Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2008, 01:41:07 PM
I would hardly say United were afraid to attack, Chelsea gained the edge in the second half simple as that. 

Minder - I would love United to go unbeaten through a season, but if you win the league without doing so it doesn't make a difference.

I think it does, its just United fans are always obsessed with "lists"......"Best supported", "Biggest club" "best premiership season", until a team equals Arsenals unbeaten season there can never be a comparison.....
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nrico2006

I didn't know that on the roll of honour (League Titles, FA Cups, Eurpean Cups etc) that there was one for going through a season unbeaten.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2008, 02:00:49 PM
I didn't know that on the roll of honour (League Titles, FA Cups, Eurpean Cups etc) that there was one for going through a season unbeaten.

Where did i say Roll Of Honour? On another point is Tony Baloney in work today or a course again?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Uladh

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 22, 2008, 12:52:27 PM
QuoteWhat a header last night. it essetially won the CL for United.
What a strange thing to say, maybe it's just me but I think Terry's penalty miss was a little bit more important.

And would there have been penalties without CR's goal?

Quote from: ONeill on May 22, 2008, 12:41:11 AM
Go celebrate somewhere and stop letting me wind you up.

Ok.  :P

nrico2006

QuoteI think it does, its just United fans are always obsessed with "lists"......"

In what way is a 'Roll of Honour' not a list?

I take it he is out today again, where is he away?  He has the life of it, nearly as much as you! 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Wenger Claims Diarra Panicked

Arsene Wenger believes Lassana Diarra "panicked" when he left Arsenal to join Portsmouth in January, and the Gunners boss has defended his own decision not to strengthen the squad during the transfer window.

The 23-year-old had only been at Emirates Stadium since August following his switch from Chelsea where the midfielder had become frustrated at a perceived lack of first-team opportunities.

However, after 13 appearances for the Gunners, he decided another move was necessary to push his claim for a place in the France squad at Euro 2008 and secured a transfer to Portsmouth, where he would go on to win the FA Cup final at Wembley.

Wenger, though, is in no doubt had the young midfielder shown more "patience", the opportunities would have come his way with the Gunners, especially following the departure of Mathieu Flamini to AC Milan.

"I came to the conclusion that Diarra could not cope with the fact that he was behind the other players here in midfield," said the Gunners boss.

"I thought the best option was to let him go because I already had Denilson, [Abou] Diaby and Gilberto all trying to get into the team as well. It was a congestion."

Wenger told the June edition of the official Arsenal magazine: "I bought Diarra in the summer because I thought Flamini might leave at the end of the season and if he was able to be patient, he would get his chance.

"It turned out he wasn't capable of that. With Euro 2008 in mind, he panicked.

"I did explain when he joined that he might have to be patient, and he acknowledged it, but he couldn't cope with the situation, and also did not want to go on loan anywhere either."

Wenger insisted his decision not to bolster the squad during January was a sound one, given the position his team were then in, standing two points clear of Manchester United at the top of the Premier League after the final matches of 2007.

However, the Arsenal manager could not envisage the way the season would quickly unravel following injury to key men Eduardo da Silva, Tomas Rosicky and Robin van Persie while main marksman Emmanuel Adebayor suddenly hit a goal drought.

"The transfer window was open, but at the time I didn't feel we were in need of any more players," reflected Wenger, whose young squad would eventually finish third and exit the Champions League in the quarter-finals to Liverpool.

"We had [Theo] Walcott and [Nicklas] Bendtner making big strides forward, and Eduardo was on form then and Adebayor on top form too. Overall when he is on fire, he scores in every game.

"I thought van Persie would be back shortly, and also did not expect to lose Rosicky for so long either."

Wenger maintained: "You have to keep the balance right between having competition in the squad, and having too many players. The squad did not look light at any time."

Just what shape Arsenal will be in for the start of next season remains to be seen.

With Flamini already gone, speculation continues that winger Alexander Hleb will soon follow him out of Emirates Stadium, with Real Madrid and Inter said to be leading the chase.

Meanwhile, reports in Italy claim Roma are ready to move for veteran Brazilian Gilberto, who saw his impact limited last season and is entering the final 12 months of his existing deal.

His compatriot Robinho, at Real Madrid, could be one potential target for Wenger, who is awaiting an answer on the club's move for Samir Nasri as the Marseille playmaker weighs up his options while Cameroon international midfielder Jean II Makoun is said to be ready to quit Lille for the chance to play in England, with the Emirates Stadium his preferred destination.

Arsenal, though, look set to continue to invest in youth.

A deal for France Under-17 international Francis Coquelin is expected to be concluded before the European Championships, while Cardiff's highly-rated teenager Aaron Ramsey is said to be another on Wenger's radar.

Yahoo.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I hear Flamini has been dropped from the France panel for the Euros......

hitzelsperger

glad he was, he'll get very little football at AC cos they have a pile of defensive midfielders! only reason he went was cos arsenal only offered 55grand a week and he'll probably get 75 in italy for sitting on the bench...greedy cnut!!

ExiledGael

Clichy not selected either, is that not quite a surprise. Would put Evra ahead of him, but it's close and surely Clichy has been a better performer than Abidal.
Trezeguet another casualty.

Dinny Breen

QuoteClichy not selected either

Didn't even make the provisional 30, close call but he'd be fairly inexperienced at international level.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Happy to see Clichy not making it. Badly needed a rest. Also happy to see Flamini dropped. Don't know why as I still have some affection for Cole who left in even more greedy circumstances. Maybe because he was only there since '04.

Dinny Breen

QuoteDon't know why as I still have some affection for Cole who left in even more greedy circumstances

Shocked, Cashley is the epitomy of the greedy premiership footballer and while I am never wishing him harm I do find myself bitterly disappointed anytime I see him in a Chelsea shirt.

Agree about Clichy and I think Flamini will realise soon enough what a mistake it was to leave.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

I just can't forget Cole's 7 years at Arsenal though - 2 titles, 3 cups - and he was a key player who gave his all for the cause.

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on May 28, 2008, 10:24:30 PM
I just can't forget Cole's 7 years at Arsenal though - 2 titles, 3 cups - and he was a key player who gave his all for the cause.

Ill go one step further and say he was my favourite. He always gave it everything.

For some reason I hate what he did,in a completely irrational way.

Norf Tyrone

I still can't believe what Cole said in his book. If he had of said it in an interview off the cuff I'd of understood, but surely an advisor or his agent or someone would've said, Ashley you might want to re-evaluate that bit! Did he not realise how it would look?

The only thing in his favour is that at least he gives it 100% on the pitch, and wants to earn his money.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone