Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Going to be in Sa Coma on Sunday. Anyone able to recommend a Pub that might show the Tyrone Derry game?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 16, 2016, 05:01:41 PM
Had a few days in the Algarve last week, couldn't believe how cheap it was.

Going there in July. Love the Algarve.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rois on May 17, 2016, 07:32:47 AM
Most of it is at altitude (Zion similar to the Alpine towns I've visited in summer) - we're going in September which I'm hoping will be bearable, we'll hike in the mornings and avoid midday sun.

Be careful around Grand Canyon. The temperature there is significantly higher than than it is at ground level. Grand Canyon is a weird place for getting your bearings actually. Everyone has seen the photos of the Colorado river, and the huge rock formations, and your eye and mind sort of expect it to be a big towering landmark. Of course it's not, it's a massive hole in the ground :) So as you descend into the canyon, you will notice the heat, so be careful and don't over-extend yourselves.

Harold Disgracey

I have finally taken the plunge and booked my first ever sun holiday! I'm heading to Costa Adeje in Tenerife in the middle of August. Anyone been? It looked as if it would be decent for teenage kids.

AZOffaly

Nice video series of Grand Canyon. This scenery reinforces what I was talking about re. perception of the landscape. It's nearly impossible to remember all this is BELOW you instead of towering into the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hoGpYyn4Bs&index=7&list=PL34-ozNGa7CQO8ozpu9cXjX1TDDjOgia6

armaghniac

The Grand Canyon is a big crack, altogether.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

The first time I brought my parents to Grand Canyon, it was in April I think. We got up early to see a sunrise over the Canyon (spectacular). As we were getting ready to leave, I saw my auld lad looking around him. All over the horizon he was scanning for something. I asked him what he was looking for. He said 'That's fecking man made'. He was looking for Mountains, made as they dug the Canyon out :)

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 18, 2016, 02:41:38 PM
The first time I brought my parents to Grand Canyon, it was in April I think. We got up early to see a sunrise over the Canyon (spectacular). As we were getting ready to leave, I saw my auld lad looking around him. All over the horizon he was scanning for something. I asked him what he was looking for. He said 'That's fecking man made'. He was looking for Mountains, made as they dug the Canyon out :)

Jeepers, you'd be a while digging the Grand Canyon!
But as they say, a drip of water will wear away a mountain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 18, 2016, 01:55:58 PM
Nice video series of Grand Canyon. This scenery reinforces what I was talking about re. perception of the landscape. It's nearly impossible to remember all this is BELOW you instead of towering into the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hoGpYyn4Bs&index=7&list=PL34-ozNGa7CQO8ozpu9cXjX1TDDjOgia6
How was it formed, AZ? Was it glacial ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Doesn't seem to be glacial per se, although there are fissures created due to ice. It appears that the theory is it was largely erosion from the Colorado River, combined with rising plateaus as the (millions of) years went by.

http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/geology/gc_geol.htm

Under Lights

Much to do in Salthill for young kids?

AZOffaly

Salthill is basically made for young kids. The prom is full of amusements and Leisureland is there, with a big amusement park as well. The beaches obviously as well. How young are the kids?

Under Lights

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2016, 11:04:29 AM
Salthill is basically made for young kids. The prom is full of amusements and Leisureland is there, with a big amusement park as well. The beaches obviously as well. How young are the kids?

Oldest is three.  :-\

AZOffaly

Probably pool/beach and some of the smaller amusement yokes, roundabouts and the like. A babe in arms doesn't really care where you are anyway as long as it's not too hot, and Galway should be fine there :)

What type of activities did you have in mind?

Under Lights

All the aforementioned pool/beach/amusements.

Any recommendations of where to stay?