Northern catholics and the South

Started by seafoid, October 01, 2016, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2016, 06:12:32 PM
No matter what the South has it still doesn't want the North.This reality must be swallowed.

N Irish identity is not in any way synonymous with a DUP or Unionist outlook.It is ironically the best way to discard these two obsolete viewpoints,which,like their obsolete Irish nationalist outlooks,survive and thrive on division.

So if you want to see a strong DUP just keep the status quo.
How can the UI view be obsolete? Ireland has been partitioned for less than 2% of its recorded human history.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Avondhu star

Brexit has opened the door for major political changes. However no party has provided a realistic plan for a united Ireland that would maintain economic well being across the island
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

T Fearon

I am not advocating an independent N Ireland.Apart from economic inviability an independent NI tomorrow would still be tribal and polarised.

I am advocating the end of the sham tussle between unionism and nationalism,which is unwinnable by either side,in favour of a common N Irish identity.This would still constitutionally be part of the U.K. (the same as present ,which has been endorsed by Dublin,SF and SDLP) but could also in time be part of a United Ireland,where the focus would still be on the primacy of a N Irish identity

seafoid

What would a northern Ireland identity look like?

Outstretched red hand
Holding a net
to catch yourself on
A pocket for grievances
Fermanagh is the west
Donegal becomes land of the setting sun
One newspaper which is half marching news half GAA

T Fearon

All those will be part of a new Irish identity too,in the highly unlikely event of a United Ireland

dec

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2016, 08:38:35 PM
tussle between unionism and nationalism,which is unwinnable

This would still constitutionally be part of the U.K.

So a win for unionism then?

T Fearon

No,it is just a reality.We are not capable of sustaining ourselves currently and the Dublin Government neither wants nor can afford us.No other option I'm afraid

T Fearon

Bit ironic that Newry was steadfastly opposed to Brexit but is now facing a boom due to shoppers from the South availing of favourable exchange rates,with Damolly retail park selling for millions and The Quays enlarging and about to open new stores.

The owner of the Quays, from the nationalist community,was interviewed on the news last night talking about "N Ireland and the rest of the U.K.!"

armaghniac

Exchange rates are a temporary benefit for Newry,  a case of making good speed towards the ice berg.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

What will they call their State when Scotland pulls out?

T Fearon

Scotland won't pull out.SNP fast losing credibility.Just like Sinn Fein powerful as a protest party,not so good in Government

Rossfan

How long have the SNP been running Scotland now?
The 62% who voted to stay in the EU might decide they want to pull out if the "United Kingdom" - shouldn't it be called the " United Kingdoms" (of Scotland and England plus a biteen of the former kingdom of Ireland)?

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2016, 10:47:09 AM
The South has better productivity, public finances, trade situation, growth prospects and more  stable politics than the UK. Over time it should become more attractive.

I can only tell you what someone from Cork told me very recently, who has worked in a public sector job for  forty years

Has it occurred to you that the Cork person didn't want you to stay?  ;D

I have lived in the North, England and obviously Ireland. There is no contest as to where I want to live.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2016, 06:38:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2016, 10:47:09 AM
The South has better productivity, public finances, trade situation, growth prospects and more  stable politics than the UK. Over time it should become more attractive.

I can only tell you what someone from Cork told me very recently, who has worked in a public sector job for  forty years

Has it occurred to you that the Cork person didn't want you to stay?  ;D

I have lived in the North, England and obviously Ireland. There is no contest as to where I want to live.

And that's great, you lived in those other countries for work reasons? Is immigrating due to no work slowed down now?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea