The New Mayo.....

Started by Maradona, December 05, 2006, 01:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highking

Just heard that Ray Dempsey got the Minor job tonight at CB meeting. Ivors not appointed. Third manager to fall this year. Looks as if the CB dont like their managers to get their feet under the table. Brennan got the Hurling job.

stephenite

So Dempsey got the job, as far as I know his managerial CV includes getting Knockmore relegated. Still, wish him all the best

dodo

Would be very interested in peoples view on Dempsey as a manager. Seems like a sound enough skin but never struck me as management material.

stephenite

Don't know the guy personally, i know a few lads who reckon he wouldn't be the best communicator in the world and at least one lad who says he was completley to blame for Knockmore being relegated, don't buy that myself as it was a classic case of a player not taking responsibilty.
Ivors had his run and for whatever reasons the board viewed Raymondeen as the best of the other candidates, would have thought our own man Barry Murphy would have been in with a good shout so disappointed for him, that said , move on and wish Dempsey all the best for the year.

westmayo

Heard on Mad West this morning that Moyles was appointed Sligo minor manager last night after he didn't get the Mayo job

Farrandeelin

It's nice to see Ray Dempsey as the minor manager. As Stephenite said his only other real management job was with Knockmore when we did poorly in the league. I think he was managing Lahardane for a while when they nearly made the breakthrough to senior, they were doing well enough then anyway at intermediate level.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Barney

Have no real opinion on the appointment of Dempsey. Give him a chance, see how he does. Anyone know who his selectors are?

The one positive is that there is a change because we were going nowhere fast with Ivors and his 109 selectors. I think with proper management we had a team good enough to beat Roscommon in this years Connacht Final.

Farrandeelin

Yes Barney, and where were all the Breaffy lads who won the minor A championship? I know it's no good now but questions should be asked of the management especially with all the selectors that were running the show.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Stephen Healy from Charlestown, Kevin Beirne, Claremorris and Tomas O'Grady from Burrishoole are Dempsey's three selectors. Could be wrong but think there may be one more guy. Martin McGrath is as trainer and Maurice Sheridan into work with forwards and free takers. Sounds like Ray has been busy, that's a decent backroom team. I'd give him every chance with it.
Agree with Farrandeelin on the Breaffy minor lads, there should have been at least three of them involved this year from what I saw.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

Delighted to see Dempsey given the chance.
His only stint as a senior manager was with knockmore but i dont think that he was completely at fault.
Dempsey has always reminded me of a roy keane type in his attitude towards preparation and this shows in his backroom team already being chosen, no waiting around.
He will have a fair knowledge of the minor scene having managed the knockmore minors to this yrs county final and winning the div 2 final last weekend, on both occasions playing breaffy, so expect a few lads from thhere this year.
Dempsey has been involved  in under-age football for the last few years and i expect him to do well

Interesting to see that micheal moyles is the new sligo minor manager, awaiting ratification from the county board
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

dodo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 07, 2006, 02:45:38 PM
Delighted to see Dempsey given the chance.
His only stint as a senior manager was with knockmore but i dont think that he was completely at fault.

Its not very reassuring to think that he was not completely at fault, implying that he was partially to blame.

Wish him the best for his tenure in charge. Has a few good men there to help him.
Stephen Healy did a very good job with Charlestown a few years back.
Maurice Sheridan is an interesting addition.
Do either Kevin Beirne or Tomas O'Grady have much experience in this area ?

Mayo4Sam

I say not completely at fault because i was away for the end of the season and not involved at all with the team before that so its hard to tell but i think we had a very young team after losing a lot of influencial players (Chuckie & stanton esp)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 07, 2006, 02:45:38 PM

Dempsey has always reminded me of a roy keane type in his attitude towards preparation

::) Signs were always on him alright

MacDanger

QuoteIts not very reassuring to think that he was not completely at fault, implying that he was partially to blame.

It'd be a bit much to completely absolve the manager of blame don't you think...............??

Cllr Willie Power

C'mon lads, club politics has always played a huge part in the selection of underage teams - this isn't a new thing!

Interesting of selection of Dempsey alright, along with the back room team. Hope it doesn't expand to reach the proportions of recent years!  ::) Best of luck to them though.

Moyles was an interesting nomination - has he any experience with any club or college teams or was the nomination due to his retirement (although he has since played)?