Away goals - Time to go away

Started by Orangemac, August 04, 2011, 11:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Watching the Shamrock Rovers game the other night when the 1st goal went in and effectively killed the tie.

I have seen this so many times where the away goal has killed the game.

Away goals in Europe were introduced at a time where teams faced long journeys, hostile crowds and dodgy refs and were happy to get everyone behind the ball.

Times have changed (apart from the hostile crowds and dodgy refs). In a lot of the big games now the home team is more likely to sit back in the 1st leg and a 0-0 at home is seen as a decent result.

Is it time to scrap the current system and at least let away goals only count after extra time?

Bud Wiser

Sorry, thought the thread was about playing offside and scooring with wimmin when you are away.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

deiseach

Quote from: Orangemac on August 04, 2011, 11:54:33 PM
Watching the Shamrock Rovers game the other night when the 1st goal went in and effectively killed the tie.

I have seen this so many times where the away goal has killed the game.

Away goals in Europe were introduced at a time where teams faced long journeys, hostile crowds and dodgy refs and were happy to get everyone behind the ball.

Times have changed (apart from the hostile crowds and dodgy refs). In a lot of the big games now the home team is more likely to sit back in the 1st leg and a 0-0 at home is seen as a decent result.

Is it time to scrap the current system and at least let away goals only count after extra time?

No. The reason the away goals rule 'killed the tie' was because you knew Rovers wouldn't score two goals. That's an indictment of Rovers, not the away goals rule. I love it, it's the only situation in soccer where defeat can turn to victory in a moment

Edit: incidentally, before the away goals rule they decided matches that were level after 210 minutes with . . . a toss of a coin!