Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: T O Hare on September 10, 2015, 05:16:58 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on September 10, 2015, 11:04:55 AM
Week in week out Burren are cleaning up at all the U8, U10 and U12 tournaments across the county. Their B and even C teams are claiming silverware at South Down level. They are becoming a dominant force at underage and the culture is there at senior level to usher in a new period of dominance.

Not under 8 ;)

Maybe the Bridge are winning the odd Under 8 title then :)

The Raven

Week in week out Burren are cleaning up at all the U8, U10 and U12 tournaments across the county. Their B and even C teams are claiming silverware at South Down level. They are becoming a dominant force at underage and the culture is there at senior level to usher in a new period of dominance.

This has to be the most pathetic quote I have read in years. Wise up

whitegoodman

Quote from: SamFever on September 10, 2015, 11:51:09 AM
Never mind their U16 and Minor teams who could repeat their
AllCounty Double from last year. Heard also that they are drawing on children
from the catchment area of 11 other Clubs.

Only the 11, I heard 20!!!!

wobbller

Quote from: whitegoodman on September 10, 2015, 08:07:14 PM

I heard it was 13 plus their own. Ridiculous

umpire

Quote from: wobbller on September 10, 2015, 09:48:21 PM

In tonight U16 Football Championship Quarter Final, Bredagh have beaten Burren 1.14 by 1.7 according to Down Website

upthehoops

Quote from: wobbller on September 10, 2015, 10:05:19 PM
Quote from: umpire on September 10, 2015, 10:03:20 PM
Quote from: wobbller on September 10, 2015, 09:48:21 PM

In tonight U16 Football Championship Quarter Final, Bredagh have beaten Burren 1.14 by 1.7 according to Down Website
Big shock if true
Not really. Did Bredagh not do well in All Ireland Feile a couple of years ago

Mourne Rover

Bredagh's twitter account has confirmed the result, which should not be that much of a surprise as the club has been strong at under-age level for several years. Getting some recognition from county selectors is a different matter. Bredagh won the all county A u16 title in 2012. but had no representatives on the Down minor teams of 2014 and 2015.  Insisting that all training sessions take place in Newry will hardly encourage young players from the other end of the county to believe that they are valued. The poor record of Down minor and u21 sides over the last five years would suggest that a new approach is overdue, so Paddy O'Rourke's has much to consider in his role as coordinator of our development squads.

NP 76

I had heard before that off that Breadagh u 16 team that won the championship only 4 of them were starters on their minor team. Maybe that's a big reason that none of them were county minors.

Dubh driocht

I think there's a cause and effect issue here; if the Bredagh lads saw their club-mates getting into county minor squads then they're more likely to keep at the football. It isn't automatic that there's a fall-off but it is harder for the clubs in areas where there's more choice of sports- primarily the urban areas- where fall-off between under 16 and minor occurs. Mind you the Bredagh team that takes the field tonight will have 7 or 8 members of the minor team that got to the county semi-final in 2008.
There isn't that much of a shock about the under 16 result as Bredagh beat Burren earlier this year in the league

thewobbler

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 11, 2015, 06:03:18 PM
I think there's a cause and effect issue here; if the Bredagh lads saw their club-mates getting into county minor squads then they're more likely to keep at the football. It isn't automatic that there's a fall-off but it is harder for the clubs in areas where there's more choice of sports- primarily the urban areas- where fall-off between under 16 and minor occurs. Mind you the Bredagh team that takes the field tonight will have 7 or 8 members of the minor team that got to the county semi-final in 2008.
There isn't that much of a shock about the under 16 result as Bredagh beat Burren earlier this year in the league

Not sure where you're going with this Down minor and Bredagh thing. Carryduff have had a series of Down minors for the past few years, and you can't honestly believe that it's easier for them to travel or more biased towards picking them.

While I truly wish there was a centre of excellence in Castlewellan or nearby, for now there isn't. Any you know what, Bredagh to Newry is actually a straightforward run. If I was to set a series of cars off from St Colmans College at 10pm: one heading to Cherryvale, one to Ballymartin, one to Downpatrick, one to St Michaels, one to Ardglass, I'd make Cherryvale slight favourite.

Oglach

Was at a family function in Cavan a fortnight ago and decided to take in the Championship game between Cavan Gaels V Lacken. The Gaels won 1-12 to 9 points in a dull enough affair...not really a surprise but what was a surprise was to see the Burren management there in attendance...Anyone??

EIREANNACH

prob checking out the opposition for the Ulster Club  :P
Down Gaa 2015 Championship Predictions League 3rd place 2015

umpire

Quote from: Oglach on September 11, 2015, 10:52:29 PM
Was at a family function in Cavan a fortnight ago and decided to take in the Championship game between Cavan Gaels V Lacken. The Gaels won 1-12 to 9 points in a dull enough affair...not really a surprise but what was a surprise was to see the Burren management there in attendance...Anyone??

Ulster Club Senior Football  Championship First Round
1st Nov at 3.30pm in Breffni Park, Cavan.
Winner of Cavan play the winner of Down

supersub

Must be taking notes for Kilcoo..

Mourne Rover

Wobbler, Bredagh underage players have regularly been asked to get to Carryduff at 9am for a lift to an 11am county Saturday session in Newry. After training and a team meeting, they are looking at getting home about eight hours after they left. They are competing for a place in the squad with player from colleges in Newry who are frequently not required to attend the same sessions. Carryduff is a fine club which has produced many Down minors over recent seasons but there are a number of other east Down clubs which feel that they are not treated fairly. Bredagh is only one of them but it is 20 years since the club with the biggest underage membership in our county by a huge margin has provided a starter for Down minors in the championship. Bredagh comfortably beat Burren in the u16 championship the other night, and regularly compete with our best underage sides at all levels. Are you seriously suggesting that rotating minor training venues across the county is against the best interests of Down football ?