Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Heard that last night , typical enough of Maughan . Was it mid West he was calling that for ? Hands down Diarmuid was motm . Will the replay be next sat . Does Padraig o Connor not start games at all these days ? Think if tubber can get an improved game out of Cillian the next day it might not just be a matter of the favs winning the replay like a lot were saying down the town last night .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 07, 2018, 12:02:07 AM
Lack of underage talent - operating at C levels at a lot of levels, means they MIGHT be a while out of senior ranks.

I saw that alright where they beat us in an under 15(?) C final recently but it was our second team against their first team. Presumably it's a numbers thing i.e. not enough jobs / young families in the area

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 07, 2018, 11:06:46 AM
Lack of underage talent - operating at C levels at a lot of levels, means they MIGHT be a while out of senior ranks.

I saw that alright where they beat us in an under 15(?) C final recently but it was our second team against their first team. Presumably it's a numbers thing i.e. not enough jobs / young families in the area

Crossmolina had a one in a generation team 20 years ago! A group of lads that won every thing all the way up at underage and proceeded to do the same at senior. Immigration is the death of the rural Ireland. It either takes away the finished product from the club or the new family that will be the heart beat of the next generation.

stephenite

They had a strong team that were challenging for Senior County titles back in the mid-late 1980's too.

There was a time you could say these things were swings and roundabouts, and they'd bounce back at some stage. Not sure you could say that now, I really do hope they bounce back.

rosnarun

Quote from: stephenite on October 08, 2018, 03:29:09 AM
They had a strong team that were challenging for Senior County titles back in the mid-late 1980's too.

There was a time you could say these things were swings and roundabouts, and they'd bounce back at some stage. Not sure you could say that now, I really do hope they bounce back.

the loss of board na moan and ESB on Corrick have been a massive blow and have not been replaced in any way,
even from a coaching/ structure  point of view many of the driving forces behind the club  were often outsider working there . Wasn't it that that brought Ciaran Mcdonalds dad down from Donegal
italso provided plenty of outlet for yong people to stay and work and the town thrived . the building boom hid it for a while but chickens are coming home to roost and now  its a Ghost town esp mid week  and the Team have done Brilliantly to stay senior as long as they Did .
Far from a unique story but still very sad
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

spuds

Cross had 3 adult football teams what seems like not that long ago. Is it 2 teams now?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

From the Bunker

Quote from: spuds on October 10, 2018, 11:14:53 AM
Cross had 3 adult football teams what seems like not that long ago. Is it 2 teams now?

Yeah, they won the Junior Championship with their 'B' Team in 2006.

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2018, 12:35:33 PM

Yeah, they won the Junior Championship with their 'B' Team in 2006.
They nearly always did if you include Keenagh
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Castlebar out. A rested Breaffy won't get many better chances to win a county title than next weekend.

Farrandeelin

Poor Donie Vaughan's wait for a Senior championship medal continues.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 13, 2018, 09:20:28 PM
Poor Donie Vaughan's wait for a Senior championship medal continues.

Sympathy won't be very plentiful
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on October 07, 2018, 12:06:04 AM
Diarmuid o Connor tonight , jeez crist he was outrageous.

His game in Newbridge was one of the best I've ever seen from a Mayo player.

moysider

They were arguably the best at senior, intermediate and junior back then. They beat Killala in a junior final but Killala went all the way to an AI final iirc? Cross. could not represent the county at Junior. Killala were a serious Junior team, so for Crossmolina to win that was some achievement.

Crossmolina have launched their own rugby club now as well which will hardly help?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 07, 2018, 12:07:21 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 07, 2018, 11:06:46 AM

Crossmolina had a one in a generation team 20 years ago! A group of lads that won every thing all the way up at underage and proceeded to do the same at senior. Immigration is the death of the rural Ireland. It either takes away the finished product from the club or the new family that will be the heart beat of the next generation.

There were two teams really that were a couple of years apart. The Jimmy Nallen, Ciaran McDonald, Damien Mulligan, Liam Moffatt era were followed by the likes of Peadar G, Rochy, Colm Reilly, M Moyles, Enda Lavelle, Gabriel Walsh.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on October 15, 2018, 12:45:43 AM

They were arguably the best at senior, intermediate and junior back then. They beat Killala in a junior final but Killala went all the way to an AI final iirc? Cross. could not represent the county at Junior. Killala were a serious Junior team, so for Crossmolina to win that was some achievement.

Crossmolina have launched their own rugby club now as well which will hardly help?

They had a rugby team in the 50's and a senior football team.My friend's dad played both for Crossmolina back then. I would say the new rugby team will only be u8's and u10's which will hardly threaten a well run GAA club.
When I was young Ballina RFC were winning well at underage and the Stephenites were winning at underage too so I think the more sports kids play the better.
Emigration is the real threat to Mayo GAA not 10 year old or 16 year old kids playing soccer or rugby.