Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaamann

Don't think wee Pete worked with the development squads before his appointment

Nailer

There were only a few players from East Down in the starting fifteen against Tyrone last year and in Derry in the championship this year,there is certainly no doubt that South Down has the strongest minor teams in the county but we are certainly going to struggle to win anything at this level if almost half the county are not providing talented players to the county minor team.
Are the clubs not doing enough to coach their underage players, do the players have little interest in committing to county football or are there other reasons?

Nailer

Good point alright,surely the five year plan that was done a few years ago and the ' Consultation Process" that was carried out would have included something like this, it just seems that these documents were completed and put on a shelf someplace, I wonder are they ever referred to,reviewed and amended to ensure ensure everyone is working towards the same goals.
Does the county coaching officer not have an input in to where the various development squads train or is the financial position in the county limiting the options to centralise the training bases in the county?

redandblackareback

I see Poucher the guru has all the answers for us today in the Gaelic life, pity he wouldn't take some of his great knowledge and try and apply it to his ballyholland  team considering all the negative shite they deliver up there every week

T O Hare

Im telling you folks, its all Poachers fault again !!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DownFanatic

Quote from: Nailer on July 23, 2015, 01:44:06 PM
There were only a few players from East Down in the starting fifteen against Tyrone last year and in Derry in the championship this year,there is certainly no doubt that South Down has the strongest minor teams in the county but we are certainly going to struggle to win anything at this level if almost half the county are not providing talented players to the county minor team.

The most antagonising and pointless argument that comes from Down Gaels (especially disaffected people that happen to reside in East Down). It's senseless.

ardtole

Nobody is questioning that the majority of the better footballers come from south down. But I also think that young lads from my end of the county are regularly overlooked for minor selection. Maybe the development squads will help in the future but at the moment you have a team for the league and a completely different team in the championship when the college footballers are called in.

TooLongRef

Quote from: redandblackareback on July 23, 2015, 05:00:22 PM
I see Poucher the guru has all the answers for us today in the Gaelic life, pity he wouldn't take some of his great knowledge and try and apply it to his ballyholland  team considering all the negative shite they deliver up there every week

You must be fond of us if you're watching us every week, tool.

thewobbler

It's
Quote from: redandblackareback on July 23, 2015, 05:00:22 PM

Haha. Mad.

Ballyholland have never in their history competed as well with the biggest clubs in the county, as they have done this season. And you still find room to criticise and condemn the coaching that has taken them there.

If anyone wants a 30 second insight into why Down football is a mess, just read this post.

Line Ball

Ballyholland love-in tonight  :D

Tiocfaidh Ned

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 22, 2015, 09:04:17 PM
shane mulholland was pretty scathing of the county board and the way he felt he was treated in an interview in todays newry reporter.

You'd have to have a certain amount of sympathy for Shane and how he has been treated by the County Executive Comittee. He may have not have got the results that we'd have hoped for but he was certainly trying to lay the foundations for the future development of underage football within the county. Questions have to be asked as to why we have no clear strategy for underage development, what happened to the development squad sub committee and their so called strategic review, which according to Shane, never saw the light of day. Typical of the Down way.

Still, Chucky Ned will pick up his salary on the last Friday of the month, Shane Mulholland never saw a penny, nor did he ask for one. At senior level we couldn't afford Tony McEntee, yet we can afford to keep the same hangers on, year in, year out, who are doing nothing but rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, sure what else would they do, it's the Down way after all.

#SackChuckNed #SackSeanOg #SackTheBoard

Smurfy123

The personal abuse on some of our county board men is nothing short of a disgrace.Although I don't give my name myself would all those giving out the personal abuse say it with your own name attached.Down are going through a tough time but my god keep the personal stuff out of it.I think it's time to start naming a few of these posters.

pauly2

The real part of the season has finally kicked off now.. Played well in the first half last night to lead by 5 but the ford used the elements well in the second to win by 4. With Dawson at the helm - This ford team will pack a punch come championship time.. Ford, kilcoo and burren are pace setters. Town, Mayobridge and clonduff are probably just behind them in second tier. Interesting few weeks coming up now before the big one kicks off.

Smurfy123

Pauly were you spying on the opposition saying as your a Burren man?wink wink

pauly2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 24, 2015, 10:33:19 AM
Pauly were you spying on the opposition saying as your a Burren man?wink wink
Smurfy - you have certainly got your wires crossed here. I'm a castlewellan man born and bred. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than to win the championship this year but I feel we are slightly behind the top three at present..