Previous topic - Next topic

mooncatiii

Quote from: new devil on July 01, 2007, 12:10:31 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 29, 2007, 07:50:19 PM
Quote from: Uladh on June 29, 2007, 07:03:10 PM

Its the same actually.

and he's not bought.... yet

Maybe not but Ferdinand is still a Donkey :D

Is that why he was on the team of the year ???  ::)

so was evra, speaks volumes about the reliability of that system! carragher is twice the player ferdinand is
shazam

Goats Do Shave

The Real Laoislad

€130,000-a-week, but Torres taking pay cut

FERNANDO TORRES may be on the verge of becoming the most expensive signing in Liverpool's history, but the Spain striker will take a pay cut to hasten his move to Anfield.

Torres has also indicated that he is prepared to cut short his holiday to sign for Liverpool this week, but, failing that, the Atletico Madrid forward will fly to Merseyside to sign what is expected to be a five-year contract worth about £90,000-a-week (€130,000 approx) when he returns from the Polynesian Islands in seven days' time.

Although the deal will put him among the club's best-paid earners, alongside Xabi Alonso and Jamie Carragher, it is still less than the annual €8million (about £5.4million) he presently earns with Atletico and some way short of the reputed £120,000-a-week salary of Steven Gerrard, Liverpool's highest-paid player.

Liverpool have agreed a deal in principle with Atletico, although it is thought to be significantly less than the £27million release clause stated in the player's contract.

The precise details of the deal are unclear, but it is thought that Liverpool will pay between €26-30million, with Luis Garcia, who is valued at about £4million, moving the other way.

The Torres transfer will not collapse if Garcia rejects a return to his former club, while Atletico have agreed a deal with Villarreal to sign former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan in a deal worth around €21m. The Madrid club may also swoop for Argentine midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme who helped Boca Juniors to the Copa Libertadores title while on loan from Villarreal.

Whatever the eventual cost of the Torres move to Liverpool, it will still comfortably eclipse the £14.2million that the Reds paid for Djibril Cisse, who is expected to complete his move to Marseilles early this week after the deal was held up over the weekend in the wake of late intervention from West Ham United.

Liverpool would still like more than the £6.1million fee that has been agreed with Marseilles, but Cisse, who spent last season on loan at the French club, has indicated that he wants to join only a team that can offer him Champions League football, despite initial suggestions that he favoured a return to England.

Hopeful

"We're hopeful that the deal will be concluded this week," Ranko Stojic, the player's agent, said. "I'll be talking to Liverpool again, but Djibril wants to return to Marseilles and play Champions League football next season."

Aside from Torres, Benitez is said to be confident of making another significant signing - possibly a winger - within the next week, although the identity of that person is unclear.

Benitez also wants to force through a deal for Gabriel Heinze, although the Argentina defender is thought to favour a move to Spain, while Manchester United are reluctant to sell him to their rivals. Heinze's future is unlikely to be decided until he returns from the Copa America, in Venezuela, in a little more than a fortnight.

Amid the clamour for star signings, Benitez's desire to follow the path trodden by Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, and acquire the Continent's best young players before they become established has gone largely unnoticed. Dani Pacheco became the eighth such youngster to agree to join Liverpool when the 16-year-old forward completed his move from Barcelona over the weekend.

Barcelona were reluctant to lose Pacheco, but after the relegation of their B team last season, which brought about the removal of the C team, the Catalan giants, who had already lost under similar circumstances Cesc Fabregas and Gerard Pique, now at Arsenal and Manchester United respectively, are fearful that more young players could follow suit. Liverpool will pay Barcelona about £350,000 in compensation for Pacheco, who has been likened to Romario.

Joining Pacheco at Anfield are Lucas Leiva, Alex Kacaniklic, Nikolay Mihaylov, Krisztian Nemeth, Andras Simon, Marvin Purie and Mikel San Jose, players Benitez hope will make Liverpool a force for years to come. (© The Times, London)

You'll Never Walk Alone.

supersarsfields

well what do you reckon about this Heinz swoop. I reckon he's a solid defender and despite a poor enough season last year I'd be happy enough with him at LB. I would imagine that by doing that he would push Riise up to the left wing and give him a greater chance to get forward. My only worry is that heinz looked to have lost a bit of speed last year. whether or not this was due to the WC is another matter. In the papers the day it says that he might buy out the rest of his contract at MU to allow for the move as MU are reluctant to sell him to Liverpool.
But there's talk of £4-6M. What age is he anyway?

Mentalman

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 03, 2007, 12:26:38 PM
well what do you reckon about this Heinz swoop. I reckon he's a solid defender and despite a poor enough season last year I'd be happy enough with him at LB. I would imagine that by doing that he would push Riise up to the left wing and give him a greater chance to get forward. My only worry is that heinz looked to have lost a bit of speed last year. whether or not this was due to the WC is another matter. In the papers the day it says that he might buy out the rest of his contract at MU to allow for the move as MU are reluctant to sell him to Liverpool.
But there's talk of £4-6M. What age is he anyway?

Thought he was quality when Utd. first went in for him. Then when he played in the Copa America rather than report for pre-season that first year I actually thought he wouldn't last gig time with Lexo. Seemed to have an indifferent season last year, then again I could just be judging him on his performance against Milan, he won't be facing Kaka every week in the premiership, plus has played well against him in any event for Argentina. Can cover centre half too. Hope the plan isn't really to push Riise forward, game lad, great shot, but I don't even think he'sa good full back, never mind a left midfielder/winger. Can't see this happening anyway, Utd. to Liverpool or vice versa, just doesn't happen? He's 29 I think.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Fr Ted

Garcia gone for £4 mil.

Annoying as hell sometimes, but he scored some cracking goals.

Does anyone know what is happening with Gondzales, i thought he was away after the CL final to real betis, but i think he is still a liverpool player at the minute.

Torres to sign tomorrow if he passes medical today

GalwayBayBoy

Fernando Torres has passed his medical according to reports in Spain.

Signing for 6 seasons.

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156273070703-1828.htm

QuoteLiverpool Football Club has announced that Spanish striker Fernando Torres passed a medical on Tuesday and will complete his move to Anfield on Wednesday.
The 23-year-old is expected to make the deal official on Wednesday afternoon before being unveiled to the media.

A club spokesman said: "The player has passed a medical. All the agreements are now in place and he will put pen to paper on the deal on Wednesday."

The striker has spent the previous 12 years at Atletico Madrid, the club he supported as a boy. The Spanish giants snapped him up at the age of 11 after he netted 55 goals in his first season at amateur side Rayo 13.

Three years after his arrival, Torres was named the best under-14 player in Europe following his performances in the Nike Cup. He signed his first professional contract in 1999 but had to wait until May 27, 2001 to make his debut against Leganes.

Still, at 17 years and 68 days, he was Atletico's youngest ever player. Within a week, he'd scored his first goal in a match against Albacete.

The 2001-02 season saw him net six times in 36 league appearances, helping his side win promotion to La Liga.

Meanwhile, he was still making waves on the international scene.

Torres was top scorer and player of the tournament in the 2001 European Under-16 Championships and 2002 European Under-19 Championships, both of which Spain won.

The frontman bagged 13 goals during his first season in the Spanish top flight, earning him a first under-21 cap for his country.

The 2003-04 campaign proved to be a momentous one for Torres. Not only did he score 19 goals in 35 league appearances, but he was also handed the club captaincy. At 19, he was the youngest skipper in Atletico's long and illustrious history.

On top of all this, the youngster was also called up into the senior Spain squad, making his full debut in a friendly with Portugal on September 6, 2003. The following April he scored his first international goal against Italy. He was then part of the Spain squad which traveled to Euro 2004 in Holland and Belgium.

Torres got his first and only taste of European competition when Atletico entered the Intertoto Cup prior to the 2004-05 campaign. He scored twice in five games but tasted defeat in the final at the hands of Villarreal.

The player nicknamed El Nino (The Kid) because of his youthful appearance was selected for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where he scored three goals.

In May 2007 Torres hit the headlines when he revealed the words 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on the inside of his captain's armband during a match against Real Sociedad.

If he completes his move to Anfield as expected on Wednesday, he'll leave Atletico with a record of 82 goals in 214 league appearances.

upthedubs

Quotehe'll leave Atletico with a record of 82 goals in 214 league appearances.

hardly the mark of a top class striker and certainly not a 27million pound striker.
he's a good player but liverpool have over paid in a big way and i'd imagine atletico can't believe their luck.

girt_giggler

Gonzalez is still a Liverpool player. not sure if this means Rafa has changed his mind or any possible transfer is on hold until after Copa America.

still think we need a good wide player, all talk of Malouda (chelsea) & in particular Simao have ceased.

Can see Kewell being a regular in the side this season coming, one final chance to prove himself.  Seems to finally be over all his problems from past couple of years, and he's fantastic to watch if in any sort of form.  

Balboa

Quote from: girt_giggler on July 04, 2007, 10:47:25 AM
Gonzalez is still a Liverpool player. not sure if this means Rafa has changed his mind or any possible transfer is on hold until after Copa America.

still think we need a good wide player, all talk of Malouda (chelsea) & in particular Simao have ceased.

Can see Kewell being a regular in the side this season coming, one final chance to prove himself.  Seems to finally be over all his problems from past couple of years, and he's fantastic to watch if in any sort of form.  

How many chances does Kewell need? He is a bluffer, even when there was talk of him playing well a couple of yrs ago it was all relative, he was performing better than he had been at the start, so what. We need someone hungry to prove themselves, unfortunately Kewell is one of those players that has made his fortune & does not give a s*it anymore......

Fr Ted

Don't know much about Torres but based on that info he has a knack of scoring goals at every level, which surley has to be a good sign, but 1 decent signing won't turn us into a title challanging team, lets hope a few more will follow before the start of the season, i suspect bellamy will get the road now.

Balboa

Quote from: upthedubs on July 04, 2007, 10:41:36 AM
Quotehe'll leave Atletico with a record of 82 goals in 214 league appearances.

hardly the mark of a top class striker and certainly not a 27million pound striker.
he's a good player but liverpool have over paid in a big way and i'd imagine atletico can't believe their luck.

How do you know they have overpaid? We will not know for a year or two. He was expensive because he is a proven goalscorer and is young, the reason Henry only went for 16 mill is because he is 30.

upthedubs

QuoteHow do you know they have overpaid? We will not know for a year or two

because they paid 27 million for a striker who is not a prolific goal scorer and they could have gotten him (or someone of similar ability) for less money.hence they overpaid.
i accept that he may well end up scoring 30 goals a season for the next 8 years but that does not change the fact that if they had negotiated better they could have got him for less money.they are paying for the big name and potential rather than current ability or past performance.

Balboa

Quote from: upthedubs on July 04, 2007, 11:26:33 AM
QuoteHow do you know they have overpaid? We will not know for a year or two

because they paid 27 million for a striker who is not a prolific goal scorer and they could have gotten him (or someone of similar ability) for less money.hence they overpaid.
i accept that he may well end up scoring 30 goals a season for the next 8 years but that does not change the fact that if they had negotiated better they could have got him for less money.they are paying for the big name and potential rather than current ability or past performance.

With all due respect what makes you an authority on negotiating for international footballers? How could they have got him for less than £27 million? Who could they have got of similar ability for less money?