Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Thinking about the way Gallagher operates, I'd say that this isn't just a decision that was made last week when McFaul arrived home. You would have to think that there was plenty of contact between them over the last few months with the view that McFaul would rejoin when he arrived back.
Ulster League Champions 2009

imtommygunn

If you were training all winter and now McFaul comes in and gets game time you'd not be too happy I'd have thought.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2023, 10:19:20 AM
If you were training all winter and now McFaul comes in and gets game time you'd not be too happy I'd have thought.

Possibly.
Glass returned mid season I think after Oz.
Cluxton in Dublin similar position.

That's just part of what management have to decide on. Weigh up the pro's and con's and try to decide what is best for the panel.
I think Gallagher is a strong enough character to be able to tell McFaul where he'll be at on the panel but also to address concerns for others. He's already proven to be ruthless with his panel selection and I'd imagine this will be no different.

imtommygunn

I think he's definitely straying towards the wrong side of keeping panel members happy though and this is another challenge for him.

seafoid

McFaul had to surrender his passport
Derry don't have much depth in their panel. I would be more worried about that if I were a fan.

oakleaflad

Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2023, 10:52:04 AM
McFaul had to surrender his passport
Derry don't have much depth in their panel. I would be more worried about that if I were a fan.
We have McKaigue, McEvoy, McWilliams and McFaul to come in from yesterday and Glass missed half the game. I think most realize where we are. We aren't expecting all the U20's to come in and set the world alight straight away but we're better having them than a few other players who aren't up to it. Overwhelming majority of the county who are good/willing enough are in the squad. I'd possibly get on the phone to Emmett Bradley again too but apart from that we know where we are. We've come a long way but are possibly a bit behind the top 4 or so counties, no shame in that.

imtommygunn

Yeah it's very much being overegged. Derry still a good team and not many, if any, in ulster will beat them. They aren't quite the level of Kerry / Dublin etc but they were in division 4 not all that long ago so have come a very long way.

yellowcard

You can't expect a lad to come in at this stage and be in the condition required to play top level inter county football so I wouldn't be expecting McFaul to make much of an impact for Derry this summer and even more so in his case where he has played no football in 15 months. But there is no doubting a fully fit McFaul would be a huge addition and he would provide much needed leadership as well. But their main problems are still in the forward division, they simply don't have enough quality around McGuigan to kick enough scores to compete to win an AI title. If they aren't score goals they arent' racking up the 15/16 points per game minimum required to win most championship games.

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2023, 11:07:15 AM
Yeah it's very much being overegged. Derry still a good team and not many, if any, in ulster will beat them. They aren't quite the level of Kerry / Dublin etc but they were in division 4 not all that long ago so have come a very long way.
They should be looking to make hay tho. I didn't think Tyrone were in a position to challenge Dublin/ Mayo/ Kerry in 2021, but we know what happened. They had a good squad but lacked consistency. But it all came good at the right time, as the likes of Dublin, Kerry dipped a bit. I think that's still the case, in that there's no Dublin juggernaut or equivalent on the scene at the minute. So there's no reason why Derry shouldn't be eyeing up the AI. I would also suggest there's prob limited years in Gallagher's approach and I'd expect a drop when he leaves. He's been Fantastic in squeezing out the best from that squad. Not sure he'll be able to continue that for much more than another 2-3 years. So now's the time. Especially as I think counties are still in a bit of unrest with the shortened season, change of structures etc. It's getting harder for the big teams to time their peak with all the changes and that's partly why Tyrone won in 2021 imo.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 03, 2023, 11:21:12 AM
They should be looking to make hay tho. I didn't think Tyrone were in a position to challenge Dublin/ Mayo/ Kerry in 2021, but we know what happened. They had a good squad but lacked consistency. But it all came good at the right time, as the likes of Dublin, Kerry dipped a bit. I think that's still the case, in that there's no Dublin juggernaut or equivalent on the scene at the minute. So there's no reason why Derry shouldn't be eyeing up the AI. I would also suggest there's prob limited years in Gallagher's approach and I'd expect a drop when he leaves. He's been Fantastic in squeezing out the best from that squad. Not sure he'll be able to continue that for much more than another 2-3 years. So now's the time. Especially as I think counties are still in a bit of unrest with the shortened season, change of structures etc. It's getting harder for the big teams to time their peak with all the changes and that's partly why Tyrone won in 2021 imo.

In actual fact this is where Dublin and Kerry have a huge advantage, they can time their peak to June time. While the Ulster and Connacht championship starts this weekend, Kerry are heading off on a 2 week training camp. That's not fair competition.

trueblue1234

Quote from: yellowcard on April 03, 2023, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 03, 2023, 11:21:12 AM

In actual fact this is where Dublin and Kerry have a huge advantage, they can time their peak to June time. While the Ulster and Connacht championship starts this weekend, Kerry are heading off on a 2 week training camp. That's not fair competition.
The unfair provinces have been an issue for years. But they were a stable format year in year out which meant teams had perfected the timing of when to hit the purple patch. The last couple of years the timings are all different. It's that bit harder to plan. I've no doubt the Kerry and Dublin 's will get back into the swing with the new format soon which is why I think Derry should be focused for this year. I don't think they'll have a better chance.

imtommygunn

That is more or less laughing in the face of things tbh. I think the provincials will be scrapped in time. Also the more I see of these robins the more I think they're crap.The super 8s were too.

trueblue1234

If life gives you lemons..  :D

imtommygunn

It's the same for strong clubs who'll win their championships easily. St Galls always used to time their peak and the likes of Kilcoo look like they do that now. I'm sure Cross and Corofin did too.

You do what you can get away with.

Wildweasel74

A game lost in the 2nd,half, Derry should been 5pts up at half time but kept taking the safe option. 2nd,Half fell away very badly 1st Goal was square ball but goalkeeper should took all with him, distracted by the other Dublin player. Penalty, need look at again, didn't think it was a penalty. Last goal, lad was going for a point. Different game once McAvoy and McKeigue in the full bck line as McKeigue didn't give O'Callaghan a kick in Celtic Park. McCloskey likes to go forward and does not suit on a stronger player. Big worry is Glass injured, McGrogan pulled up too. Gallagher got the binkers on to certain players and def favourites. D Cassidy and P NcNeill 2 lads who are fairly good, never get a chance. The panel thin for a reason Good players like J Doherty were let go, some players who drop of the panel previous Yr with no game time, are never asked bck the following year. E Bradley not returning etc. If your 2nd best forward of the bench still at school then you have a problem. Still think we be hard to beat and not worried about the goals, though keeper out the field not working, but it's the lack of scoring power Derry biggest concern. Still not where 3 or 4 of the top teams are.