Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

They are definitely over achieving... they have an extremely limited squad and are 2nd in the league when they really shouldn't be near it Chelsea/Liverpool and Tottenham have better squads but aren't performing.

United have Fernandes and Pogba possibly Cavani who are top players with the rest distinctly average but can put in a shift when needed. United are basically Leicester who play a compact defence and hope to get a few speedsters through on the break. It's been very effective especially with other teams stuttering for a variety of different reasons but you're not going to win a league like that anymore Leicester was a one off!!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 23, 2021, 06:42:39 PM
Between Fred, McTominay and Matic United have some poor midfielders.
Wouldn't say poor but none of them would be starters for Leicester because Telemans, Ndidi are better.

Lack of a good consistent CDM is one of the biggest weakest in that United team. McTominay is not suited to that role as he's a box to midfielder, Fred no consistency and can produce awful performances like last Sunday. Matic is done and a slower league like the Serie A would suit him better.

In the terms of priority signings this summer and all needs to be 1st choice instead of squad players.

1.A good consistent CDM
2. Centre back with pace and isn't injury prone
3. Right sided winger
4. 20 goal a season Striker that isn't over 30 and injury prone

Knowing United at best 1 of those priority signings will be brought in during the summer window.

@Boycey another way of looking at it is if Klopp, Pep, Tuchel had manage this group of United players where would they finish in the league?   Most of the predictions I recall before this season started was 4th place finish or outside the top 4 as Ole isn't rated highly by many and other teams had a  better transfer window.

Boycey

Quote from: Rich Ricci on March 23, 2021, 09:02:01 PM
I don't see how you can think Utd are over achieving? If they don't win the Europa League that will be 4 years without a trophy. Do you think Utd are doing well because they're coming a distant 2nd in the league?

United as a club are under achieving big time currently given their natural resources. I'm asking if the current manager and crop of players are given how weak people think the squad. Just look at the other answers I got...

Maroon Manc

There's always an over reaction when United get beat, Fred has his limitations but he's had a good season but he hasn't been great in the last few weeks which can be put down to been over played and I don't think its coincidental that his performances suffer when he's partnered with Matic.

We could be here all day discussing what United potentially need but I think Haaland has to be the no 1 target this summer; If Martial was producing performances likes he did in the 2nd half of last season then I'd likely say centre half but he's not and he's been woeful since the start of the season. Haaland too is one of the best players in the world already and is only 20 and will make a huge difference to this United side.

Who knows whether Ole is the answer but to this date probably deserves the chance to be backed this summer but lets see what the rest of the season brings first. Last summer it was clear United needed players who were good enough for the first 11 and that hasn't materialised so its fair to say the Glazers can't be trusted to back the manager this summer. Then there's the Pogba issue, I suspect he's happy to run down his contract so the best United can hope for is potentially a swap deal with Varane who's in a similar situation to Pogba; Would Varane be as enthusiastic as Pogba, no chance.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 26, 2021, 10:07:14 AM
There's always an over reaction when United get beat, Fred has his limitations but he's had a good season but he hasn't been great in the last few weeks which can be put down to been over played and I don't think its coincidental that his performances suffer when he's partnered with Matic.

We could be here all day discussing what United potentially need but I think Haaland has to be the no 1 target this summer; If Martial was producing performances likes he did in the 2nd half of last season then I'd likely say centre half but he's not and he's been woeful since the start of the season. Haaland too is one of the best players in the world already and is only 20 and will make a huge difference to this United side.

Who knows whether Ole is the answer but to this date probably deserves the chance to be backed this summer but lets see what the rest of the season brings first. Last summer it was clear United needed players who were good enough for the first 11 and that hasn't materialised so its fair to say the Glazers can't be trusted to back the manager this summer. Then there's the Pogba issue, I suspect he's happy to run down his contract so the best United can hope for is potentially a swap deal with Varane who's in a similar situation to Pogba; Would Varane be as enthusiastic as Pogba, no chance.

Do Utd have the players to play the ball out from the back? If they don't, why the f**k do they try it? I'd like to see a stat on goals given away from doing just that. Keeper kick the f**king ball up the park, let the forwards try and break it down for the midfielders ffs!

Or throw it to the wingers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2021, 10:14:24 AM

Do Utd have the players to play the ball out from the back? If they don't, why the f**k do they try it? I'd like to see a stat on goals given away from doing just that. Keeper kick the f**king ball up the park, let the forwards try and break it down for the midfielders ffs!

McTominay has really improved in that department and hasn't made too many mistakes. Fred unfortunately has a mistake in him but look at Pogba and how many times he gets caught in possession. I think its worth the gamble, its not led to that many goals this season.

Maguire is excellent at bringing it out, if he can get a partner who's as comfortable as he is then it will make a difference. Wan Bisaka clearly limited on the ball but he has shown some improvements but given the demands of this season its difficult for the coaches to spend as much time as they'd like to on the training pitch.

bigarsedkeeper

We had De Gea trying to do that under Jose and it was shite. Wingers aren't really wingers anymore either so they're not in that position to run onto the throw like Giggs and Beckham did. I think Henderson has brought a bit of variation into it though, he will throw it long into space and he's a bit more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Every team plays out now, if Fred can't be trusted with the ball then he shouldn't be in there. I don't like that McTominay gets threw in with Freds problems. He's much better at that type of play than Fred and he didn't cost 52 million.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 26, 2021, 10:24:49 AM

McTominay has really improved in that department and hasn't made too many mistakes. Fred unfortunately has a mistake in him but look at Pogba and how many times he gets caught in possession. I think its worth the gamble, its not led to that many goals this season.

Maguire is excellent at bringing it out, if he can get a partner who's as comfortable as he is then it will make a difference. Wan Bisaka clearly limited on the ball but he has shown some improvements but given the demands of this season its difficult for the coaches to spend as much time as they'd like to on the training pitch.

That's massively been underestimated by people this year. A lot of sessions would be recovery with 2 games a week for such a long time.

thewobbler

I think you overestimate how much coaching goes on during a regular season.

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on March 26, 2021, 11:38:52 AM
I think you overestimate how much coaching goes on during a regular season.
Bound to have an impact. Why do clubs employ so many coaches then?

NAG1

In terms of coaching, I would say the tighter schedule is having an impact but that means there is probably even more video work etc going on instead of on the pitch stuff.

Lots of time for individual interventions and player improvement.

Case in point is Fred he has dramatically improved under Ole just think he has reached the limit of his talent, effort wise can never be faulted.

Strange one Nicky Butt leaving, must have been in for the DOF job and hasn't taken it too well, any truth to the rumour that he is on Keane's Celtic ticket?

Ethan Tremblay

Coaching is about more than physical activity.  A coaching session may involve players working on their positional awareness and reviewing games to better understand that, something I wouldn't think would be too physically draining?

At this level fine margins matter, so there can be plenty of coaching going on, just don't assume its with a ball every time. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

GJL

That should be top 4 in the bag.

Utd must be looking at some sort of record for the amount of times coming from behind to win in one season.

Cunny Funt

Game of two halves that match was tonight. Well organised Brighton deserved their 1st half lead while United stepped it up 2nd half for a hard earned win.

11 points ahead 5th of now with 8 games to play, a more and decent position to be in.

Rich Ricci

Decent 2nd half performance. Rashford finished his goal well. Hopefully that Greenwood goal can be a kick up the arse for him and he gets some of the form from last season back. Utd really need him back to his best.