Any lucky hoor have coin on this???

Started by DirtyDozen12, July 28, 2010, 11:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Bookies left red-faced by Laois punters
28 July 2010
Bookmaking firm Paddy Power was stung for over €2,500 last weekend after GAA punters in Laois bet on a club senior hurling championship tie after the game had finished.

The Irish Examiner reports that Paddy Power had the weekend game down for a 7.30pm throw-in but the match threw in at 2pm instead. Fans watched Castletown beat Borris-in-Ossory by 3-16 to 2-11 before then backing the winners at 1/3.
Staff in Paddy Power became aware of the situation on Sunday evening because of an unusual amount of activity on the game, but agreed to pay out.

"It was a c**k-up on our behalf," Paddy Power Communications Manager Ken Robertson admitted.

"Hopefully it won't happen again."
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

mrgaa1

great piece of marketing by paddy power - I wonder how many extra bets they've taken after this episode and how many new "punters" they've signed up.  Don't worry - a bookie doesn't make a mistake

AZOffaly

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on July 28, 2010, 11:13:37 AM
Bookies left red-faced by Laois punters
28 July 2010
Bookmaking firm Paddy Power was stung for over €2,500 last weekend after GAA punters in Laois bet on a club senior hurling championship tie after the game had finished.

The Irish Examiner reports that Paddy Power had the weekend game down for a 7.30pm throw-in but the match threw in at 2pm instead. Fans watched Castletown beat Borris-in-Ossory by 3-16 to 2-11 before then backing the winners at 1/3.
Staff in Paddy Power became aware of the situation on Sunday evening because of an unusual amount of activity on the game, but agreed to pay out.

"It was a c**k-up on our behalf," Paddy Power Communications Manager Ken Robertson admitted.

"Hopefully it won't happen again."

I presume a bookie can refuse to pay out in those circumstances? That seems fairly clear cut.

eireogatron

technically a bookie can refuse to pay out under any circumstances (in the north anyway) as it is classed as a "gentlemans agreement" rather than a contract. Obviously this doesnt happen as nobody would bet with you if you didnt pay them back!

AZOffaly

Not a lot of Gentlemen in this case if they're betting on a match that's already over.

Puckoon

My da did this to me once, when RTE used to show the english league games on a saturday with a half hour delay. I of course, had now idea the games were half hour delayed.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

If they had lost more than €2500 they wouldn't have paid out, cheaper than taking an ad out for them I suppose.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Wee Shea

Ladbrokes had an Armagh SFC match a couple seasons ago down for 4pm when in actual fact it was 2pm.

The match finished a draw luckily enough for the people who noticed it and a few lumped on, and got paid out.

The match was Pearse Ogs v someone else.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Wee Shea on July 28, 2010, 06:19:17 PM
Ladbrokes had an Armagh SFC match a couple seasons ago down for 4pm when in actual fact it was 2pm.

The match finished a draw luckily enough for the people who noticed it and a few lumped on, and got paid out.

The match was Pearse Ogs v someone else.

They a South or North Armagh team  ;)

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Rav67

In the Derry Championship 1st round couple of games were brought forward half an hour but PP didn't realise.  Fellas were able to watch 1st half then lump on.

Maguire01

They only paid out €2500?
Would you not have been tempted to empty the credit card onto it?!