NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Chrimtain on February 03, 2020, 12:43:48 PM
Yes, we need to lose the attitude that lads can walk back into a team. Quirke seems to have adopted the attitude that they can't.

Yeah right. So they will sit on the bench for a few weeks, work hard in training, a big game will come and they will make a substitutes appearance after which they will be wholly redeemed and the fact that they weren't around for several months will be forgotten about. Sure hasn't every manager in recent times had the attitude that lads can't walk back onto the team. After they do their penance it is all forgotten about. If Donie K wanted to be involved he would be a key player come championship time.

redsetanta

Fantastic start to the league. Nobody would have thought that Laois would be top of the division after two games, games that were arguably two of toughest in the league, Kildare aside. In saying that though the results yesterday show that nothing is a given in this league. As things stand there is nothing between teams and a fair spread of points.
If Laois continue to perform like they have they will be there or thereabouts at the end. Not sure if i'd be overly enthusiastic about getting promoted thiough. Meath are struggling big time and there does seem to be quite a gap still between the top 6 or 7 and the rest.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

I thought the support was okay .
Lots there from Armagh but good spatter from Laois and they gave them a great reception going off at half time .

Here is my ratings for what its worth
I respect every player in a county shirt it's only an opinion and I don't mean to cause any offence

CORBET -7  Decent kickouts and comfortable going forward with the ball one really hairy moment but looks the part .

BYRNE-8 What a debut what a find .composed tenacious and scored a great point .Hopefully more to come .

TIMMONS -9 Like a good red wine getting better with age .His point was worth the extra fiver admission fee .

HANRAHAN -7 Solid looks very fit and strong great option there with Attride missing

O'FLYNN -7 Did well in spells and his harrying was good.Nice reader of the game too

PIGOTT -8 One of his best games in a Laois shirt .Strong and hardy blocks up the middle well .
Once he keeps the temper in check and his distribution simple he will be player for manys a year.

O'SULLIVAN -6 Some good things and bad things .3 very wayward passes in the first half one which could have cost us a goal but great speed and he will grow into this team.

O'LOUGHLIN -8 Looks trim and in great condition .started slowly but by the end he was in control of the middle .
Great at tackling the ball in the contact something all our lads could learn .

BYRNE-7 worked hard got on a lot of break ball and shows great drive going forward can only get better

KEOGH -7 Quiet in spells but did score a great opening point for Laois

MURPHY -6 Not one of his better games but was double marked for a lot of it did draw a great foul near the end to kill the game .He will improve cause he has it all to be a real important player for us .

LOWRY -8 Got through an ocean of work before his harsh black card .did well when he came on aswell .
Good intelligence on the ball and off it .

BARRY -8 Excellent on the frees ,Munnelly must be helping him a very similiar style .
Lovely point at the end too .

LILLIS -8 Great composure on the ball ,He was everywhere and broke some great ball from our own kickouts .
Nice point in the first half aswell

O'CARROLL- 9 What a player when fit .
Won so much ball and was Laois's main target in there .Was unplayable at times .bit more composure and he could have kicked 10 points

Collins Munnelly o connor Healy and Connolly all did well when they came in
Especially Collins and Healy who tightened up the backs and added fresh legs at a vital time .

Overall as a fan I can't wait for the next game .

The players must feel the same

Rumours that the Kingstons could be coming back maybe Dillion too ?

If Begley and Attride are also knocking around towards the end of the league we will have a strong 30 to pick from
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Quote from: vetoldthe on February 04, 2020, 02:30:11 PM
Fair post Unlaoised,   Think you may have left out one of the starting 15.

Who ?
LAOIS ABÚ

vetoldthe

Sorry my mistake,  must be old age,

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 04, 2020, 09:19:19 AM
Rumours that the Kingstons could be coming back maybe Dillion too ?

If Begley and Attride are also knocking around towards the end of the league we will have a strong 30 to pick from

What is it with the Kingstons, why can't they either commit or not and stop this silliness. I hope i'm wrong but it seems like they wait in the wings to see how
things are working out then decide if they will play or not. Personally I think we are playing better football without a marquee player like Donie who is so good
that some of the other lads feel they can sit back a bit and he will win it for us.

Now that he's not there everyone is standing up and doing that extra bit and this is plain to be seen by anyone who has attended both games so far.
Lillis and Evan are flying, better than I have seen them in a long time so if they do come back I would be leaving them on the line for a long time, if only for the
sake of the team and the guy's who would lose out to make way for them.

Where is Begley by the way ?
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The Boy Wonder

In my opinion it is only right and proper that long-serving players like Donie can take a break and then be welcomed back into the fold without any rancour. Like everyone else these players need to devote time to their education, careers and personal lives. When Donie took a break last year I think it benefitted both himself and Laois as he came back refreshed with the batteries fully recharged.

I would agree that his absence so far this year has been a blessing in disguise as Junior says. As he is no longer the focal point of the attack we have had to adapt our tactics, other players have had to shoulder more of the load and results have been positive so far. This doesn't mean that Donie could not slot back in if and when he became available.

Giovanni

Personally, I would have the work rate and commitment of the lads we have now all day long.

If Donie, or anyone else, wants to match that work rate and commitment then of course he could be welcomed but he hasn't (and hasn't for quite a long time) so that's all there is to it. Unachieved potential will not dig out a draw for you in Roscommon against the odds.

This is not to denigrate the lad in any way. He may have different priorities and if he does it's only right that he steps away. You can't succeed at that level if you don't commit fully.

Blow-in

Begley injured.
Dillon and Kingston's x2 not coming back.

Now let's move on with what's available

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Giovanni on February 05, 2020, 11:41:32 AM
Personally, I would have the work rate and commitment of the lads we have now all day long.

If Donie, or anyone else, wants to match that work rate and commitment then of course he could be welcomed but he hasn't (and hasn't for quite a long time) so that's all there is to it. Unachieved potential will not dig out a draw for you in Roscommon against the odds.

This is not to denigrate the lad in any way. He may have different priorities and if he does it's only right that he steps away. You can't succeed at that level if you don't commit fully.

Nothing wrong with Donie's work rate last year.  If you want to go through the matches last year chap gave it all for Laois.

Giovanni

I suppose he is the only one who will know that for sure. He missed a lot of games over the last several years because he wasn't sure if he wanted to commit. He hasn't been our best performer for any of the last several years either. But that's all his business. I would much prefer if the supporters focused on the people that are definitely committing.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Batman!!! on February 05, 2020, 10:13:33 PM
Begley injured.
Dillon and Kingston's x2 not coming back.

Dillon is definitely coming back. 2-3 weeks

Now let's move on with what's available

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Giovanni on February 06, 2020, 09:01:22 AM
I suppose he is the only one who will know that for sure. He missed a lot of games over the last several years because he wasn't sure if he wanted to commit. He hasn't been our best performer for any of the last several years either. But that's all his business. I would much prefer if the supporters focused on the people that are definitely committing.
Really - what forward was better than Donie in the last several years? You are on cloud 9.

The PRO

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 06, 2020, 09:24:14 AM
Quote from: Giovanni on February 06, 2020, 09:01:22 AM
Really - what forward was better than Donie in the last several years? You are on cloud 9.
He didn't say forward. He said "best performer".
Donie is a brilliant, brilliant player but hasn't been operating at 100% fitness for years now.
The likes of Attride, JOL, Brody have all performed better over the last number of years.

Giovanni

I would add Kieran Lillis, Martin Scully, Evan O Carroll, Mark Timmons and Colm Begley to that list.

The workrate and performance level of Mark Barry last weekend was as high as we've seen from any Laois forward for a long time. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to change that.