Laois Senior Hurlers 2024

Started by mcwregor, November 26, 2023, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Yes, great to get the win. Offaly hadn't a particularly strong team out, but I suppose our lads were down a few, too. Strange not to have a free-taker in the forwards, all the same. Did Rowland top-score for us? The attack only seemed to spark when Willie Dunphy came on in the second half, and Aaron Dunphy got a few nice scores. Duggan did OK, and like the work-rate of Martin Phelan - as always. He scored a couple of nice points, too. Good to see Lennon back, and Cleere, although he seemed quite a bit off the pace. Didn't mind Lynch at CB. However, it wasn't exactly a marvellous game - plenty of slipping in the drizzly conditions. Good crowd, though. Probably more than will be at some of the Div. 2 games.

Laois man

Good win. Offaly finished with 10 of the team that started in the Joe mcdonagh final. A few of the younger lads were good.

redsetanta

Lets hope the lads get going early this year. They got better as the season progressed last year but left games behind them from winning positions before a great win away to Kerry.

I know you can't read too much into a game this early in the year but a great start.

We are more than capable of wining the McDonagh cup.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Spiritof1915

You have to be happy with the effort and the application within the squad after the offaly game. Work rate was excellent for a walsh game in January. The trick is to keep that going in Division 2 games where laois will be overwhelming favourites for most games.

I was talking to an offaly man who tells me there is genuine concern that for all the young, nippy talented hurlers coming through a lot of them are small in statute. Maybe lacking the physical
Presence to make it at the top level of inter County hurling.
In fairness that was evident on Thursday evening. Laois boys were towering over a lot of the offaly players. Mark dowlings goal, one example.

A good start but that's all it is.

redsetanta

I see that the Galway game against Offaly was eventually abandoned due to fog. Galway were giving them a bit of a beating at that stage anyhow.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Quote from: redsetanta on January 08, 2024, 12:11:44 PMI see that the Galway game against Offaly was eventually abandoned due to fog. Galway were giving them a bit of a beating at that stage anyhow.

It was 3-11 to 1-8 at half-time, I think. What was it when it was abandoned?

redsetanta

burdizzo

Seemingly, the Offaly goal was a joke, and the Galway 'keeper never even saw the ball. One thing playing football in fog, but hurling?!! Luminous yellow sliothars could be the answer!

mcwregor

First teamers missing from Offaly game
R Mullaney
P Maher
R King
P Purcell
M Keyes
D Hartnett/FC Fennell

Didnt start but came in
P Delaney
W Dunphy

Players Abroad ( Looking unlikely we'll have any of them)
C Dwyer
S Downey
J Keyes

Looking like a decent panel of players at present, there will be considerable competition for places this year by the looks of it. Would love to see a fit cha dwyer leading the line up front but it looks like hes not going to be around.

Absentees (Not committed/asked in)
J Kelly
E lyons
C McEvoy
PJ Scully
L Obular

burdizzo

Heard some chat that Mullaney was going abroad in the summer. Hoping the timing of that doesn't affect his ability to commit. Didn't see him at the Offaly match, all the same.

In the 'absent' category, Macca is one that would be no harm to have, I'd have thought. The others have probably given their best by now, and I don't think Obular has the hurling for inter-county level.

Ballygowen

Quote from: burdizzo on January 09, 2024, 08:45:44 PMHeard some chat that Mullaney was going abroad in the summer. Hoping the timing of that doesn't affect his ability to commit. Didn't see him at the Offaly match, all the same.

In the 'absent' category, Macca is one that would be no harm to have, I'd have thought. The others have probably given their best by now, and I don't think Obular has the hurling for inter-county level.

agree with the above, although J kelly of R/E would surely be a  big addition, he wouldn't be that old? I don't know if he's not committed or wasn't asked back in, but i would have him in.

les Antiques

Quote from: Ballygowen on January 10, 2024, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on January 09, 2024, 08:45:44 PMHeard some chat that Mullaney was going abroad in the summer. Hoping the timing of that doesn't affect his ability to commit. Didn't see him at the Offaly match, all the same.

agree with the above, although J kelly of R/E would surely be a  big addition, he wouldn't be that old? I don't know if he's not committed or wasn't asked back in, but i would have him in.

Jack Kelly's form for the County has been pretty average since Eddie Brenanns first year in charge. 
Don't think he is a huge loss.
Mullaney would be a loss if he's not around for championship.

Laois Rising

We have a good mix of talented young players joining the panel and chomping at the bit to make their mark combined with very realistic and tangible expectations of winning silverware this year to create a feel good, buzz to Laois hurling for 2024. A positive and winning environment will hopefully help bed in the young talent coming through. A year of Division 1 losses and bad beatings in a Leinster championship could have knocked the players development, interest and enthusiasm. Barely missing out last year when we were the strongest Joe McDonagh team by the end of the the group stages of the competition might prove a blessing in disguise for us. 2024 gives the management team to space and games to blood new players, create a winning mentality and hopefully have us in a stronger position in 2025 when we potentially return to division 1 hurling and the Leinster championship proper.

les Antiques

Pre season or not conceding 6-29 against a depleted Galway is shambolic. Is Maher Making any progress at all ?

SpeculativeEffort

We actually played lots of good hurling  and there were plenty of positives.

I suppose the major thing would be to plug the gaps and stop conceding goals. The Galway FF line looked like creating goal opportunities every time they got the ball. LOC did plenty of good things at FB but was vulnerable if turned at all. Lee Cleere was similar unfortunately. Both are excellent hurlers but maybe better suited elsewhere. Hartnett is due to come back but we need a 3. Would Podge Del or Mullaney be suited. Also wonder if Fiachra C Fennell might be best suited to 2 or 4.

Outside of that Aaron Dunphy was good, D Dooley set up the goal brilliantly and did well overall. Quinlan also looked really dangerous in possession.

It might not have been Galways strongest team but their pool of hurling talent is much much deeper than ours. They have 40-60 Fitzgibbon cup hurlers every year. I think we are in the 10-15 category for past 10 years.