Manager "Expenses"

Started by ck, December 16, 2014, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: pauly2 on December 17, 2014, 02:14:43 PM
then you tell the players who are objecting to f**k off, u'll find it's only one r two really. The tail is wagging the dog at your club. the committee should appoint a manager they feel is capable and that should be the end of it...

As or payments the manager should receive his fuel for his travel and that's it...

So basically what you are saying is - the manager who deals with:

.     setting up training for each night it takes place, making it interesting, enjoyable, functional and
      most of all geared towards the team play or system being adopted for the season
.     developing individual training plans for players in the gym
.     organising challenge games for the club before the season takes off
      dealing with internal issues within the team - egos, non availability for games because of       
      bulls**t reasons, players who train when it suits them, players who play against the weaker   
      teams only as they will shine and phonecalls about why i should be playing for the team and i
      have put in a mighty effort this season and i am not getting a chance etc etc
.     Organise a team weekend before the league/championship that is going to be effective for the
      competition ahead
.     No county players as they are starred and not available so you need to rejig the team for the
      games ahead and include younger players/older players with experience to fill the void left by   
      your best players.
.     travelling maybe up to 45 mins to get to the pitch, be there 30+ mins before the players to set
      up the session and have it ready,  train for 75 mins and travel home again   
      (almost a 3 1/2  hour window)
.     Dealing with a committee that have hired you to win the league and championship double -
      even though last year the team finished 6th and 10 points behind the winners of the
      competition.

This list is not exhaustive........

And this person should receive fuel for their travel - thats it.  Take your dinosaur suit off and come into the real world you idiot...
[/quote]

Not including the x amount of hours a week looking at videos of games,  analyzing the stats from the previous games, discussing with selectors the different issues that arise, working the squad around holidays, weddings, stags, unavailability due to soccer/rugby/twiddly winks.  The reality is that as a manager at any decent level you are expected to deliver results.  Players come to training/games/gyms and then go home.  They don't have any other 'required' work.  A manager of a senior team will easily put 15 -20 hours a week in if they are doing the job as is expected of them. 

pauly2

Not including the x amount of hours a week looking at videos of games,  analyzing the stats from the previous games, discussing with selectors the different issues that arise, working the squad around holidays, weddings, stags, unavailability due to soccer/rugby/twiddly winks.  The reality is that as a manager at any decent level you are expected to deliver results.  Players come to training/games/gyms and then go home.  They don't have any other 'required' work.  A manager of a senior team will easily put 15 -20 hours a week in if they are doing the job as is expected of them.
[/quote]

Couldnt agree more.  Like i said - my list was not exhaustive - im sure i left loads off it... You make very good points above i forgot about.  But some of these small minded people dont see what goes on - they just live in the dark ages of thinking when ya turn up to training - everything is automatically set up and the session runs itself.  and the phone never rings!! Mental..

DennistheMenace

Managers are putting in more hours maybe so but a lot of them are getting paid per session. Players are being asked for more and more by managers motivated by money. A lot of managers getting paid are worth that, a lot of clubs are getting milked dry by below par managers receiving £100-200 a week.

Stall the Bailer

It is getting harder to raise funds for the day to day running of clubs. Paying an outside man is a luxury some clubs can't meet.

ck

Quote from: illdecide on December 17, 2014, 01:20:45 PM
Quote from: ck on December 17, 2014, 01:10:08 PM
Yee have hit the nail on the head lads. We have some interest from a few lads to manage the team for nothing but this is deemed as totally unacceptable by the players. The team captain came to our last meeting and said he and a few others would not be playing unless we got and paid for an outside man. he also had a wish list of who they wanted. The reality is if we stuck to our guns and went for a club man then we'd have no team. This is the way it has gone!

then you tell the players who are objecting to f**k off, u'll find it's only one r two really. The tail is wagging the dog at your club. the committee should appoint a manager they feel is capable and that should be the end of it...

As or payments the manager should receive his fuel for his travel and that's it...

Wish the world was as simple as you make it out to be. The reality is that those who are interested are generally not deemed qualified or fit for purpose. No-one outside is interested unless we pay. That's the stark reality, much as I dislike it.

5 Sams

Quote from: DennistheMenace on December 17, 2014, 03:06:51 PM
Managers are putting in more hours maybe so but a lot of them are getting paid per session. Players are being asked for more and more by managers motivated by money. A lot of managers getting paid are worth that, a lot of clubs are getting milked dry by below par managers receiving £100-200 a week.

Puts into perspective the amount of hours chairmen, secretaries and treasurers, etc do.....for SFA!
The Aristocrat Years

Pangurban

We live in crazy times. We are an amateur association based on the spirit of volunteerism. Any commitment asked of club members be they players or officials should acknowledge and be guided by that fact. A manager who seeks payment is a mercenary who should be shown the Door. Attempts to justify payments by extending their job description far beyond that which is necessary, is merely a ploy. Has the modern day addiction to advanced training methods produced better footballers, i see no evidence of that.
The beating Heart of any Club is its local volunteers, with their pride of place and sense of community. A Clubs success can not be measured in Trophies, indeed some of the most active and effective clubs are rarely winners on the field of play. Too recognise the contribution of one individual through monetary payment, demeans and denigrates the equally valid and important contribution of the volunteer who may put in as many hours on Club business. Lets get back to cutting our Suit according to our cloth, before we destroy ourselves

DuffleKing

Quote from: Pangurban on December 17, 2014, 09:28:56 PM
We live in crazy times. We are an amateur association based on the spirit of volunteerism. Any commitment asked of club members be they players or officials should acknowledge and be guided by that fact. A manager who seeks payment is a mercenary who should be shown the Door. Attempts to justify payments by extending their job description far beyond that which is necessary, is merely a ploy. Has the modern day addiction to advanced training methods produced better footballers, i see no evidence of that.
The beating Heart of any Club is its local volunteers, with their pride of place and sense of community. A Clubs success can not be measured in Trophies, indeed some of the most active and effective clubs are rarely winners on the field of play. Too recognise the contribution of one individual through monetary payment, demeans and denigrates the equally valid and important contribution of the volunteer who may put in as many hours on Club business. Lets get back to cutting our Suit according to our cloth, before we destroy ourselves

The answer to that question is yes, exponentially so. Leaving aside the phenomenal athletic development as the generations pass, the execution of the skills of the game have improved no end. A glance through old games demonstrates that very simply. It's not a sleight on previous generations - they and they're games were a product of their environment.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 17, 2014, 09:58:08 PM

The answer to that question is yes, exponentially so. Leaving aside the phenomenal athletic development as the generations pass, the execution of the skills of the game have improved no end. A glance through old games demonstrates that very simply. It's not a sleight on previous generations - they and they're games were a product of their environment.

Thats debatable many would say too much is put into athletic development nowadays and the skill level is becoming less.  Very few top championship games this year for example 1991 had many classic games however todays game isn't helped by the over the top on tactics.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 17, 2014, 10:09:28 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on December 17, 2014, 09:58:08 PM

Thats debatable many would say too much is put into athletic development nowadays and the skill level is becoming less.  Very few top championship games this year for example 1991 had many classic games however todays game isn't helped by the over the top on tactics.

Just because there is a lot of OTT tactics doesn't mean that the individual players are not better footballers.  Much of our memories of old football is based around Sunday game highlights and AI semis and finals when the best teams in the country are on the TV.  There were as many rank bad games back in the day then there were good and the basic levels of a lot of players was suspect to say the least.

yellowcard

Simple solution I'd imagine is to tell the players they can have their outside man if they organise a fundraiser to help pay his expenses.

ck

Quote from: yellowcard on December 17, 2014, 10:56:33 PM
Simple solution I'd imagine is to tell the players they can have their outside man if they organise a fundraiser to help pay his expenses.

Yes this is exactly what we've asked of them and in fairness they have agreed. My initial question remains however - what do good coaches get/ask for? Do clubs receive demands and then negotiate? What is the norm?

orangeman

In some clubs the players pay a small sum per month by direct debit towards spying for an external manager which goes well until the subs decide they should belaying and cancel the direct debit.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on December 18, 2014, 12:24:31 AM

In some clubs the players pay a small sum per month by direct debit towards spying for an external manager which goes well until the subs decide they should belaying and cancel the direct debit.

Bloody subs always wanting to belaying!
MWWSI 2017

Blue in hope

Its easy for players to demand this man and that man. In my club we had this bull for years. The same players wont put their hand in their pocket or wont do any fundraising. Its always left to someone else. They have had won a few championships but when they lose its the managers fault and they want him gone to be replaced by someone more high profile every year.