LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Not looking good for us now, we have the worse defensive record in the League.

Here are the league tables as they now stand
http://www.rte.ie/sport/results/gaa/allianz-football-league/26078/#tables
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

OTF

No not looking good, all results went against us this w/e if Derry and Tyrone could have held out things would have being a lot brighter.
As it stands Derry have nothing to play for v Armagh and you'd have to think Armagh are now favourites in that game, even if we beat Meath say that will leave more than 2 counties  on 5 points and as Junior is pointing out our scoring difference is shite.

Anyone at the game .

les Antiques

Disappointing yesterday once again . Never looked liked coming even close to winning or even threatening Cavan yesterday . The scoreline was misleading . The amount of times the ball was kicked into there goalkeepers hands was unacceptable . I thought there might have been a bit of a kick in the second half but nothing materialised . Good to see Ross back and in fairness to Laois they keep plugging away but we are obviously lacking any effective defensive strategy. I thought OLoughlin and to a lesser extent Robbie Keogh were the best on show for Laois yesterday.
Can't see Armagh slipping up at home to Derry and that Meath forward line will fancy themselves against Laois next Sunday . Really home I'm wrong .

High Fielder

It's only right that we go to Division 3 because we haven't done enough to be in this Division. Defensively we are all over the place and confidence is very low. For the likes of us, it doesn't really matter what Division we are in anyway. League football is meaningless and we have no hope in the Leinster Championship.

BallyroanAbu

Why is it only right we go to Div 3.  Its actually a disgrace I was holding off but Mick Lillis what in Gods name is he doing.  If anyone on here can point me in the way of a plan.  Defence is our big problem for last couple of years yet he plays more open than ever before.  Ross back is a good thing ??? His 35.  He owes Laois nothing but for him it's over.  I can actually see us going to Div 4 if this decline continues.  McNulty was not pretty to watch but at least their was a defensive plan.  This is horrendous. 

High Fielder

Accept the fact that Lillis does not have the defensive players to arrest this slide. Not good enough. Simple as. McNulty had a better defensive plan, fair enough, but he also had Healy and O'Leary who are better players than some we have now. We could well go down to Division 4 because defections will increase as we slip away, but this was all foreseeable and nobody can claim to be that surprised really, can they?

Stad

It's really worrying that no lessons have been learned yet. Our defence was left wide open far too often but that has happened in nearly every match. On numerous occasions Cavan had a simple tap over point with no Laois man near him. They ran at us and always had a man on the overlap. It's far too easy.
Even in attack there doesn't seem to be a plan. It's a case of get the ball to the Kingstons or O'Carroll and let them at it from there. This is not how the game works anymore, this is not club football. You need systems and strategies, just telling them to go out and give it their all won't cut it.
For the game itself, Cavan were comfortable for the most part. They opened up a lead against the wind and we never really got close. We had a 10/15 minute spell in the second half where Cavan sat back but we couldn't open them up, only cutting the lead to 3. If they needed it I think Cavan could easily have won by more.
Brody had a decent game, the short kick outs are working well although some were definitely shorter than 13 yards! Our defence individually were fine, there's nothing much they can do with no protection. Timmons is vital to us. We were 50/50 in midfield, Quigley had his usual few good catches and Meaney got a harsh black card.
O'Loughlin had to move back to midfield, he's doing well in a more attacking role. Kingston had a bad game by his standards but when he moved into full forward towards the end he caused a lot of trouble. He had a shot saved and caught three long balls in a row but was surrounded by Cavan players, the last chance was worked out to Ross who should have goaled.
Merideth can do excellent things then follow it up with very average stuff. O'Carroll with the right ball is very dangerous. It was nice to see Ross back, he kicked 2 points. The other subs didn't do much although Farrell kicked a nice point. Walsh or Cahilane didn't come on  which was surprising I thought.
We have to beat Meath in the last game and hope Armagh lose to Derry. Unlikely I think and us and Meath are likely to be relegated. To be relegated with the best squad we've had in years would be a sad indictment of the management team. Looking ahead we have Wicklow who we should beat but then Dublin. If we go out against them the way we're playing now I fear real embarrassment.

Stad

We haven't been in the 3rd tier of league football since 2002. We've stayed up in division 2 for the past few years with worse squads than we have this year. If we go down the blame lies firmly at Lillis' door.
Edit: And that was when it was division 1a and 1b and division 2a and 2b. So not really the third tier.

les Antiques

If we set like up like we did yesterday against Wicklow nevermind Dublin we will be in trouble . Our defenders stand no chance when you have lads coming at them from all angles like yesterday  . If Cavan were anyway ruthless I shudder to think what the score may have been . They had so much time on the ball particularly in our half .

BallyroanAbu

County Board may well be surprised.  I am not blaming Lillis for where we are, but is he not highly naive playing so open?  I think what we lack is a plan at all levels.  Look I am not the genius going to sort out Laois Football but watching the Derry game I thought the goals they scored have been similar to quite a lot that were conceded in club championship in Laois.  In fairness we are ignoring the quality of coaching, which is not all the county boards fault I would say this is at the feet of the clubs.  We need more of our club coaches (all levels) to go out and do regular coaching courses and the County Board to have an overall development and coaching structure in place.  We honestly dont have enough new people coming into clubs in Laois and driving them on.  This is not easy, Mick Lillis I am sure wants the best for Laois Football but he may have to go before the championship he really is out of his league here.  I don't see any reason to wait for the championship to be over to remove him (risky plan) but I don't think it's going to get any worse.   We need to go with young coaches open to new ideas who are willing to learn and improve.  I can see us scraping over Wicklow giving it a good go before being hammered by Dublin before been beaten in first round of qualifiers.  We prob will concede an average of 20 points a game at this.  We need to have an open and honest debate with no nasty blame game to sort out whats wrong with Laois Football and begin rebuilding.  I honestly think we do have talent maybe not on a Dublin level but similar to Roscommon or Monaghan.

ILikeStrawberryJam

We have the worst defensive record in the entire league. That says it all.
Lillis is a good laois gaa man but the landscape has changed.
If your not tactically innovative now your gonna be found out.
We lack defenders but we have no defensive plan.
If Jim mcguinness had this bunch of players we probably be looking at promotion.
Dropping to division 3 can be a slippery slope.
Worrying time for laois football.

maccer

It's disappointing for all concerned. Everybody involved wants the best for laois. I do believe it all comes down to coaching received as lads develop. I'm sure if you contrasted juvenile club coaching here with top counties you'd see some differences. Its not all about money either. Club people have r to start educating themselves with current top practices - with county boards help. There is a new pathway being launched in a fortnight and hopefully that will start something but at this stage you're looking at a 10 year project.
Not knocking anybody but underage county managers have to start being people with top class qualifications and ideas. Not just former great players who have given fantastic service and coached club sides for a few years

Stad

There's lots of work needed at underage level but this is the best senior squad we'll have in a long time. We have Kingston and O'Loughlin in their prime, strong, experienced players like Quigley and Timmons. Meaney, Walsh, Merideth, Cahilane actually on the squad and a few very good young players. After this there's not a lot coming through.
We're wasting this opportunity to get the best out of what we have. No offence to Lillis but he's just not up to it, he's actually a step back from O'Flatharta! A successful senior team encourages young players to take up the game. Finances are tight but could those appointed to find a new manager not find anything better?
I had a check on my earlier stat. It turns out we haven't been in division 3 since 1991!

Tony

Get this man out. Sounds like he doesn't want to be there. Terrible defeatist attitude and he hasn't a clue.

https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/mick-lillis-post-cavan

Gmac

Quote from: Stad on March 28, 2016, 03:08:27 PM
There's lots of work needed at underage level but this is the best senior squad we'll have in a long time. We have Kingston and O'Loughlin in their prime, strong, experienced players like Quigley and Timmons. Meaney, Walsh, Merideth, Cahilane actually on the squad and a few very good young players. After this there's not a lot coming through.
We're wasting this opportunity to get the best out of what we have. No offence to Lillis but he's just not up to it, he's actually a step back from O'Flatharta! A successful senior team encourages young players to take up the game. Finances are tight but could those appointed to find a new manager not find anything better?
I had a check on my earlier stat. It turns out we haven't been in division 3 since 1991!
we got to the Leinster final in 1991 don't think that will happen this year.
not able to get to the games so far how is the fitness of the team looking the bigger men running themselves out early and not able to get back in good defensive positions has been a problem for the last 2 years