New Sligo manager Niall Carew

Started by ck, October 20, 2014, 09:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Niall Carew is new Sligo manager.
Interesting character here lads. Was with McGeeney in Kildare and became well known for his antics in the papers. Then went to Waterford and made no impact. During the summer he was in the papers again for winning 250k on a massive accumulator bet! Now he's heading up to us for a shot at Sligo.
I'm not sure what to make of this appointment. Any thoughts out there?

twohands!!!

Quote from: ck on October 20, 2014, 09:58:07 PM
Niall Carew is new Sligo manager.
Interesting character here lads. Was with McGeeney in Kildare and became well known for his antics in the papers. Then went to Waterford and made no impact. During the summer he was in the papers again for winning 250k on a massive accumulator bet! Now he's heading up to us for a shot at Sligo.
I'm not sure what to make of this appointment. Any thoughts out there?

He was fairly scathing about the Waterford County Board and how useless they were in terms of providing any sort of decent support to the footballers compared to the hurlers. IIRC the Waterford footballers wanted him to stay which you'd have to think is a decent sign.

Division 3 looks fairly wide open in terms of promotion [besides Armagh] so will be interesting to see how he gets on.

In terms of championship, their first game is Roscommon(or London) in the Connacht semi-final which isnt the worst championship opener.

twohands!!!

Donnellys Hollow

Unfortunately his accumulator only scooped €170k not €250k. Also I don't know where the comment about him being well known for his antics in the papers is coming from. Apart from some fairly innocuous comments before the Donegal quarter final in 2011, I don't recall reading anything about him in the press apart from the usual fluff in the local papers here in Kildare.

He's fairly ambitious and organised. He was over NUIM, Robertstown and did good work with a modest lot at Ellistown before becoming a selector under McGeeney. He was heavily involved in scouting out potential county players in the club scene in that management setup and did a decent job on that score. The Waterford players did appear to be keen for him to stay on for a third year but he didn't think the county board were prepared to match his ambition. His CV is solid rather than spectacular. Whether that is enough to inspire the Sligo players to greater heights I don't know, but he will not lack for effort in working hard towards that end. I suppose Roli Sweeney will be part of his managerial ticket again?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ck

That's a decent run down DH. I'm hopeful for him in Sligo.

First I had heard of him was doing interviews whilst with Kildare which apparently McGeeney wasn't happy about. Ah only 170k, well sounds like he's a gambler, a risk taker and a punter! Should be right at home in Sligo! 😉

Ohtoohtobe

ck

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on October 21, 2014, 06:10:55 AM
Quote from: ck on October 20, 2014, 11:19:35 PM
which apparently McGeeney wasn't happy about😉

Untrue.

Not according to sources I know. Apparently they had a falling out over it. Carew went on a solo run on previewing a game and telling the ref to look out for fouling from the opposition and that. It was sanctioned by McGeeney apparently.

magpie seanie

Who are his selectors? A new man coming to a county can be doomed from the start if the wrong people are put around him.

rodney trotter

Ronan Sweeney former Kildare player is alongside Carew as coach, was involved with Waterford too

magpie seanie

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 21, 2014, 01:49:17 PM
Ronan Sweeney former Kildare player is alongside Carew as coach, was involved with Waterford too

That's good. It's the stooks the county board put with him that I'm worried about.

ck

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 21, 2014, 02:13:29 PM

That's good. It's the stooks the county board put with him that I'm worried about.

I've heard of a number of Sligo heads mentioned to go in with him. I sincerely hope he doesn't run with any of them. They are all "well connected" county board men. I hope Carew gets proper support

magpie seanie

Quote from: ck on October 21, 2014, 03:09:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 21, 2014, 02:13:29 PM

I've heard of a number of Sligo heads mentioned to go in with him. I sincerely hope he doesn't run with any of them. They are all "well connected" county board men. I hope Carew gets proper support

Of course they are. I haven't spoken to anyone but I could probably list them. Depressing. Completely depressing. I'm a glass half full guy usually but I'm totally pessimistic about Sligo GAA.

sligoman2

I don't know much about Niall but I wish him the best.  We need to make sure our best team is on the field and hopefully they can recognise and select that  team.
I am more hopeful than Seanie as he will have some time to meet the team and assess the ability before the league starts.
Good luck Niall, hopefully better days lie ahead.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: ck on October 21, 2014, 10:35:07 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on October 21, 2014, 06:10:55 AM
Quote from: ck on October 20, 2014, 11:19:35 PM
which apparently McGeeney wasn't happy about😉

Untrue.

Not according to sources I know. Apparently they had a falling out over it. Carew went on a solo run on previewing a game and telling the ref to look out for fouling from the opposition and that. It was sanctioned by McGeeney apparently.

Yeah it was the All-Ireland quarter-final in 2011 against Donegal. Kildare tried to draw attention to what they perceived as persistent fouling by Donegal. Of course Carew would have spoken about this with McGeeney's full knowledge. How McGeeney could be unhappy about something he orchestrated is beyond me. Any falling out - I doubt one occurred - can't have been too severe as Carew was still a key part of the backroom team for the entire 2012 season.