap on the shoulder to trot out a different varient of the same aul sh1te to align with the story de jour.

T Fearon

The advent of RTE in the North over 30 years ago opened our eyes to life in the South.Both parts of the island sadly move further apart in terms of culture and outlook.For example Catholicism is still very strong in the North but almost extinct in the south.We are practically different peoples now sadly

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AQMP on October 01, 2016, 02:54:27 PM
Ken Maginnis "affable". That's a new one!
He sure is! I've been in his company a few times and he  can (could?) crack jokes, risque ones at that, with the best of 'em.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 03:03:19 PM
The advent of RTE in the North over 30 years ago opened our eyes to life in the South.Both parts of the island sadly move further apart in terms of culture and outlook.For example Catholicism is still very strong in the North but almost extinct in the south.We are practically different peoples now sadly
Tony , Nordies are just as sloppy, as weak on attention to detail and as suspicious of authority as people down South ;)
It doesn't really matter how much BBC you Watch, culture goes far deeper than telly or flags

T Fearon

I would argue there is a greater similarity of culture between London and Dublin than South and North.Greed,right wing government,atheism,underclass

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2016, 11:31:09 AM
I started reading In search of a state. Catholics in NI by Fionnuala O Connor. Published 1994. Loads of stuff in it about betrayal, RTE bias, being excluded. Also about NI education meaning people didn't know much about the South.

Have things changed since? There are more people from the North working in the South now for example.

Plenty southerns working in the North two, why anyone would want to work down south is beyond me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 03:58:02 PM
I would argue there is a greater similarity of culture between London and Dublin than South and North.Greed,right wing government,atheism,underclass
London also has jellied eels

England is less sure of itself, hostile to the EU, more private, a bit more organised, "straight", will answer questions with "yes" or "no", doesn't think in minority terms, militaristic, less friendly.

Which of these would be shared with Northern catholics ?

T Fearon

The irony now is that generally speaking Nothern Protestants and Catholics respectively have very little in common, culturally with either the UK or the South,yet paradoxically they still owe unflinching allegiance to London or Dublin.

Hence my contention that the best way forward now is to develop a new common Northern Irish identity shedding the toxic and obsolete unionist and nationalist dimensions.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 04:45:39 PM
The irony now is that generally speaking Nothern Protestants and Catholics respectively have very little in common, culturally with either the UK or the South,yet paradoxically they still owe unflinching allegiance to London or Dublin.

Hence my contention that the best way forward now is to develop a new common Northern Irish identity shedding the toxic and obsolete unionist and nationalist dimensions.
Outline how the school history books would look

T Fearon

I recommend you read Patrick Murphy today in Irish News.He explains how Ireland twice ceded sovereignty,to EEC in 1973 and to the British in 1998,and places the blame on the Brexit implications firmly on the shoulder of so called Nationalist parties North and South,who agreed that Britain has a right to rule the North.Hard to argue with that.

Windmill abu

Quote from: AQMP on October 01, 2016, 06:01:38 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 01, 2016, 03:15:15 PM
He sure is! I've been in his company a few times and he  can (could?) crack jokes, risque ones at that, with the best of 'em.

Nasty f**ker in my experience which is personal too

Totally agree. Lets not forget he was a Major in the UDR, who rank below Auschwitz Guards as Military murderers.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Orior

Quote from: Windmill abu on October 01, 2016, 08:49:22 PM
Quote from: AQMP on October 01, 2016, 06:01:38 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 01, 2016, 03:15:15 PM

Nasty f**ker in my experience which is personal too

Totally agree. Lets not forget he was a Major in the UDR, who rank below Auschwitz Guards as Military murderers.

And he has a penchant for pulling down the Irish Tricolour
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians