Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Any decent city breaks from Belfast around Halloween? Looked at Krakow but I think I would rather go in summer.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on August 16, 2017, 08:31:19 PM
Any decent city breaks from Belfast around Halloween? Looked at Krakow but I think I would rather go in summer.
Was there 3 weeks ago. First time there and would recommend it to anyone but not sure it would be as enjoyable in the colder weather. Might be better seeking some heat. A few one here have recommended Lisbon which may still have a beat of heat then.

Owen Brannigan

Quite difficult to get out of Belfast to many places on mainland continent.  Unless you live in Belfast it is probably as quick to go to Dublin for more options.

Recently returned from holiday taking in Copenhagen, Hamburg, Berlin and Prague.  Flew to Copenhagen and home from Prague.  Journeyed intercity by train.

Would recommend any of these cities for a break.  Copenhagen has a climate similar to our own but a bit warmer in summer but would imagine much colder in winter. So we had a couple of days with soft rain.  Hamburg and Berlin were a little warmer but with some rain.  Prague was hit with a mini heatwave while we were there with temperatures ranging from 28 to 36 degrees.

Rois

Providence, Rhode Island?? Wee trip to Boston or Cape Cod for a few days now very do-able.

I did Krakow in early December and it kind of suited the place to be cold and grey.

ONeill

Come to Tyrone.

Marvel at the Ardboe Cross or play football facing the lough and swallow midges. Embrace the mountains of Pomeroy and gaze at the hills above Drumquin and the verdant braes of Brocagh. Drive around the Hollywood of Tyrone, Donaghmore, or visit Strabane for a bit of Ross Kemp stuff.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JimStynes

Quote from: Rois on August 16, 2017, 10:14:36 PM
Providence, Rhode Island?? Wee trip to Boston or Cape Cod for a few days now very do-able.

I did Krakow in early December and it kind of suited the place to be cold and grey.

Big money around Halloween for flights? I get the school holiday dates so always more expensive. Half looked at Iceland as well. Direct flights from Belfast too.

Rois

October flights were about £200 pp return. Read an article today about those Norwegian flights that said they were v basic but you get there and to smaller airports so no big queues at immigration.

illdecide

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2017, 10:20:25 PM

Come to Tyrone.

Marvel at the Ardboe Cross or play football facing the lough and swallow midges. Embrace the mountains of Pomeroy and gaze at the hills above Drumquin and the verdant braes of Brocagh. Drive around the Hollywood of Tyrone, Donaghmore, or visit Strabane for a bit of Ross Kemp stuff.

Don't forget to come to the "Moy" and gaze over at lovely Armagh ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

Quote from: Rois on August 16, 2017, 10:38:08 PM
October flights were about £200 pp return. Read an article today about those Norwegian flights that said they were v basic but you get there and to smaller airports so no big queues at immigration.

Sorry I meant for the Boston suggestion.

Rois

Quote from: JimStynes on August 16, 2017, 11:07:25 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 16, 2017, 10:38:08 PM

Sorry I meant for the Boston suggestion.
Me too! Flights with Norweigan Air.

oakleaflad

Thinking of a break in Italy, probably May time. Has anyone been to Lake Como or the Amalfi Coast? Any do's/don'ts?

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 09, 2017, 03:47:58 PM
Thinking of a break in Italy, probably May time. Has anyone been to Lake Como or the Amalfi Coast? Any do's/don'ts?
Went to Lake Garda this year - really nice spot - took in a day trip to Venice which was well worth it - possibly a bit far to do a Venice trip from Lake Como.  Great food and coffee, I'm not a wine drinker but the missus tells me it was excellent as well.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Don Johnson

Anyone know of any hotels doing Santa / Christmas overnight things for the kids?

We were thinking about going away for the night with the child either the Friday or Saturday before Christmas?

Something along the lines of this Santa village at the Inishowen Gateway hotel but closer to home?

https://www.inishowengateway.com/santas-kingdom.html

Slieve Donard had the Polar Express thing but it is almost booked up now plus finishes a few days before we are planning. Also seen the Donegal Lapland thing but it finishes on the 22nd as well.

maddog

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 09, 2017, 03:47:58 PM

Was in Tuscany May time this year. Simply unreal. If you like good food and wine then you cant go wrong. Countryside was spectacular. Put up something like 1300km on hire car in a week just having days out but was never more than about 60km from the villa. i'll be back for sure.

Targetman

Thinking of Budapest in march, anyone on here been, any pros or cons , all info greatly received