New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 13, 2020, 03:07:03 PM
there wlll be a program on quest next week where they fit electric motors into old cars, Fiat 500, porsche 363.  Electric motors have great pulling power but they will be a hard sell until there is good network of charging points.

other choice is a hybrid

Unless you're doing mostly short trips, a hybrid isn't much use apparently

balladmaker

In the market for a car currently.  What's the general consensus on PCP vs HP?  I know pcp results in lesser monthly payments, with a balloon payment at the end or hand the car back, I had pcp previously but handed car back at end of the deal just because I wanted something different ... interested in what is other's experience with pcp deals?

TabClear

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 13, 2020, 03:07:03 PM
there wlll be a program on quest next week where they fit electric motors into old cars, Fiat 500, porsche 363.  Electric motors have great pulling power but they will be a hard sell until there is good network of charging points.

other choice is a hybrid.

I think the charging points is a less of a problem problem in Ireland compared to more urbanised countries. If you are a EV owner who has a driveway at home that allows them to install their own charger then once you get to about 200-250miles range that is more than enough for the majority of people's daily usage .  Assuming you just plug the car in at night, how often would you actually need to charge the car anywhere else?  Obviously someone in a terraced house in the city will not be able to do this but I would imagine their average journey will be significantly lower and public transport perhaps a more viable option for many.

The problem then becomes, chicken and egg. If there is not enough charging going on at public chargepoints for the reasons above, its hard to make the financial business case for the infrastructure investment as these things are not cheap. However, as you say without a reliable network people will be less inclined to buy an EV. People might not plan on using public chargers often for the reason above but they  still want to have access to it "just in case". The Government wants private companies to invest on the infrastructure. This has had some success in the UK, mainly around larger cities but I am struggling to se how that happens over here without the volume.

Denn Forever

Surely changing to electronic  ignition would make more sense, no more points.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Emmett

Usedcarsandonline.com

Does anyone have experience of using the above company?

I'm astounded by the prices which they claim to be so low because they buy repossessed cars in large volumes.

If something seems too good to be true it usually is but its worth checking out...

supersarsfields

Crazy prices.

Edit ** their webpage says as seen on love money. Checked love money and can't find anything about them. I'd stay clear unless I found out a lot more!!

Taylor

Quote from: Emmett on September 29, 2020, 11:21:11 PM
Usedcarsandonline.com

Does anyone have experience of using the above company?

I'm astounded by the prices which they claim to be so low because they buy repossessed cars in large volumes.

If something seems too good to be true it usually is but its worth checking out...

The prices look unbelievable - however the website doesnt.
Cant even filter properly for a start.

Would get some feedback from others before taking it further but let us know how you get on

square_ball

Prices are unbelievable as said. Would be interested to know if it is legit but you'd definitely be paying by credit card to protect yourself.

supersarsfields

Lack of finance and PX seems weird as well. There's very few car places that don't offer finance. Alarm bells are ringing.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: supersarsfields on September 30, 2020, 10:34:43 AM
Lack of finance and PX seems weird as well. There's very few car places that don't offer finance. Alarm bells are ringing.

You can hardly buy a car without finance these days.....they'll do everything to get you into it.

Emmett

Yeah the above comments are my sentiments exactly.

I've asked for a sales man to give me a call and I've also emailed a question.

Credit Card would be the way to go. I'm a risk taker but will definitely air on the side of caution until I've investigated a bit more.

redzone

Who buys a car at a few grand without evening seeing it never mind test driving it

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: redzone on September 30, 2020, 05:34:17 PM
Who buys a car at a few grand without evening seeing it never mind test driving it
Fastest growing car company in the UK is cazoo, apparently

WeeDonns

Quote from: redzone on September 30, 2020, 05:34:17 PM
I help sell millions of pounds worth of machinery online every week to customers, who since March have been unable to physically see/test the machinery.
Prices have went up.
I'm after a VW kombi atm, a hard thing to find locally. If I find the right thing online I'll buy it & have it shipped over.

Usedcarsandonline.com is too good to be true unfortunately. Domain registered in Hong Kong, some images on auto.ru & raccars.co.uk