The Pony

Started by 5 Sams, December 18, 2011, 08:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

This deserves a thread of its own...

My friends in Kerry tell me Séamus Moynihan has played his last game of football. Today was his last game for Glenflesk at 38 years of age....legend...his record speaks for itself.

4 All Irelands, 9 Munster Championships, 4 National Leagues, 2 Munster Under 21 Championships, 1 Munster minor championship, 1 Raleway Cup. 3 All Stars, Player of the Year, Ireland Captain.

Outside of intercounty 4 Sigerson Cups with UCC and Tralee. 3 County Championships, 1 Club Championship and 5 East Kerry Championships.

What a player...

The Aristocrat Years

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 18, 2011, 08:17:49 PM
This deserves a thread of its own...

My friends in Kerry tell me Séamus Moynihan has played his last game of football. Today was his last game for Glenflesk at 38 years of age....legend...his record speaks for itself.

4 All Irelands, 9 Munster Championships, 4 National Leagues, 2 Munster Under 21 Championships, 1 Munster minor championship, 1 Raleway Cup. 3 All Stars, Player of the Year, Ireland Captain.

Outside of intercounty 4 Sigerson Cups with UCC and Tralee. 3 County Championships, 1 Club Championship and 5 East Kerry Championships.

What a player...

you would have to say thats some haul of accolades !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

rosnarun

probably a lot lesser kerry players surpass that but how many  contributed ass much?
im thinking ALL Ireland medals in particular . im suprized he hasn't more .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rrhf

One of my favourite players remnember watching the galway forwards afraid to go near him cost them an ai

Never beat the deeler

Absolute legend. Serous haul alright. Could play anywhere on the pitch
Hasta la victoria siempre

orangeman

Some player who gave everything for whatwver jersey he put on him.

Denn Forever

38?  I didn't think he was that old.  Was he not on the same Tralee team as Padraig Joyce?

Then again, looking at that haul of medals.  The Kerry Masters will be unstopable.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AQMP

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 19, 2011, 10:21:51 AM
38?  I didn't think he was that old.  Was he not on the same Tralee team as Padraig Joyce?

Then again, looking at that haul of medals.  The Kerry Masters will be unstopable.

According to Wiki, he was born on 22 October 1973.

Serious, serious player.  Good luck to him in retirement.

coosanglen

I'm pretty sure he won a Hogan Cup with St Brendan's Killarney, they beat St Jarlaths Tuam in the 1992 funal

BerfArmagh

5 Sams

Mar focal scoir air...

Saw this posted on the Kerry website about Seamus by a guy whose handle was mafi97...sums him up very well..

My respect for this man is boundless. So much so, that I find it hard to write anything about him without descending into hagiography, which would be to miss the essence of the man.

Just a few vignettes.

There was the day in Killarney - a minor match against Cork. By half-time this game was over, courtesy of two tall lanky "minor" midfielders, (the type that Cork seem to produce off the conveyor belt). The only thing to be decided was the final margin. These guys were not just your usual "big minors" - one may have been Fachtna Collins (but could be completely wrong on this) - they were good.

For the second-half, Seamus moved to mid-field. There was no way, we were ever going to win this game - but, for 30 minutes, Seamus got in amongst the two big guys
and just took them on. Conceding inches and pounds, he fielded, punched, tackled, blocked and, most of all, led. Basically, he saved us from a massacre. My father, who had seen them all from the '30's onwards, said that evening, "he is a good a bit of stuff as I have ever seen in a Kerry jersey".

A year or two later, again in Killarney but now as a fledgling Senior against Cork, he executed a perfect block. Nothing unusual in that for our Seamus, except that he followed up immediately with two more - both the latter blocks launched from a kneeing postion on the ground. I have never seen three blocks executed one after another. Obviously, the Press Corps assembled on the day were quite used to such heroics - not a mention the following day.

Another day in Tralee. A League game against Armagh, with brownie points at stake. Seamus was not in the line out, having been out with injury. Armagh were in assertive control in the kind of game that suited them. Mid-way through the second half, Seamus came on in the forwards - maybe in the full line. He immediately set about changing the structure of the game. He scored a point which in inspirational terms was worth about three and half points. The crowd came alive and transmitted their energy to the players, who all lifted their game by at least 20%. If I remember correctly, Marc scored a late goal. The point was that we pull off a win that simply would not have happened on the day, without Seamus' introduction.

I don't believe that when Seamus was in his prime that there was ever a year when he should not have got an All Star. But the very qualities that made Seamus Seamus, are the qualities that escape the modern journalists and commentators in their relentless pursuit of the flash and the transient.

In my time, there have been so many GREATS who have worn the Green and Gold. There have been so many that for people of my generation. our default emotional setting can only be one of gratitude.

All of these have made us so proud (and lucky) to be from the Kingdom.

Nobody has made me more proud than Seamus.

Read more: http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=4102#ixzz1h77XCaP4
The Aristocrat Years

BennyHarp

Great player! I'm convinced that we never saw the best of him as his footballing prowess was held back because the Kingdom needed a full back! It's such a shame that the County that brought us pure football took one of their greatest and restricted him to full back during a period when I believe he was untouchable! Unsurprisingly the great man never complained and is still regarded as one of the best of our generation when he should have been regarded as one of the greatest ever. Enjoy your retirement Seamus, definately one of the best!
That was never a square ball!!

Orangemac

Moynihan was some player all right. Practically kept Armagh at bay single handedly in the 2nd half of the 2000 AI semi final. Hardy buck with class.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

As a Kerry (and ex UCC man) I am biased..but there have honestly been few better defenders than the Pony in my time...a fantastic player who could mix it with the best.

Just a couple of memories to add to the aforementioned.
Circsa 2008..South Kerry v East Kerry in Killorglin..C'ship 1/4 final. John Sugrue is dominating midfield for South Kerry. He fields a 50/50 ball and Moynihan hits him a full on fair shoulder..end of game for Sugrue.
1999 Co. Final, Feale Rgs v East Kerry..Feale Rgs driving forward in 2nd half..centre back Stephen Stack (a strongly built player) steams onto a pass in midfield read to drive forward..Moynihan goes hell for leather for him and hits him..hard..neither player falls..a clash of titans, b ut Feale Rgs momentum is broken.

1990 AI minor final - Kerry struggling v Meath..Seamus surges forward and from 21 yards..slams in a peach of a goal v Meath.

200, AI semi final v Armagh..1st game...dominates McConviille..2nd game...despite conceding 1-2 from play to Oisín..dominates last 1/4 of normal time + extra time..vital factor in Kerry victory.

Proud to have shared a field with him and watched the man in action. More influential than most Kerry players of my genearation.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...