Top 10 forwards of past 40 years - a Board poll - Open until 21st April 2017

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 15, 2017, 05:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

I don't doubt that you are unable to do that. Fair play to you for admitting it.

JoG2

Peter Canavan
Paddy Bradley
Michael Murphy
Maurice Fitzgerald
Colm Cooper
Larry Tompkins
Stevie O'Neill
Micky Linden
Frank McGuigan
Ciaran McDonald

redhandefender

Quote from: The Stallion on April 21, 2017, 11:10:17 AM
I don't doubt that you are unable to do that. Fair play to you for admitting it.

And fair play to you for admitting it too

AZOffaly

Connor Matt
Fitzgerald Maurice
Canavan Peter
Egan John
Cooper Colm
Linden Mickey
Connolly Diarmuid
Giles Trevor
McGuigan Brian
O'Neill Stephen

I found this very hard to do. Top 5 I was fairly happy with, but from 8-10 especially was a nightmare. Stevie from Killeavy versus Stephen O'Neill was a brutal decision, as was Brian McGuigan versus Ciaran McDonald. Jimmy Keavney not being in there was hard to square away too. Sean Cavanagh I took the cowards way out, as I always think of him more as a driving midfielder than a pure forward.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

redhandefender

Quote from: The Stallion on April 21, 2017, 11:24:02 AM
I didn't. Apology accepted in advance.

In an effort to build bridges and because its Friday I do apologise. My top 5 would be Paddy Bradley, Enda Gormley, Downey, Muldoon and Big Jeffrey!

tintin25

Peter Canavan
Micky Linden
Sean Cavanagh
Colm Cooper
Maurice Fitzgerald
Bernard Brogan
Oisin McConville
Stephen O'Neill
Trevor Giles
Michael Murphy

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Has Brian Dooher even been mentioned. The most effective no 10 in Ireland in the last 20 years.  Incredible workrate and scored some of the best points seen in Croke Park.  double all ireland captain to boot.
Lots of chatty light stuff going on there men but ye know fcuk all about football!

AZOffaly

Brian Dooher was mentioned I thought? He'd not be in my list, but that's hardly a terrible state of affairs, there's been a lot of excellent forwards. I'd have him in my team every day and twice on Sundays. A rich man's Donnacha Walsh.

5 Sams

Maurice Fitzgerald
Mickey Linden
Peter Canavan
Colm Cooper
Bernard Flynn
Kieran McDonald
Matt Connor
Mikey Sheehy
Frank McGuigan
Bernard Brogan
The Aristocrat Years

rrhf

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2017, 01:37:55 PM
Brian Dooher was mentioned I thought? He'd not be in my list, but that's hardly a terrible state of affairs, there's been a lot of excellent forwards. I'd have him in my team every day and twice on Sundays. A rich man's Donnacha Walsh.
Ok sorry should have read back then!

rrhf

What I seen and heard and in no particular order and not just marquee forwards:
Matt Connor
Maurice Fitzgerald
Peter Canavan
Pat Spillane
Brian Dooher
Colm Cooper
Mikey Sheehy
Mickey Linden
Frank Mc Guigan
James Mc Cartan
Diarmuid Connolly
inseparable greats of the game.

This excludes possibly unfairly Declan Browne, Michael Murphy, Greg Blaney and Brian Mc Guigan, Paul Flynn, Larry Tompkins, Brian Stafford, Stevie O Neill and Brogan, Oisin Mc Conville, Stevie Mc Donnell, Paddy Bradley, Colin Corkery, Declan O Sullivan, Johnny Doyle, Nudie Hughes, Eugene Mc Kenna, Graeme Geraghty, Keiran Mc Donald, Conor Mc Manus, Adrian Cush, Eoin Mulligan, Frankie and Dessie Dolan, and Bill Sex for the name.

If you think about it many of the great talents were and are incomparable.  They were not robots they learned their own skills and not to a system, we are very lucky in the GAA to have had dozens of Messis and Ronaldos, not just 2.  The sad thing is maybe the development squads are systemising and leveliing off the skill sets. 
Where some miss the point is that we are often protecting the system and not the talent.  We are equalising the field.  My county as guilty as any. There is flair out on those pitches but theres little room for non conformists.  Go compare the excitement of club football to county football, there is none.  Many of these guys were unpredictable enigmatic but their skills practiced on their doorstep, the battered garage doors and their chipped walls, and treeless gardens were their "development squad" and they went on to illuminate the football fields of Ireland in their many unorthodox ways.  The flawed Genius, the incomplete careers, the nasty streak and the wasted opportunities amid moments of pure gold are inseperable from these men. Whilst the debates continue take the IPAD off the kids but put them into the back gardens and give them a wall for their 2 feet and fists and lets grow these games again as we want them.