Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Thread is called Down Club HURLING and Football for a reason. Keep them coming Splash

manwithnoplan

Quote from: skat man on October 21, 2023, 06:32:32 PM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on October 21, 2023, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: skat man on October 21, 2023, 01:05:38 PMI like hurling as much as the next person splash . The essays you are writing not so much

Then don't read them. Plenty others on here enjoy the bit of a narrative and info.

Maybe starting a hurling topic on main page might be an idea instead of having to scroll past essays and quotes of essays

Maybe start a thread called "division 1 Down club football" if that's all you want to read about. That should save you a huge amount of time each day moving your thumb slightly to scroll past a few posts.

ardtole

I've enjoyed the hurling contributions recently. Definitely a welcome addition.

thewobbler

Quote from: ardtole on October 21, 2023, 08:47:45 PMI've enjoyed the hurling contributions recently. Definitely a welcome addition.

Me too.

I don't have much of an interest in hurling matters but these "essays" keep me kind of up to date

Splash

Quote from: skat man on October 21, 2023, 06:32:32 PM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on October 21, 2023, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: skat man on October 21, 2023, 01:05:38 PMI like hurling as much as the next person splash . The essays you are writing not so much

Then don't read them. Plenty others on here enjoy the bit of a narrative and info.

Maybe starting a hurling topic on main page might be an idea instead of having to scroll past essays and quotes of essays

Why on earth would anyone do that when there is a thread dedicated to hurling and football already?

Nobody is forcing you to read this thread.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: TakeYourGoals88 on October 21, 2023, 05:55:11 PMIs there a list of Div 3 and Div 4 Vacancies?? An Dún Abú

Check with S.Poacher2012.
He'll soon be fishing in those ponds.
Been thru most of the top two divisions now.

restorepride

Quote from: ardtole on October 21, 2023, 08:47:45 PMI've enjoyed the hurling contributions recently. Definitely a welcome addition.
As have I - very informative.  Maith thú.

Square Ball

Splash, love your posts, oh Breadah Abu.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Splash

Glad to hear that yous are all enjoying a bit of hurling discussion. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Splash on October 22, 2023, 01:32:54 AMGlad to hear that yous are all enjoying a bit of hurling discussion. 

Who's ref'ing the final today? Not uncommon for an Antrim man to step in for these games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 22, 2023, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: Splash on October 22, 2023, 01:32:54 AMGlad to hear that yous are all enjoying a bit of hurling discussion. 

Who's ref'ing the final today? Not uncommon for an Antrim man to step in for these games

Still waiting on a decision from Kilcoo.
😁

Splash

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 22, 2023, 11:31:36 AM

Kieran Rice from the Point for the Junior Final.

Peter Owens from Liatroim in the Senior Final.

Splash

Great weekend of hurling action and a great way to round out the season.

Hurling post incoming.

Scat, that may be your cue to get ready to scroll.  :o 

How's that football thread coming along by the way?

Anyroad.

Portaferry go back to back, edging out Ballycran in a hugely entertaining game. Probably the best championship game I've seen all season.

Two, great, evenly matched teams just going hammer and tongs against each other, with each one throwing everything they had at the other to try and keep them down. When it came down to it, simply was Portaferry were the better team on the day. Won the ball at key moments, and were able to deliver it to the key spots to win vital scores. 

Personally thought Ciaran Savage was great for them, today. Seemed to always know where to be in the right place at the right time.

Not much to fault Ballycran on, to be fair to them. Maybe weren't as dominant in the ruck towards the end which allowed Portaferry to win ball and clear it. But at the end of the day, could have easily gone Ballycran's way. You win some, you lose some. This was just Portaferry's day.

Conor Woods for me was the man of the match. Single handedly dragged the Crans back into it when they slipped behind. Was everywhere, and was extremely safe under the high ball. Very accurate sharp-shooter, too.

Was great to see full back, Tom Murray, come up the field and get the long-range score in the 60th minute to push the Ports out of Ballycran's reach. Wasn't supporting Portaferry. Just great to see a player in the full back line in a moment like that. Cant be letting the forwards get all the credit.  ::)

Interesting point for me was Ballycran looked like a stronger, more physical team, but Portaferry weren't troubled by this. Cushendall in the Ulster Championship will be bigger and more physical again, but will be interesting to see if Portaferry can find away around this.

Best of luck to the Ports in Ulster. Last year didn't do them justice. They're a better team than that match against Slaughtneil showed. Hope they go on a good run.

Bredagh dismantling Carryduff in the Intermediate Final was the shock of the weekend for me.

Hadn't seen Carryduff play in a while, but didn't look as comfortable as they had earlier in the year.

Bredagh simply outplayed them in every area. Bredagh were a stronger and more explosive team, and Carryduff didn't seem to be able to cope with it. Bredagh looked to be, in general, in better nick than their opposition. Playing Ballycran and Portaferry for the past couple of weeks will do that to you, I suppose.

Niall McFarland, Sean Hughes, and Conor Costello all were in good form for Bredagh. Joe Hanrahan in midfield looked like a serious hurler. Is he in the Down squad?

Conall Early was the only man for the Duff who really looked like he'd up to hurling at an inter-county level at the minute. Granted, though, a lot of players, especially the forwards, found it hard to get on the ball, so it's probably not fair to say that.

Had to feel for Carryduff. They never really got going. Judging off the rest of their performances, I'm sure they're a better team than that showed. Be interesting to see how they cope in the Senior Championship.

The scary thing about Bredagh is they looked like they still had a lot in the tank. Have rumours of their demise been greatly exaggerated? They looked like they still had another level in them. Some of the subs they brought on had serious skill, too.

Best of luck to Bredagh in Ulster. If they play like they did last night they'll go on a good run.

The future looks bright on the Ravenhill Road.

Not a heap to be said on the Junior Final.

Kilclief were simply a better team.

East Belfast were competitive in the first half. Couple good goals kept the game close. But Kilclief always looked comfortable enough.

9 points is a comfortable win, but if I was East Belfast, I wouldn't be too disheartened by it. It's definitely not a thumping. The resilience of East Belfast GAA is well documented. Not bad going to reach a county final after such a short period of existence. 

Kilclief had some good players on show today. Stefan McGrattan in particular. Fintan Conway would be what age now? Still winning county titles, anyway. Fair play to him. 

East Belfast some good players, too. Brendan McGarry got them out of trouble a few times. Joe McClemments solid in nets.

Be interesting to see where the teams go from here. Playing in Div 1 has clearly been a benefit to kilclief, and they looked like they could be competitive in the Intermediate next year considering Bredagh and Carryduff will be in Senior, but hear a  couple lads are heading Down Under? Will this fracture the Strangford men or can they adapt?

East Belfast manager said in interview most of the team is the wrong side of 30. Obviously they don't have the underage structures to draw from yet- be interesting to see how they deal with this. Reaching a county final probably makes them a more attractive club for people looking to join a team in Belfast. They've shown they can stand their own ground at this level.

Best of luck to kilclief on their ulster campaign. Judging from today, they have the quality to go on a good Ulster run.

The Ireland game was good viewing, too. Far better quality game than I was anticipating. That shinty looks like it would be some craic. Very well run, very well handled, and great to see Ireland get the win. Who needs the Rugby World Cup when we beat Scotland in the International Rules?  ;)

Was great to have it held in Newry. Really added a bit of buzz to our hurling finals weekend. Fair play to everyone involved.

Great to see a couple lads from bigger hurling counties in Newry. They brought a good crowd with them, too. Peter Duggan and Tom Monaghan were unreal in particular.

Begs the question, when Down eventually get back to Division One, what are we going to do when we come up against a team full of players of that quality?

We'll cross that bridge when we win the Joe McDonagh, sure.  :-X

All in all, an absolute great weekend of hurling. County Board handled it very well, which was great to see after the whole football fiasco last week.

Hope a few followers of the big ball got a chance to catch some of the games when they were being held half-local. Particularly that Senior Championship final. Don't know how you couldn't enjoy hurling after watching a game as epic as that one.

A great couple days for Down Hurling.

Best of luck now to all our Champions in Ulster and the All Ireland series. You'll do us proud, no doubt.

Looking forward to the break now until the leagues start back up and we go with our armchair hurling commentary again.

Hope that yous have enjoyed the hurling discussions on the thread this season, and glad to hear that some people who maybe didn't have the biggest insight as to what was going on in the hurling world have found the discussions somewhat informative.

Down Hurling is going in the right direction. Let's be behind it every step of the way.

An Dún abú. ⬛️🟥

County Star

Div 4 managers

Ardglass - Kyran Smyth
Aghaderg - advertising
Bright - Miceal McCartan
Dromara - John Fegan
Drumaness - Paddy Morgan
Dundrum - Ronan McCartan
East Belfast - advertising
Kilclief - Shane Curran
Glasdrumman - advertising
St Michael's - Laurence McAlinden
St Paul's - Paddy Hannigan
Teconnaught - Cillian Laverty

Johnnysboys

Hurling final described as epic.. my god.. it was far far far from epic. Watch a Tipperary/Waterford/Clare hurling match and you will see epic. It was a decent game for our county standard but wouldn't cut it in a real hurling field.

On another note let's hope the hurling 6 page reports end now and then quoted and another 2 pages added to it.