Ulster Club SFC 2023

Started by general_lee, September 26, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Tyrone clubs now have no excuses.
I think they are the last remaining county  that does straight knockout in Ulster

That means you only need to win 4 games to win Tyrone.
That will be the lowest amount of games that any team in Ulster has played to win their club championship this year
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Snapchap

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 29, 2023, 11:40:24 PMBut spare me the myth of Tyrone's the best championship, I watched final today, was crap

Tyrone's entire championship is not one of the best because you didn't enjoy the final? Not sure I follow the logic in that one. I judge a championship by the unpredictability of it. But I mean, if you prefer often meaningless group games with the same eventual winner each year, and where said winners know they don't really have to hit their peak until their county champioship is over, then you're welcome to it.

brokencrossbar1

With straight knock out there's always the more likely event of multiple champions year on year. I think the big thing about Tyrone is that there is so little between each team hence it is hard for a team to dominate. This has had a really positive impact on their county team as there are a greater number of players playing each other every championship who are able to step
Up to a higher level of football easier. Followed the game in Twitter yesterday and Trillick showed serious character. People will be making us favourites on our name alone for the 1/4 final and that's an insult to Trillick. If EC had won they'd be favourites against us so why not Trillick?  Will be a tricky game to say the least!

Eire90

would you say over half the county championships in the country are too predictable

imtommygunn

There are a number of "superteams" in the country who seem to win very regularly but I think it's maybe more prevalent in ulster than it seems to be in other provinces for whatever reason.

Snapchap

For anyone interested, here's the breakdown of the last 20 years of county championship title winners in Ulster:

Antrim - 2 teams have shared 18 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2022-23
St Galls 10
Cargain 8
Lámh Dhearg 1
Creggan Kickhams 1

Armagh: 1 team has won 15 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2022-23
Crossmaglen 15
Maghery 2
Pearse Óg 1
Clann Éireann 1
Armagh Harps 1

Cavan: 1 team has won 8 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2022-23
Cavan Gaels 8
Gowna 2
Ramor United 2
Mullahoran 2
Kingscourt 2
Castlerahan 2
Ballinagh 2
Crosserlough 1

Derry - 2 teams have shared 11 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2022-23
Slaughtneil 6
Ballinderry 5
Glen 2
An Lúb 2
Coleraine 2
Magherfelt 1
Bellaghy 1
Glenullin 1

Donegal - 2 teams have shared 13 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2022-23:
Naomh Conaill 7
St Eunan's 6
Gaoth Dobhair 2
Glenswilly 3
Ard an Rátha 1
Cill Chartha 1

Down: 2 teams have shared 16 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2022-23
Kilcoo 12
Mayobridge 5
Burren 3

Fermanagh: 2 teams have shared 13 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2018-19
Derrygonnelly 9
Roslea 4
Enniskillen Gaels 2
Newtownbutler 1
Teemore 1
Tempo 1
Ederney 1
Donagh 1

Monaghan: 2 teams have shared 14 of the last 20 titles. Last back to back winner 2020-21
Scotstown 8
Clontibret 6
Latton O'Rahillys 3
Ballybay 2
Magheracloone 1

Tyrone: No back to back winner since 2004-05
Dromore 4
Trillick 3
Errigal Ciaran 3
Carrickmore 2
Coalisland 2
Clonoe 2
Omagh 2
Killyclogher 1
Dunagannon 1

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 30, 2023, 10:51:08 AMThere are a number of "superteams" in the country who seem to win very regularly but I think it's maybe more prevalent in ulster than it seems to be in other provinces for whatever reason.

The likes of Corofin or Kilmacud seem to win regularly too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Nemo and dr crokes used to win regularly too but that seems to have stopped. Nemo and Kilmacaud are likely to always be in the mix though as they are huge. Corofin are probably smaller so more likely to be in a cycle. Dr Crokes I'm not so sure about.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 29, 2023, 06:01:46 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 29, 2023, 05:57:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 29, 2023, 04:48:49 PMLooks like Trillick will be the Tyrone team in Ulster

Hold that!

Finished it out. Here's hoping they party like fcuk for a few weeks!

They'll be spent seeing as it's the toughest championship in the northern hemisphere

What one in the Southern hemisphere is tougher?  ???
i usse an speelchekor

Eire90

manufactured success based on borders

trueblue1234

To be fair we do hear about Tyrone's championship being the toughest ever year. Mostly from MR 2 tho. 😂
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 30, 2023, 01:14:22 PMTo be fair we do hear about Tyrone's championship being the toughest ever year. Mostly from MR 2 tho. 😂

TBF I'm generally on the wind up and find it bizarre considering the wealth of talent in those teams in Tyrone

Remember watching Cookstown play before us in Armagh (way back) I think, and was chatting to the lads saying they would trouble some senior teams in Ulster. That decent Carrickmore team were there or there abouts

Like I said its odd
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Quote from: Eire90 on October 30, 2023, 01:08:47 PMmanufactured success based on borders

Are you criticising the GAA in general or just comparing it to soccer where it comes down to who can find the wealthiest Saudi prince or Russian Ogliarch to throw money at it?

seafoid

Having a dominant club is usually uncorrelated with county all Ireland success. Tyrone seems to be more like Kerry and Kilkenny than anything else. The last 20 years in club have featured teams from Mayo, Ros , Galway, Armagh  and Antrim winning 13 out of 20 all Irelands when the counties didn't.

Kernan_is_King

I think there is a connection between the top club in Armagh and their county success.
Big Joe - Big Future!