Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

restorepride

Correct: 2-4.  Still a win for Antrim and deserved.

Waataboutyee

bannside

42 minutes without a score tells it's own tale.

tonesfirstandlast

Good wins for both codes this weekend.
Hard luck to the u20s. Just kicked too many wides.

oakleaflad

Derry scraped past a poor enough Louth side if truth be told.
Rogers, Keenan and McGuigan the pick of the players.
Heron and McCluskey done rightly too.
Good to see Loughlin back, he has something about him and will be an addition to the forwards.
McFaul didn't have his usual impact.
Thought McKaigue was poorer than I've seen him in a while.
Tough to see us getting promoted now with other results not going our way.

toby47

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 25, 2020, 03:31:21 PM
Good to see Loughlin back, he has something about him and will be an addition to the forwards.

McKaigue hasn't been the same player the last few times I've seen him play, including club championship.

He seems do be doing a bit more media stuff & is now managing Desertmartin. I wonder is he taking his eye off the ball a bit.

Probably going to need a result vs Cork this weekend to get promotion. They are the best team in the division and if they click could win the game comfortably, however they conceded 0-21 vs Tipp at the weekend so maybe a slighttt glimmer :o

tbrick18

Quote from: toby47 on February 25, 2020, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 25, 2020, 03:31:21 PM

McKaigue hasn't been the same player the last few times I've seen him play, including club championship.

He seems do be doing a bit more media stuff & is now managing Desertmartin. I wonder is he taking his eye off the ball a bit.

Probably going to need a result vs Cork this weekend to get promotion. They are the best team in the division and if they click could win the game comfortably, however they conceded 0-21 vs Tipp at the weekend so maybe a slighttt glimmer :o

Realistically, we need to win our remaining games a d hope that down drop points.
Down have a much easier run in than us, Leitrim and Louth I think where we have Cork and Longford.
Be very surprised if we beat Cork in particular, so it's hard to see promotion.

Derry Optimist

One of the main problems that the Derry Senior County football squad has is the absence of tall,speedy,mobile and natural midfielders  within the panel.They do not have high fielding ball winners who know when to create an overlap,who can pass long,accurately and incisively  and  score freely.

Thus very good and versatile players like Chrissy McKaigue and Ciaran McFaul are overworked trying to play out of their normal and more natural positions.In other words they are the victims of their own versatility and their own phenomenal workrates.In addition the defence misses Chrissy's stability and leadership qualities and  likewise the forward line could do with Ciaran playing in a more advanced position.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there are no buddung Jim McKeevers,Anthony Tohills,Fergal Dohertys or Enda Muldoons in the county.So, like at least 20 other counties in Ireland, Derry suffers in this regard when it comes to creating scoring opportunities for their forwards. In essence this is the real reason why Derry find it extremely difficult to score much more easily despite the fact that they often have much more possession but fail to put teams away as it were.

Rory Gallagher was very successful with a, admittedly, very good Donegal side but he also maximised the attainment of a much more limited Frmanagh side.We must live in hope that he will be able to successfully marry the younger talents of the skilful Niall Loughlin,Odhran Lynch,Padraic McGrogan,Conor McCluskey,Alex Doherty,Niall Keenan and Ben McCarron to the leadership qualities of the McKaigue brothers,Enda Lynn,Brendan Rogers and Ciaran McFaul.If he does so their combined performances will out weigh their individual talents and Derry will be a more viable Division Two side, if not this year, definitely next.It is very much a slow but progressive and incremental pathway back to the top table for this Derry side.If Gallager and his management team stick to this type of a concerted effort they will have done  Derry some service.Doire Abu.

Keyser soze

In fairness to Gallagher Derry are conceding a lot less goals than we were last year in an easier division, think we conceded 11 goals in Div 4 last year versus 2 so far in Div 3. IMO this was the major issue that we needed to address.

There does seem to be a reluctance about going for the jugular when we're on top but getting that balance between being defensively sound and pressing home the attack is a conundrum that even McGuinness and Gavin struggled with initially. In my book getting the first part in place is a necessary building block which needs time to cement itself into the psyche of the team before going on to building a flowing attacking game as well.

Cue Cork banging in 4 against us next day out lol.

tbrick18

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 26, 2020, 09:30:08 AM
In fairness to Gallagher Derry are conceding a lot less goals than we were last year in an easier division, think we conceded 11 goals in Div 4 last year versus 2 so far in Div 3. IMO this was the major issue that we needed to address.

There does seem to be a reluctance about going for the jugular when we're on top but getting that balance between being defensively sound and pressing home the attack is a conundrum that even McGuinness and Gavin struggled with initially. In my book getting the first part in place is a necessary building block which needs time to cement itself into the psyche of the team before going on to building a flowing attacking game as well.

Cue Cork banging in 4 against us next day out lol.

Yeah I'd agree with that. We also have limited options going forward at the minute with players injured and returning.
Benny Heron just back, Loughlin the last day and still Enda Lynn to return, so in theory or attack should improve as players return.
What I did like was Gallagher's post match interview. I thought he was bang on the money with what he said, so that's a good sign as he knows what he has to work on with the team.
I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get promotion this year. It's a lot more competitive a division than last year so that can only help the team improve whilst getting to terms with Gallagher's plans. There are signs of improvement so that's all you can hope for.

Estimator

Was only 9 goals and 4 of those were scored in the final game, with qualification decided and played with a carnival attitude. Regardless it was still too many to concede in that division.

2019 Division 3:
Rd 1
Derry 1-10 Antrim 1-09

Rd 2
Derry 0-19 London 1-09

Rd 3
Derry 2-12 Waterford 1-08

Rd 4
Derry 2-08 Wicklow 0-09

Rd 5
Derry 0-13 Limerick 1-05

Rd 6
Derry 2-16 Leitrim 1-12

Rd 7
Derry 3-21 Wexford 4-16

Derry were top scorers in the league with 129pts, (ahead of Leitrim by 10pts)
However, they did concede more than Leitrim, Antrim, Wicklow, Limerick and London. 
Again that final round result did affect the Scores Against column.

2020 Division 2:

Rd 1
Derry 2-11 Leitrim 1-14

Rd 2
Derry 0-12 Down 0-14

Rd 3
Derry 0-10 Tipperary 0-05

Rd 4
Derry 2-10 Louth 1-09

Currently Derry have the meanest defence in the league, with 3 counties ahead of them in the scoring charts.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Red10

Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 25, 2020, 07:54:50 PM
One of the main problems that the Derry Senior County football squad has is the absence of tall,speedy,mobile and natural midfielders  within the panel.They do not have high fielding ball winners who know when to create an overlap,who can pass long,accurately and incisively  and  score freely.

Thus very good and versatile players like Chrissy McKaigue and Ciaran McFaul are overworked trying to play out of their normal and more natural positions.In other words they are the victims of their own versatility and their own phenomenal workrates.In addition the defence misses Chrissy's stability and leadership qualities and  likewise the forward line could do with Ciaran playing in a more advanced position.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there are no buddung Jim McKeevers,Anthony Tohills,Fergal Dohertys or Enda Muldoons in the county.So, like at least 20 other counties in Ireland, Derry suffers in this regard when it comes to creating scoring opportunities for their forwards. In essence this is the real reason why Derry find it extremely difficult to score much more easily despite the fact that they often have much more possession but fail to put teams away as it were.

Rory Gallagher was very successful with a, admittedly, very good Donegal side but he also maximised the attainment of a much more limited Frmanagh side.We must live in hope that he will be able to successfully marry the younger talents of the skilful Niall Loughlin,Odhran Lynch,Padraic McGrogan,Conor McCluskey,Alex Doherty,Niall Keenan and Ben McCarron to the leadership qualities of the McKaigue brothers,Enda Lynn,Brendan Rogers and Ciaran McFaul.If he does so their combined performances will out weigh their individual talents and Derry will be a more viable Division Two side, if not this year, definitely next.It is very much a slow but progressive and incremental pathway back to the top table for this Derry side.If Gallager and his management team stick to this type of a concerted effort they will have done  Derry some service.Doire Abu.

Sure you never know with Derry. There's likely to be a new list of new up and coming hopefuls for the future this time next year. Last year you would have said the likes of Coney,McGill,Concannon,Quinn were all looking as if maybe at least one or two could make the break through, especially McGill. The only thing consistent is a few lads who haven't really cut it at top County level for a few years despite being there for a long time and getting plenty of opportunity, plus a couple who who are in and out every other year. 

Derryboi

Scoring 3 11 against the best team in the division. Derry done what gallagher asked of them,and put in a performance. Not bad imo. Signs of potential are maybe starting to show.be interesting to hear from those who were at the match.thats the last time I leave a match early. Derry were down by 8 or 9 in the 66th minute,and I left.5 hr drive ahead of me a d goin home defeated. Ud all do it too!!

Derry Optimist

Can anyone who was at the game between Cork and Derry  yesterday give an accurate report  of how the whole team played throughout the entire game?

Reading some of the media accounts one could deduce it was only over confident and careless play by Cork which allowed  a poor Derry side back into the game with some lucky goals against the run of play.

I was hoping that it was the determined,intelligent play of the Derry team as a whole which allowed them to dramatically narrow the deficit.

Perhaps some enlightened Derrry supporter who was at the game  could give a balanced view of how the team generally played and  if there was a huge gap in the quality of both teams.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Hurlers going well. Big game next week though