Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

interested

Never mind the who's supporting who in all of this but we're once more the laughing stock of the GAA world.

supersub

Quote from: superblues on July 21, 2015, 12:14:05 PM
Surly every club would of had a meeting to decide which way to vote and spoke to players involved would that not be the right thing to do . And supersub you still never said how you know the players are behind him

Again, do you really think every club did this? Of course it is the right thing to do, but I highly doubt this was carried out, especially as mentioned the short space of time between the two County meetings. And yes you are correct, I did not.

whitegoodman

Quote from: superblues on July 21, 2015, 12:14:05 PM
Surly every club would of had a meeting to decide which way to vote and spoke to players involved would that not be the right thing to do . And supersub you still never said how you know the players are behind him

He doesnt, at best he is surmising...

meatsy86

Steven Poacher
Wouldn't normally take to facebook for a statement like this but I think it's important people in the Down Gaa circles know the truth about what's going on in our county behind the scenes. First of all the decision to get rid of Shane Mulholland as Down minor manager last night was nothing short of disgraceful, iv been involved in coaching with the county since 06/07, development squads since 06/07 on + off until last yr and U21s from 2010-2012 and I have not seen one county coach / minor manager as proactive as Shane was in trying to change the structure, mindset of the clubs and more importantly the mindset and attitude of the players towards the development squads but there was so many barriers/obstacles placed in his way due to the major under investment and lack of desire / energy of those responsible to make a change. So instead of keeping a vibrant young manager (who is one of the best iv ever worked with) bleeds Down football, is a Down man true and true and in all the management teams U21, Senior or Minor was the only one being proactive towards our much needed and urgent rebuilding task from the bottom up, what we do is get rid of him. In 15 years of teaching PE, only one county minor manager has ever consulted regularly with the heads of PE (probably know the young players in the county more than anyone) that was Shane. I'd like the county board to provide the Down gaa public with clear reasoning behind their decision, the minors lost to Derry away led with 15minurtes to go and were hit by two fortuitous goals in a minute which swung the game, Derry then went on to win an Ulster title and will be potentially All Ireland champions. If the decision is based on results alone then both our Senior and U21 management teams should be relieved of their duties also, seniors lost 3 knockout games and the U21s lost theirs comfortably. I'd also like those responsible with the development process within the county to show us the blue print their all working too, where is the action plans? Are coaches providing session plans before taking these development squad sessions? Who is evaluating and reviewing these development squad sessions? I think we v accepted these decisions in the past and just rolled our eyes, well this for me has been one of the worse in recent times. There are a lot of great people associated with Down Gaa past or present through administration, playing, coaching or supporting, think it's time you made yourselves heard and started to question publically last night's shocking decision. Enough is Enough for me.

Those are Stephen Poachers comments on the issue according to his facebook account. A lot of truth in what he is saying i fear!!!

Brick Tamlin

For a teacher, his grasp of the English language is phenomenal.

pauly2

Quote from: meatsy86 on July 21, 2015, 02:57:39 PM
Steven Poacher
Wouldn't normally take to facebook for a statement like this but I think it's important people in the Down Gaa circles know the truth about what's going on in our county behind the scenes. First of all the decision to get rid of Shane Mulholland as Down minor manager last night was nothing short of disgraceful, iv been involved in coaching with the county since 06/07, development squads since 06/07 on + off until last yr and U21s from 2010-2012 and I have not seen one county coach / minor manager as proactive as Shane was in trying to change the structure, mindset of the clubs and more importantly the mindset and attitude of the players towards the development squads but there was so many barriers/obstacles placed in his way due to the major under investment and lack of desire / energy of those responsible to make a change. So instead of keeping a vibrant young manager (who is one of the best iv ever worked with) bleeds Down football, is a Down man true and true and in all the management teams U21, Senior or Minor was the only one being proactive towards our much needed and urgent rebuilding task from the bottom up, what we do is get rid of him. In 15 years of teaching PE, only one county minor manager has ever consulted regularly with the heads of PE (probably know the young players in the county more than anyone) that was Shane. I'd like the county board to provide the Down gaa public with clear reasoning behind their decision, the minors lost to Derry away led with 15minurtes to go and were hit by two fortuitous goals in a minute which swung the game, Derry then went on to win an Ulster title and will be potentially All Ireland champions. If the decision is based on results alone then both our Senior and U21 management teams should be relieved of their duties also, seniors lost 3 knockout games and the U21s lost theirs comfortably. I'd also like those responsible with the development process within the county to show us the blue print their all working too, where is the action plans? Are coaches providing session plans before taking these development squad sessions? Who is evaluating and reviewing these development squad sessions? I think we v accepted these decisions in the past and just rolled our eyes, well this for me has been one of the worse in recent times. There are a lot of great people associated with Down Gaa past or present through administration, playing, coaching or supporting, think it's time you made yourselves heard and started to question publically last night's shocking decision. Enough is Enough for me.

Those are Stephen Poachers comments on the issue according to his facebook account. A lot of truth in what he is saying i fear!!!

This takes a while to digest.....

So Stephen worked with development squads for a period of time - did he ever provide session plans before taking sessions, were his ever reviewed or evaluated?  Cop yourself on.  this is not teaching where plans and schemes are required.  It is usually anyone they can find to take the development squads after everyone else runs them down and gives out about them - but don't put their names forward to take them.
How can he back Mulhollands record?  2 seasons and 2 defeats in championship football.  the league is a different scenario at county minor level as if your school is enjoying success in the later stages of Hogan/Mc Crory football - you will be without key individuals.  the league can not really be seen as development as when the "college lads" come back - there are always changes to the minor panels. 
Shane Mulholland may be a nice lad of that I have no doubt - but bleeds down football?? Really...
Whilst last year he did make a sustained effort with the development squads - this year there was not much happening.  I realise he was very busy preparing and getting ready for the minor championship - but to not turn up at any development squads sessions doesn't strike me as someone who bleeds down football.  All 3 squads training in the same complex this year was a great idea and this allowed us mere parents to see exactly who was at sessions and who was not.  It also allowed us to see the squad coaches in action taking sessions and setting out drills and games etc.  I have to say I really enjoyed watching the different sessions and my lad who is u16 really got a buzz out of attending the sessions. the coaches were very professional in their approach and ran the sessions to the absolute best of their ability.  At the end of each session I make it a ritual to thank them for their continued efforts with the underage of the county.  They have sustained the effort and sessions throughout the year and have upcoming sessions this weekend again.  I hope this structure and indeed most if not all the coaches can be kept on board for next season.  I will probably be in a better position to judge where my lad has improved next year - but as long as he enjoys it and returns to the car with a smile on his face after the sessions - I cant ask for any more.

Why should the senior and u21 management teams be relieved of their duties?  This was their first year.. Stephen was with the U21s for 3 seasons and would have been asking questions had he been relieved of his duties after year 1 when they were beaten... If this time next year we are in a position where no improvement has happened - then yes it needs a major review.  But at least give them a reasonable chance to do something.  The league next year (div 1) is going to be tough - we all understand that.  Lets hope Jim can get a few players in after the club championship and blood them in the league an ready them for championship.  the u21s will hopefully get it right next year as well. 

No need for all the negativity - we are where we are and slating people is not going to solve anything.  Lets get back on board Stephen - who knows - you could be the Minor manager in waiting.......

OgraAnDun

Mulholland got the sack because in two years he won a total of zero knockout games in league or championship. U21 and senior management currently can boast of half that record, I highly doubt they will be reinstated if they double the feat next year. That is the difference between the handling of senior/U21/minor management.

And to go with what Brick Tamlin said, God help anyone who has their PE coursework marked by Poacher.

Nailer

I agree Mc Corry should be given another year, however it is worrying that we had to wait until Wexford dumped us out of the qualifiers before we knew what the goals were for the team. Did the county officers that appointed him not discuss and agree goals at the outset? If they did why were goals not set for the championship? Were the players told that promotion to Div 1 was the only goal this year?
Mc Corry made mistakes this year as did all managers but he needs to accept that and make the necessary changes to ensure our best players line out for Down which clearly did not happen this year.
What are reasonable goals for next year for our senior footballers?

thebar

Quote from: interested on July 21, 2015, 09:09:24 PM
Quote from: pauly2 on July 21, 2015, 05:55:51 PM
Quote from: meatsy86 on July 21, 2015, 02:57:39 PM
Steven Poacher

This takes a while to digest.....

So Stephen worked with development squads for a period of time - did he ever provide session plans before taking sessions, were his ever reviewed or evaluated?  Cop yourself on.  this is not teaching where plans and schemes are required.  It is usually anyone they can find to take the development squads after everyone else runs them down and gives out about them - but don't put their names forward to take them.
How can he back Mulhollands record?  2 seasons and 2 defeats in championship football.  the league is a different scenario at county minor level as if your school is enjoying success in the later stages of Hogan/Mc Crory football - you will be without key individuals.  the league can not really be seen as development as when the "college lads" come back - there are always changes to the minor panels. 
Shane Mulholland may be a nice lad of that I have no doubt - but bleeds down football?? Really...
Whilst last year he did make a sustained effort with the development squads - this year there was not much happening.  I realise he was very busy preparing and getting ready for the minor championship - but to not turn up at any development squads sessions doesn't strike me as someone who bleeds down football.  All 3 squads training in the same complex this year was a great idea and this allowed us mere parents to see exactly who was at sessions and who was not.  It also allowed us to see the squad coaches in action taking sessions and setting out drills and games etc.  I have to say I really enjoyed watching the different sessions and my lad who is u16 really got a buzz out of attending the sessions. the coaches were very professional in their approach and ran the sessions to the absolute best of their ability.  At the end of each session I make it a ritual to thank them for their continued efforts with the underage of the county.  They have sustained the effort and sessions throughout the year and have upcoming sessions this weekend again.  I hope this structure and indeed most if not all the coaches can be kept on board for next season.  I will probably be in a better position to judge where my lad has improved next year - but as long as he enjoys it and returns to the car with a smile on his face after the sessions - I cant ask for any more.

Why should the senior and u21 management teams be relieved of their duties?  This was their first year.. Stephen was with the U21s for 3 seasons and would have been asking questions had he been relieved of his duties after year 1 when they were beaten... If this time next year we are in a position where no improvement has happened - then yes it needs a major review.  But at least give them a reasonable chance to do something.  The league next year (div 1) is going to be tough - we all understand that.  Lets hope Jim can get a few players in after the club championship and blood them in the league an ready them for championship.  the u21s will hopefully get it right next year as well. 

No need for all the negativity - we are where we are and slating people is not going to solve anything.  Lets get back on board Stephen - who knows - you could be the Minor manager in waiting.......
Have you  no respect for your son by telling us he's on the U16 Dev Squad?
You might want to edit this as you're identifying yourself but worse identifying your son.

Would you catch a grip of yourself interested the man talking from his own personal experience I'm sure there is more than his fella training with this squad...

wobbller

Steven Poacher and his love-in.

Down Follower

Quote from: wobbller on July 21, 2015, 10:41:32 PM

I will give Poacher one thing. He has a passion for Down football and though all may not agree with his tactics and ways about him, he wants the best for his players and for this county. 

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Down Follower on July 22, 2015, 09:13:54 AM
Quote from: wobbller on July 21, 2015, 10:41:32 PM

I will give Poacher one thing. He has a passion for Down football and though all may not agree with his tactics and ways about him, he wants the best for his players and for this county.

Certainly looks up to Mulholland anyway, wrote a piece about him in Gaelic Life after the minor defeat claiming he was the best manager he has worked with etc.

downup

Well now here is a surprise. Steve sticking up for his former management colleague and the man whom he has written numerous column inches about over the past few weeks in admiration. Like it or not the harsh world of management is that you are judged on your results and that holds true even more at county level. It would be harsh after one year to get the sack so most managers get at least two bites at the cherry. It doesn't matter how you go about your job if you are winning, you will get all the plaudits for what you are doing so even though Mulholland may well have been proactive in his approach he wasn't winning championship matches and that led to his dismissal. The journey home from Derry done no favours either. Steve may well have points regarding the development squads in terms of working to a blueprint but my understanding is that POR is overseeing this so this should have no bearing on the minor managers job, its a big enough job in itself. It would be good to know however if Down underage teams are singing of the one hymn sheet in terms of development or is it just haphazard. It will be interesting to see how quickly and what process is used to select the next minor manager. 

imagine

Quote from: downup on July 22, 2015, 09:30:08 AM
Well now here is a surprise. Steve sticking up for his former management colleague and the man whom he has written numerous column inches about over the past few weeks in admiration. Like it or not the harsh world of management is that you are judged on your results and that holds true even more at county level. It would be harsh after one year to get the sack so most managers get at least two bites at the cherry. It doesn't matter how you go about your job if you are winning, you will get all the plaudits for what you are doing so even though Mulholland may well have been proactive in his approach he wasn't winning championship matches and that led to his dismissal. The journey home from Derry done no favours either. Steve may well have points regarding the development squads in terms of working to a blueprint but my understanding is that POR is overseeing this so this should have no bearing on the minor managers job, its a big enough job in itself. It would be good to know however if Down underage teams are singing of the one hymn sheet in terms of development or is it just haphazard. It will be interesting to see how quickly and what process is used to select the next minor manager.
Steven should move along and let this go.Developement squad improvement is indeed the way forward but the only alteration to the way the squads are run  this year is that they are going to S&C in a gym in Burren run by someone called O'Rourke.Is he any relation to Paddy who is overseeing this new blueprint?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: imagine on July 22, 2015, 10:17:52 AM
Quote from: downup on July 22, 2015, 09:30:08 AM
Steven should move along and let this go.Developement squad improvement is indeed the way forward but the only alteration to the way the squads are run  this year is that they are going to S&C in a gym in Burren run by someone called O'Rourke.Is he any relation to Paddy who is overseeing this new blueprint?

His son.