Laochra Gael anocht.....

Started by 5 Sams, January 24, 2008, 07:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

..ar TG4 ar leath i ndiaidh a deich.

Possibly the coolest looking guy ever to play football....Tony Hanahoe
The Aristocrat Years

Kerry Mike

Hanahoe was a great player and a great leader of the Jackeens in the 70's.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

stephenite

5 Sams

Go mo leithsceal Staisiun Crua. Bron orm :P
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

A great player alright in a great era for the Dubs

5 Sams

Good programme tonight with the legend that is Jacko.

Got me thinking...between Valentia/Cahirsiveen/Waterville...is there any other area in the country that has produced so many seriously talented footballers living so close together...OK you've got Paidi, Marc, Tomas, Darragh and Dara sa Ghaeltacht....but in this small area you have Maurice Fitz, Micko Connell, Mick Dwyer and Jacko....probably 4 of the best footballers that have ever lived :o :o
The Aristocrat Years

Frank Casey

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 14, 2008, 10:45:44 PM

Got me thinking...between Valentia/Cahirsiveen/Waterville...is there any other area in the country that has produced so many seriously talented footballers living so close together...OK you've got Paidi, Marc, Tomas, Darragh and Dara sa Ghaeltacht....but in this small area you have Maurice Fitz, Micko Connell, Mick Dwyer and Jacko....probably 4 of the best footballers that have ever lived :o :o

You forgot to mention Kerry Mike. There was also a fella called Crusher Daly. He's mentioned in Jack O'Connor's book. Now if any fella was ever well named ;)
KERRY 3:7

AZOffaly

Declan O'Sullivan is also from the same area. (Dromid and Waterville are the one parish)

Jinxy

Quote from: Frank Casey on February 14, 2008, 10:53:22 PM

You forgot to mention Kerry Mike. There was also a fella called Crusher Daly. He's mentioned in Jack O'Connor's book. Now if any fella was ever well named ;)

Was he anything to Aeroplane O'Shea.  ;D
Honestly, ye kerry lads....  ::) :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Seán Óg de Paor is tonight's Laochra Gael.

mouview

One of the great mysteries of Gaelic football is why did Hanahoe have different colour togs than his teammates back then? Could never figure it out...

the Deel Rover

Teddy Mc Carthy was on last night didn't realise he was now making Hurley's for a living, came across as a nice fella but oh how times have changed he headed away on a three week holiday before a AI semi final and still came on wouldn't happen these days.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Onlooker

Teddy McCarthy - the only player to win 2 All Ireland medals in the one year, yet the Cork footballers reckon he is not fit to be a selector on the Cork team this year.  He also played in 4 Munster Finals (including replays) in 4 weeks.  The present bunch of Cork footballers have a fair bit to go to come within a mile of his achievements.

Model Hammer

Quote from: Onlooker on March 07, 2008, 10:27:26 AM
Teddy McCarthy - the only player to win 2 All Ireland medals in the one year, yet the Cork footballers reckon he is not fit to be a selector on the Cork team this year.  He also played in 4 Munster Finals (including replays) in 4 weeks.  The present bunch of Cork footballers have a fair bit to go to come within a mile of his achievements.

Lads, can we nail this on the head? Did Denis Walsh not win 2 All Ireland medals in the same year, one as a sub? Call me pedantic, but it's no mean achievement, and I think the man deserves to have the accolade acknowledged. I'm not 100% sure though, so I'm open to correction ...

Yeah, Teddy is a legend. His high leaps were a sight to behold. Very much a dying art in Gaelic Football.