New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: marty34 on January 14, 2021, 05:25:17 PM
Anybody know much about the 'push in' type keys?  Maybe all nee cars have them now...lol. 

Occasionly the Passatt won't start - seems to be a key issue as lights etc. come on.  Five mins later it works perfectly.  Not a starter issue either.

Could there be a loose connection in the key itself?

How old is the key fob?

The dealership should be able to run a diagnostic on the fob and let you know what the issue is

(The batteries can run low after a year or two, but they can also just stop working-happened me after about 7 years)

Franko

It may be more complex, but I'd replace the battery in the key fob as a start off.

When the batteries get low the car doesn't get the signal from the key to tell it that the key is the right one.

Also, when the key gets physically cold, the battery doesn't produce power as well - which you'd only notice in the winter.

If you warm the key up in your hand and it works, it's a cert to be a low batt.

thebigfella

Quote from: JimStynes on January 14, 2021, 12:42:40 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on January 14, 2021, 11:29:01 AM
Do need 4 wheel drive?  More things to go wrong.

I live in the country and drive to work on country roads that aren't gritted during the winter. I don't know if that's enough to warrant 4WD. I've a rear wheel drive car at the minute and it's a disaster.

Winter tyres..... you don't hear of the germans reversing their BMWs around in the snow or ice  ;D

armaghniac

Quote from: thebigfella on January 14, 2021, 05:51:09 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 14, 2021, 12:42:40 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on January 14, 2021, 11:29:01 AM
Do need 4 wheel drive?  More things to go wrong.

I live in the country and drive to work on country roads that aren't gritted during the winter. I don't know if that's enough to warrant 4WD. I've a rear wheel drive car at the minute and it's a disaster.

Winter tyres..... you don't hear of the germans reversing their BMWs around in the snow or ice  ;D

Even proper all season tyres. People have the wrong tyres in this country, a lot of them are more suitable for California or Andalusia.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: whitey on January 14, 2021, 05:31:55 PM
Anybody know much about the 'push in' type keys?  Maybe all nee cars have them now...lol. 

Occasionly the Passatt won't start - seems to be a key issue as lights etc. come on.  Five mins later it works perfectly.  Not a starter issue either.

How old is the key fob?

The dealership should be able to run a diagnostic on the fob and let you know what the issue is

(The batteries can run low after a year or two, but they can also just stop working-happened me after about 7 years)

Not sure Whitey, bought it privately second hand last year. 13 year old. Just as a run around. Flew through the MOT in recently...without going to a mechanic - just got 2 new tyres.

Just happens intermitently.

Wouldn't want it to happen in a tight spot some day, so would like it sorted.

JimStynes

Quote from: HiMucker on January 14, 2021, 10:55:17 AM
Quote from: giveherlong on January 13, 2021, 10:08:21 PM
What's the story now for bringing a car into the North from GB with Brexit?
Anyone recommend reputable sites for used cars over there?
Id highly recommend this crowd, Soper in Lincoln. They are a BMW outlet but are constantly flogging good trade ins at low prices. Their business model as they are a BMW outlet, is that they don't want anything thats not BMW hanging around and are happy to get it sold ASAP and a make a couple of hundred quid. You have to act quick as the cars don't hang about. I got a 2015 Honda CRV in mint condition last year, with 30k miles on it. It seemed too good to be true price and spec wise compared to what I was seeing on Autotrader and elsewhere. Asked a mate who is in the game and he said they were legit, with a top class rep. The car came online on the Monday, and I had to pay a deposit to hold it that day, as it was first come first serve. All their motors come with min 6 month MOT and 6 month warranty. I think they might be the biggest BMW outlet in the UK. Might have to wait a bit to get what your looking for from them, but if you have a few different options and your happy that you know a bit about the car your buying, comfortable to drive, model variant history etc (as some variants give more bother than others) and are happy to pull the trigger, go for it. Id have no hesitation getting a motor off them again if they had something I was looking for. Ive brought a few motors back from England, both from private and commercial. No bother with any of them, but this crowd definitely gave me the best peace of mind.

www.soperbmw.co.uk/

Any similar Audi dealers in England?

marty34

Quote from: Franko on January 14, 2021, 05:44:25 PM
It may be more complex, but I'd replace the battery in the key fob as a start off.

When the batteries get low the car doesn't get the signal from the key to tell it that the key is the right one.

Also, when the key gets physically cold, the battery doesn't produce power as well - which you'd only notice in the winter.

If you warm the key up in your hand and it works, it's a cert to be a low batt.

Ok. Thanks Franko.

marty34

Quote from: JimStynes on January 14, 2021, 09:48:16 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on January 14, 2021, 10:55:17 AM
Quote from: giveherlong on January 13, 2021, 10:08:21 PM
What's the story now for bringing a car into the North from GB with Brexit?
Anyone recommend reputable sites for used cars over there?
Id highly recommend this crowd, Soper in Lincoln. They are a BMW outlet but are constantly flogging good trade ins at low prices. Their business model as they are a BMW outlet, is that they don't want anything thats not BMW hanging around and are happy to get it sold ASAP and a make a couple of hundred quid. You have to act quick as the cars don't hang about. I got a 2015 Honda CRV in mint condition last year, with 30k miles on it. It seemed too good to be true price and spec wise compared to what I was seeing on Autotrader and elsewhere. Asked a mate who is in the game and he said they were legit, with a top class rep. The car came online on the Monday, and I had to pay a deposit to hold it that day, as it was first come first serve. All their motors come with min 6 month MOT and 6 month warranty. I think they might be the biggest BMW outlet in the UK. Might have to wait a bit to get what your looking for from them, but if you have a few different options and your happy that you know a bit about the car your buying, comfortable to drive, model variant history etc (as some variants give more bother than others) and are happy to pull the trigger, go for it. Id have no hesitation getting a motor off them again if they had something I was looking for. Ive brought a few motors back from England, both from private and commercial. No bother with any of them, but this crowd definitely gave me the best peace of mind.

www.soperbmw.co.uk/

Any similar Audi dealers in England?

Maybe they do Audis also..as trade ins?

Certainly be good to find an Audi one, but most garages in England seem decent enough with a bit of warranty and at least you could contact them if anything hsppened.

Privately, in England, it could be hit and miss, pmus you've very little comeback if it goes belly up 6 weeks down the line.

whitey

Quote from: marty34 on January 14, 2021, 09:35:56 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 14, 2021, 05:31:55 PM

How old is the key fob?

Not sure Whitey, bought it privately second hand last year. 13 year old. Just as a run around. Flew through the MOT in recently...without going to a mechanic - just got 2 new tyres.

Just happens intermitently.

Wouldn't want it to happen in a tight spot some day, so would like it sorted.

I had 2 key fobs for my car and after 7 years one just stopped working

Guy at the dealership said they sometimes just wear out

If it's a fob you carry in your pocket lint/dust can also get into them. Guy cleaned out mine and blew it with one of those air canisters but it still didn't work

He also recommended, like another poster did, not letting them get too cold

LeoMc

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 13, 2020, 10:39:08 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 13, 2020, 03:07:03 PM
there wlll be a program on quest next week where they fit electric motors into old cars, Fiat 500, porsche 363.  Electric motors have great pulling power but they will be a hard sell until there is good network of charging points.

other choice is a hybrid

Unless you're doing mostly short trips, a hybrid isn't much use apparently
Does plug in hybrid get round that issue?

screenexile

Thinking about changing the car in the summer time but just wondering if it's time for a hybrid or will I still be OK to sell a diesel car in 5 years time and then switch to hybrid/electric then?

Looking at a Volvo XC40 but it's an extra £10k to get the Hybrid so would rather leave it for a few years until it's absolutely necessary! Would a Diesel car be worth a lot less in 2026 when going to sell on?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: screenexile on February 18, 2021, 05:43:25 PM
Thinking about changing the car in the summer time but just wondering if it's time for a hybrid or will I still be OK to sell a diesel car in 5 years time and then switch to hybrid/electric then?

Looking at a Volvo XC40 but it's an extra £10k to get the Hybrid so would rather leave it for a few years until it's absolutely necessary! Would a Diesel car be worth a lot less in 2026 when going to sell on?
Probably
Go for electric if you don't do big mileage

Dougal Maguire

I'm gonna change the car in a few weeks but haven't decided what to get. I like those new Hyundai Tucson's but they're only available in petrol. I'm also going to have a look at one of the new type Ford Kugas and while I like the Seat Alteca there's very few of them about. My issue is that I don't know what the future will hold for diesel cars in 4 years time when I'm changing again. Any advice??
Careful now

snoopdog

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 24, 2021, 06:27:48 PM
I'm gonna change the car in a few weeks but haven't decided what to get. I like those new Hyundai Tucson's but they're only available in petrol. I'm also going to have a look at one of the new type Ford Kugas and while I like the Seat Alteca there's very few of them about. My issue is that I don't know what the future will hold for diesel cars in 4 years time when I'm changing again. Any advice??
It's hard to know Dougal. Would you consider a hybrid? The toyota rav 4 is a nice motor. I've driven the older Tucson and it was a much nicer motor to drive than my old santa fe. Think the rav 4 is possibly only in petrol or hybrid also though.

Dougal Maguire

Yes the RAV4 is only in petrol or hybrid. They're a bit pricey when compared with the other 2 that's the only thing
Careful now