[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

For an established team relegation wouldn't be a big deal.
We on the other hand need to stay in Div1 for team confidence and longer term ambitions.
As for this game.... Often happens in the League that the team that most need a win come out on top.
On the other hand the sight of them effin rhubarb jerseys, the chance to relegate the hoors and the McStay/ McHale factor might just outdo Mayowestros' dire need of points.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on March 13, 2016, 11:55:01 PM
There will be a game between western Gaels and ballaghadereen the day before 26th march in ballagh pitch 4:30pm . It's a fundraiser for Doireann Martin a five year old girl  from frenchpark diagnosed with DIPG ,an inoperable brain tumour with no survival rate .

That's is absolutely heartbreaking.
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Quote from: muppet on March 14, 2016, 11:06:22 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 13, 2016, 11:55:01 PM
There will be a game between western Gaels and ballaghadereen the day before 26th march in ballagh pitch 4:30pm . It's a fundraiser for Doireann Martin a five year old girl  from frenchpark diagnosed with DIPG ,an inoperable brain tumour with no survival rate .

That's is absolutely heartbreaking.

It sure is, her mother is a first cousin of mine , it's just so sad .  I won't comment again on it , I just thought of mentioning the game the night before Ross v Mayo would be worth mentioning for anyone round the area.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Shrewdness

larryin89, that news puts everything else into perspective

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2016, 10:49:48 AM

The record of teams relegated from Division 1 in the same year's championship falls somewhere between abysmal and woeful for the most part.

Tyrone getting to the semi-final last year was very much an outlier and the qualifier route was very kind to them with 3 Division 3 teams (Limerick, Sligo and Tipperary) and 1 Division 2 side (Meath) before their win over a Division 1 side in Monaghan and their eventual loss to Kerry in the semi-final. How Derry fared last summer is far more typical of a relegated Division 1 side - beat Down, beaten by Donegal, beat Wexford and beaten by Galway.

The record of where the teams relegated from Division 1 in the last 7 years exited the championship is as follows

Semi-Finals - 1
Quarter finals - 3
Round 4 Qualifiers - 2
Round 3 Qualifiers - 2
Round 2 Qualifiers - 3
Round 1 Qualifiers - 3

Even considering those few teams that made decent enough progress, it does appear notable that they got a lot of games against Division 3 and Division 4 games. Overall it is possible for a team relegated from Division 1 to go on and have a good summer but the odds are fairly strong against it.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 14, 2016, 06:16:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2016, 10:49:48 AM

The record of teams relegated from Division 1 in the same year's championship falls somewhere between abysmal and woeful for the most part.

Tyrone getting to the semi-final last year was very much an outlier and the qualifier route was very kind to them with 3 Division 3 teams (Limerick, Sligo and Tipperary) and 1 Division 2 side (Meath) before their win over a Division 1 side in Monaghan and their eventual loss to Kerry in the semi-final. How Derry fared last summer is far more typical of a relegated Division 1 side - beat Down, beaten by Donegal, beat Wexford and beaten by Galway.

The record of where the teams relegated from Division 1 in the last 7 years exited the championship is as follows

Semi-Finals - 1
Quarter finals - 3
Round 4 Qualifiers - 2
Round 3 Qualifiers - 2
Round 2 Qualifiers - 3
Round 1 Qualifiers - 3

Even considering those few teams that made decent enough progress, it does appear notable that they got a lot of games against Division 3 and Division 4 games. Overall it is possible for a team relegated from Division 1 to go on and have a good summer but the odds are fairly strong against it.

Good post and I believe Mayo will be going all out in their remaining two games to avoid relegation.

Rossfan

I thought by saying an established team it would be obvious I was talking about a team who had been near the top for a while - not poor sides like Derry or Westmeath.

Shrewdness

Kevin Mc Stay is supposed to have said on local radio that Thomas Corcoran
, Donie Shine and Donie Smith have returned to training.
He mentioned about the size that Corcoran will bring to midfield.

Fuzzman

I've yet to see Roscommon this year. Besides their management team what are they doing different this year?
Are they just further ahead in preparation and putting in more effort or could they have a long summer?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 14, 2016, 08:37:34 PM
I've yet to see Roscommon this year. Besides their management team what are they doing different this year?
Are they just further ahead in preparation and putting in more effort or could they have a long summer?
All players fit.
No injured players playing.
Players have bought into the foot passing and no negative football. Very similar to what St Brigid's did when they win club AI.
Amazing to think the Ros don't have a pitch to train on, never mind play on.
Some quality players though.

giveballaghback

Great news about the Hyde, they are cutting the rushes tomorrow so all will be fine and dandy for the visit of our beloved neighbours ;D
Will Mayo be wearing the black jerseys? for this occasion they would be appropriate ;D
We had a lone piper playing Donegal onto the pitch yesterday, maybe we should get someone to play the last post for Mayo.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 14, 2016, 08:37:34 PM

They looked to be on a completely different page to Donegal yesterday in terms of freshness/energy.

They did play decent ball but to me Donegal really looked like a side who were right in the middle of heavy training whereas the Rossies were hopping off the pitch.

Ros by comparision looked a side who were bang in the middle of a crest of decent form (not surprising given the 4-25 put past Cork in Cork) but the thing is Paddy's day has passed yet and the 3rd Sunday of September is more than 6 months away.

They might make it in August this year (which would be progress) but I really don't see them as being September contenders this year.

giveballaghback

Dont mention that S word 2 hands, its not St. Patricks day yet and we have already achieved one of our 2 targets for this year ie stay in div 1, our other target is to make an all-ire quarter final by whatever route,
everything else is a bonus.

Rossfan

Aye - we'll lave September to the teams about to go over the hill the year.
Then we'll fulfill Johneen Evansheen' s prediction in 2017, 2018........
McStay said that alright Shrewdness. D Murtagh, Harney, Carty, Higgins and Keenan to come back too.