Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

Off to London on Saturday and touched for 2 tickets for the Arsenal Newcastle game ... arm and a leg by the way..

1. Anyone suggest a good place for a pint b4hand..

2. Is it a silly idea to try and get a tube just after the game? or how should I try and get back to the centre of London...

Much obliged

ONeill

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 23, 2008, 03:26:17 PM
Off to London on Saturday and touched for 2 tickets for the Arsenal Newcastle game ... arm and a leg by the way..

2. Is it a silly idea to try and get a tube just after the game? or how should I try and get back to the centre of London...

Much obliged

There are a number of decent pubs around the area, The Tavern and The Gooner in order of preference. Just ask around, you'll be directed. Do not attempt to go into any of the Irish bars around Finsbury Park. The tube is worse on CL nights as no-one will be hanging around. You should be Ok for this game and during the match there'll be updates if any problems arise. It all depends on what time you need to be in the city for.

Disappointed to hear you paid over-the-odds for tickets. You should've PMed me.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hurler on the Bitch

Thanks for that .. will in future as I feel the crack on Saturday will be 90... ps - Irish pubs in Finsbury Park.... dodgy or too packed..

ONeill

Dodgy. One was owned by a woman from Omagh. She told us not too stay too long as she'd had a few problems with stabbings and muggings. The good thing about it though is that she will start serving at 7am if you knock on the window. I always hit the Tavern though it's a wee walk from the Arsenal tube station. You have to pass Highbury though - a sad sight. Make sure you walk up Avenell Road to see the old entrance to Highbury - it's still maintained.

ONeill

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2008, 06:25:14 PM
Dodgy. One was owned by a woman from Omagh. She told us not too stay too long as she'd had a few problems with stabbings and muggings. The good thing about it though is that she will start serving at 7am if you knock on the window. I always hit the Tavern though it's a wee walk from the Arsenal tube station. You have to pass Highbury though - a sad sight. Make sure you walk up Avenell Road to see the old entrance to Highbury - it's still maintained.

Yeh i was in the gooner and the tavern the last time i was over...Prefered the Gooner's there was a lot of Irish in there....Tube was ok as well even tho there was a muslim rally in central London that day...We were going straight back to the airport.....I swear if that guy beside me has have went anywhere his backpack he was getting it.....
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Hurler on the Bitch

O'Neill - last time I was at Highbury was the day before the last ever game at Highbury.. I was in the area and took a wander down. Crikey! There were thousands around the place.. All were getting a special tee-shirt from backs of lorries .. it was like a military operation... Still, I have been a Gunner since 1977.. and cried with Chippy when Ipswich beat us etc ... but what joy - 12.05.79!  looking forward to the game ... with the Missus so the beer will be a couple of swift ones before the match... will the tubeline be okay - say at 1.00 from central London?

hitzelsperger

heading on tuesday the the newcastle league game, first time at the emirates, miss highbury bigtime!

ONeill

Leaving at one for the three kick-off will be no problem, provided Tube is running normally.

As for yesterday's game, disillusioned big time with Diaby and Walcott. Diaby seems to be chronically one-footed and wastes so much possession. Lacks any creativity and seems to be dining out on the odd long-range strike. Walcott simply doesn't have the footballing brain of the foreigners. I think AW will shortly lose patience with him.

For Newc (league game and rest of season) I'd like to see

Sagna - Senderos - Gallas - Clichy
Hleb - Fabregas - Flamini - Rosicky
Eduardo - Adebayor

When the Africans return, Toure in for Phillipe.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2008, 09:22:02 PM
Leaving at one for the three kick-off will be no problem, provided Tube is running normally.

As for yesterday's game, disillusioned big time with Diaby and Walcott. Diaby seems to be chronically one-footed and wastes so much possession. Lacks any creativity and seems to be dining out on the odd long-range strike. Walcott simply doesn't have the footballing brain of the foreigners. I think AW will shortly lose patience with him.

For Newc (league game and rest of season) I'd like to see

Sagna - Senderos - Gallas - Clichy
Hleb - Fabregas - Flamini - Rosicky
Eduardo - Adebayor

When the Africans return, Toure in for Phillipe.

RVP will push hard for a place when he returns also....

ONeill

Yes, forgot about him - he's been out so long. Some say Hleb is more effective in a central area but I cannot see AW moving Flamini onto the wing. He seems to be an Eboue fan though  - I just hope he doesn't resort back to a 4-5-1.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2008, 09:35:43 PM
Yes, forgot about him - he's been out so long. Some say Hleb is more effective in a central area but I cannot see AW moving Flamini onto the wing. He seems to be an Eboue fan though  - I just hope he doesn't resort back to a 4-5-1.

Yeh I hope he keep's Flamini where he is...You shouldn't mess with something that isn't wrong.. The guy has been a revelation this season.I love his attitude, he always gets stuck it where it hurts...Eboue plays well with Sagna as he can drop back too and let Sagna attack but hes not in the same class as Hleb or Rosicky...

Pietas

I wouldn't normally comment on an arsenal thread, but I have to say the attitude of the team, manager and supporters (the ones I have listened to today, anyway) is a complete and utter disgrace.

Arsenal finished with about nine 1st choice players on the pitch, but all we've heard about is their 'youth team' or their 'under-16s.'

Arsenal were well beaten and took to fighting amongst themselves.

The Arsenal end of the ground was empty long before the end of the match and the manager's post match comments reflected very poorly on him. Ferguson, bad and all as he is, would not have done it.

Shame on arsenal. 
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Pietas

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 23, 2008, 03:26:17 PM

Much obliged

last time i was theryre was at highbury.

the woodbine is a nice pub and a tube back into town shouldnt be too much bother
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

ONeill

Yes, the Eboue-Sagna partnership seems to reap dividends mostly and Eboue isn't afraid to whack in a cross for Adebayor. It's a tough call for the run-in.

Rosicky/Fabregas/Hleb are attack minded whereas Eboue/Flamini are defence first. If he gives Adebayor and Eduardo a run together I can see Rosicky losing out.

Although, when Arsenal were flying earlier in the season he was going with

Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy
Eboue  Fabregas, Flamini, Hleb,
Rosicky 
Adebayor