The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: Syferus on February 14, 2018, 02:05:11 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2018, 11:37:21 PM
I've watched a bucketload of NFL this year, where decisions cannot be made easily within the rules of the game,  and now this in the rugby.

The VARs in these sports need a simple doctrine from above: in all decisions, when it's a coin toss, the favour will always go with the attacking / defending team; whichever way the doctrine is stated. VARs then cite that as their final decision when one cannot clearly be made.

That's pure nonsense. The rules should be clear and easily understood and favour neither team.In American football one of the nonsenses they have is making the refs call it in real time and that call being treated with a certain reverence (clear evidence that it should be overturned) when it really shouldn't.

The TMO whiffed on this one. It happens rarely enough in rugby that there is nothing to see here, let alone do.

The rules are clear generally. The problem is that certain decisions are so borderline that even with VAR its impossible to be 100% clear. If you dont see enough evidence to overturn in those situations why not go with the onfield officials original call. In certain situations they may have a better idea of what happened than VAR. Whats the alternative,balance of probability? Then it becomes really subjective.

magpie seanie

Cricket and NFL have it right. Unless it's a clear error by the officials then their call on the field stands. I think that's fair.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 14, 2018, 03:47:32 PM
Cricket and NFL have it right. Unless it's a clear error by the officials then their call on the field stands. I think that's fair.

Most of the time there is no call on the field in rugby.

johnneycool

Wales name a stronger team than the one that took England to the wire;

Wales (v Ireland) - L Halfpenny (Scarlets); L Williams (Saracens), S Williams, H Parkes, S Evans (all Scarlets); D Biggar (Ospreys), G Davies; R Evans, K Owens, S Lee (all Scarlets); C Hill (Dragons), AW Jones (Ospreys); A Shingler (Scarlets), J Navidi (Cardiff), R Moriarty (Gloucester). Reps: E Dee (Dragons), W Jones (Scarlets), T Francis (Exeter), B Davies, J Tipuric (both Ospreys), A Davies (Scarlets), G Anscombe (Cardiff), G North (Northampton).

I can see Ireland lose this one if Ireland don't open Wales up and score a try or two. Crash ball isn't going to work.

Syferus

Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2018, 01:41:05 PM

Wales (v Ireland) - L Halfpenny (Scarlets); L Williams (Saracens), S Williams, H Parkes, S Evans (all Scarlets); D Biggar (Ospreys), G Davies; R Evans, K Owens, S Lee (all Scarlets); C Hill (Dragons), AW Jones (Ospreys); A Shingler (Scarlets), J Navidi (Cardiff), R Moriarty (Gloucester). Reps: E Dee (Dragons), W Jones (Scarlets), T Francis (Exeter), B Davies, J Tipuric (both Ospreys), A Davies (Scarlets), G Anscombe (Cardiff), G North (Northampton).

I can see Ireland lose this one if Ireland don't open Wales up and score a try or two. Crash ball isn't going to work.

Wales are toothless.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2018, 02:09:12 PM

Wales are toothless.

That's what the Scots thought and the English were lucky the TMO was on their side. I'd say you youtube Liam Williams before you make comments about how toothless the Welsh might be.

AZOffaly

Liam Williams is a bandy legged hoor.

Syferus

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 21, 2018, 02:12:30 PM

Wales are toothless.

That's what the Scots thought and the English were lucky the TMO was on their side. I'd say you youtube Liam Williams before you make comments about how toothless the Welsh might be.

Wales didn't convert any of about ten trips into England's 22. Their best chance came off a ball that randomly hit a lad's knee and spilled over the try line.

If beating Scotland is your evidence of Wales being able to put big points on us, lord.. we could well win this one with a single try as our defence is fully capable of smothering them.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Times says Furlong and Hendo both out. Porter to start with Ryan/Toner the lock combination.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2018, 02:59:24 PM

Wales are toothless.

Wales didn't convert any of about ten trips into England's 22. Their best chance came off a ball that randomly hit a lad's knee and spilled over the try line.

If beating Scotland is your evidence of Wales being able to put big points on us, lord.. we could well win this one with a single try as our defence is fully capable of smothering them.

The absolute arrogance.

johnneycool

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 22, 2018, 12:04:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2018, 02:59:24 PM

Wales are toothless.

The absolute arrogance.

Just a tad.

Also,
    England for all their faults have a pretty mean defence and a lot of teams have camped on their 22 and ended up with nothing.

oakleaflad

Ireland team to face Wales

Ireland: Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Bundi Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best (C), Andrew Porter; James Ryan, Devin Toner; Peter O'Mahony, Dan Leavy, CJ Stander.

Reps: Sean Cronin, Jack McGrath, John Ryan, Quinn Roux, Jack Conan, Kieran Marmion, Joey Carberry, Fergus McFadden.

screenexile