Manager "Expenses"

Started by ck, December 16, 2014, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Blue in hope on December 18, 2014, 03:13:27 PM
Its easy for players to demand this man and that man. In my club we had this bull for years. The same players wont put their hand in their pocket or wont do any fundraising. Its always left to someone else. They have had won a few championships but when they lose its the managers fault and they want him gone to be replaced by someone more high profile every year.
that would be a great club if it wasn't for them pesky players eh? :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

Quote from: pauly2 on December 17, 2014, 02:14:43 PM
then you tell the players who are objecting to f**k off, u'll find it's only one r two really. The tail is wagging the dog at your club. the committee should appoint a manager they feel is capable and that should be the end of it...

As or payments the manager should receive his fuel for his travel and that's it...

So basically what you are saying is - the manager who deals with:

.     setting up training for each night it takes place, making it interesting, enjoyable, functional and
      most of all geared towards the team play or system being adopted for the season
.     developing individual training plans for players in the gym
.     organising challenge games for the club before the season takes off
      dealing with internal issues within the team - egos, non availability for games because of       
      bulls**t reasons, players who train when it suits them, players who play against the weaker   
      teams only as they will shine and phonecalls about why i should be playing for the team and i
      have put in a mighty effort this season and i am not getting a chance etc etc
.     Organise a team weekend before the league/championship that is going to be effective for the
      competition ahead
.     No county players as they are starred and not available so you need to rejig the team for the
      games ahead and include younger players/older players with experience to fill the void left by   
      your best players.
.     travelling maybe up to 45 mins to get to the pitch, be there 30+ mins before the players to set
      up the session and have it ready,  train for 75 mins and travel home again   
      (almost a 3 1/2  hour window)
.     Dealing with a committee that have hired you to win the league and championship double -
      even though last year the team finished 6th and 10 points behind the winners of the
      competition.

This list is not exhaustive........

And this person should receive fuel for their travel - thats it.  Take your dinosaur suit off and come into the real world you idiot...
[/quote]

I know i may have been a bit OTT but i detest guys who roam from club to club getting their £300 per week and they don't give one flying f**k about the club they're at. They stay one or two seasons and then move on to the next club. If the manager wants to appoint a trainer he should def not be out of pocket but 95% of clubs cannot afford to pay their fee's to the county boards never mind managers, trainers and whoever else is looking their cake. 99% of managers are ex players and they know the score regarding training and gym work. All the phone calls and excuses are part and parcel of being a manager...who else would organise friendlies? players?

I know I'm a bit old school but majority of clubs have good men at their own clubs who can do a job without fleecing them and have trainers to assist them but i believe they should receive expenses to cover calls and fuel but that's as far as I'd be prepared to go.

Less of the insults...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ck

Tonight we met an outside man who the players wanted. To be honest lads, haven spoken to him he'd be miles ahead of anything we'd have in our club. I hate the thought of paying an outsider but tonight opened my eyes in terms of what an outsider could do. His ideas were superb and his passion was very obvious. I'm sold.
We get what we pay for I suppose.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: illdecide on December 18, 2014, 05:52:39 PM
then you tell the players who are objecting to f**k off, u'll find it's only one r two really. The tail is wagging the dog at your club. the committee should appoint a manager they feel is capable and that should be the end of it...

As or payments the manager should receive his fuel for his travel and that's it...

So basically what you are saying is - the manager who deals with:

.     setting up training for each night it takes place, making it interesting, enjoyable, functional and
      most of all geared towards the team play or system being adopted for the season
.     developing individual training plans for players in the gym
.     organising challenge games for the club before the season takes off
      dealing with internal issues within the team - egos, non availability for games because of       
      bulls**t reasons, players who train when it suits them, players who play against the weaker   
      teams only as they will shine and phonecalls about why i should be playing for the team and i
      have put in a mighty effort this season and i am not getting a chance etc etc
.     Organise a team weekend before the league/championship that is going to be effective for the
      competition ahead
.     No county players as they are starred and not available so you need to rejig the team for the
      games ahead and include younger players/older players with experience to fill the void left by   
      your best players.
.     travelling maybe up to 45 mins to get to the pitch, be there 30+ mins before the players to set
      up the session and have it ready,  train for 75 mins and travel home again   
      (almost a 3 1/2  hour window)
.     Dealing with a committee that have hired you to win the league and championship double -
      even though last year the team finished 6th and 10 points behind the winners of the
      competition.

This list is not exhaustive........

And this person should receive fuel for their travel - thats it.  Take your dinosaur suit off and come into the real world you idiot...

I know i may have been a bit OTT but i detest guys who roam from club to club getting their £300 per week and they don't give one flying f**k about the club they're at. They stay one or two seasons and then move on to the next club. If the manager wants to appoint a trainer he should def not be out of pocket but 95% of clubs cannot afford to pay their fee's to the county boards never mind managers, trainers and whoever else is looking their cake. 99% of managers are ex players and they know the score regarding training and gym work. All the phone calls and excuses are part and parcel of being a manager...who else would organise friendlies? players?

I know I'm a bit old school but majority of clubs have good men at their own clubs who can do a job without fleecing them and have trainers to assist them but i believe they should receive expenses to cover calls and fuel but that's as far as I'd be prepared to go.

Less of the insults...

Not trying to insult you or anyone else, but this "shur Mikey/Tommy/Johnny from our own parish is as good as anyone" - attitude is complete nonsense...98% of people involved in GAA (roughly) would have no clue about proper S&C, putting a proper periodisation plan in place etc..that's my view from what I've encountered anyway. IF you are lucky enough to have someone with real knowledge involved in your club, the problem then is often getting people (players/officials) to buy into a proper training programme as some GAA heads think that if you're not horsing tyres around a field or running up hills, then you're not working hard enough.

Overall, my view is that if you have a proper trainer/coach who ISN'T a complete bluffer and who really commits to a team (not just doing the training and then f*cking off) then he/she deserves to get paid. Some managers/coaches/bluffers charge extortionate money which I don't like either, but it's living in the past to expect a decent trainer to give up 10 hours + per week (along with administrative stuff, meetings etc) for 50 cent/mile. I see the incoming President railed against paying anyone there the other day..When are we going to get an Uachtaráin who doesn't have his head in the sand I wonder?  ::)
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

muppet

Quote from: Blue in hope on December 18, 2014, 03:13:27 PM
Its easy for players to demand this man and that man. In my club we had this bull for years. The same players wont put their hand in their pocket or wont do any fundraising. Its always left to someone else. They have had won a few championships but when they lose its the managers fault and they want him gone to be replaced by someone more high profile every year.

If the S&C + Coach + all the ancillary stuff + the manager is worth that much it will obviously be reflected in the success of the club.

If that is genuinely happening then only the clubs that can afford such people will be successful. Our championships will then logically come down to the fundraising ability of each club.

And that means success at that level comes purely down to money.

Is that what we want?

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: ck on December 18, 2014, 09:38:53 PM
Tonight we met an outside man who the players wanted. To be honest lads, haven spoken to him he'd be miles ahead of anything we'd have in our club. I hate the thought of paying an outsider but tonight opened my eyes in terms of what an outsider could do. His ideas were superb and his passion was very obvious. I'm sold.

Ye'll know in a few months.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

twohands!!!

The GAA should be doing far more in terms of helping/putting pressure on clubs to develop coaches/managers internally.

There has been some efforts at this but I think they are fairly limited and can vary from county to county.

If the GAA offered decent courses for managers/trainers to complete for free or at subsidised prices to improve the standards it would make clubs far less likely to go for outsiders.

pauly2

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 19, 2014, 07:49:59 AM
The GAA should be doing far more in terms of helping/putting pressure on clubs to develop coaches/managers internally.

There has been some efforts at this but I think they are fairly limited and can vary from county to county.

If the GAA offered decent courses for managers/trainers to complete for free or at subsidised prices to improve the standards it would make clubs far less likely to go for outsiders.

There are many many courses out there for people to attend.  Thy have to want to attend them though.  The only point i would bring up here is that an ordinary decent fella about the club who aint that hot on the pitch goes and does this course and takes the reins in a few years - he has never played senior football, seconds or anything above minor.  Will the county stars of the club or the lads who have the last word on everything listen to this man - no.  From previous experience about our club in the town - if the manager has no background - he is wasting his time. 
Then on the other side of that is if you have someone who played county football and was successful, played club and carried the club for years and gets to 35 ish and retires and you suggest him going on this course to become manager - he will look at you and say with all the experience i have you are sending me on a course - i dont think so.

Double edged sword....

DennistheMenace

Quote from: ck on December 18, 2014, 09:38:53 PM

So how much are you getting a session?

blewuporstuffed

Is there a case for the manager having to be a memebr of the club he is managing the same as a player would be?
do away with 'outside' managers completly unless they are willing to transfer from their own club.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Canalman

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 19, 2014, 07:49:59 AM

All very well but all the courses in the world cannot manufacture the extra hours in the day , understanding boss (whose business is recession proof), understanding wife/family  etc etc needed to look after a first team in a club whose expectations of a manager have gone through the roof.

Heaven help if there isn't two physios at each training, a personalized training plan, ice buckets (or whatever is the current fad), the training "isn't interesting", the training is delayed a bit to allow an underage team finish its training, an army training camp arranged pre season, training run like clockwork ............ the list is endless. Throw in maybe having to drop a player you have played with yourself in the past and the grief and hassle that ensues.

Then the manager is a "chump".

As I said if you can get a clubman or men that are able to do that then you are extremely lucky.
Alot of clubs not so lucky and probably have to get someone in.

Think alot of the spoofers have been well and truly caught out by now.

ck

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 19, 2014, 09:16:41 AM
Is there a case for the manager having to be a memebr of the club he is managing the same as a player would be?
do away with 'outside' managers completly unless they are willing to transfer from their own club.

100% agree. I proposed this in my own club. I think a manager should be the same as a player in that you have to transfer club/county to manage them.

As for the comment above about lads going on training courses, we have a club full of lads who have been on courses but the bottom line is that they are not the right men in the players eyes. They don't carry the respect unfortunately.

twohands!!!

Quote from: ck on December 19, 2014, 10:36:46 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 19, 2014, 09:16:41 AM

100% agree. I proposed this in my own club. I think a manager should be the same as a player in that you have to transfer club/county to manage them.

As for the comment above about lads going on training courses, we have a club full of lads who have been on courses but the bottom line is that they are not the right men in the players eyes. They don't carry the respect unfortunately.

Well if the players are demanding managers who are paid, tell them they can either pay for it themselves or organise their own fundraising/sponsorship to pay for the cost of it.

Tell them that the priority for the club will be the juvenile section and that will be the first priority for any additional funds.
Too many clubs have the senior team as the be all and end all of everything the club does and they gobble up an unfair amount of the available finances in the club. Tell them the club has decided on a longer-term approach and is reducing the cost of juvenile members and offering subsidised training gear for them. Tell them that the club is going to get a far better return on what cash it does have to spend by focusing on the juvenile side of things and providing decent coaching to youngsters, as opposed to spending it on the senior team.

Really does sound like a few lads with notions - out of interest how much have the lads "demanding" this contributed to the club off the field?

ck

They are pretty decent club men to be fair. They do their bit and their lives evolve around the club.